Tai Cheng

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by LoChu, Sep 7, 2013.

1. LoChu

LoChu Valued Member

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

No, it's Tai Cheng, an exercise program.

3. LoChu

LoChu Valued Member

I guess that's best way to think about it. Someone just decides to add superficial tai chi movements to exercise program and markets it a certain way...

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Is this related to some type of Tai Bo thing?

I had a boss who got into doing Tai Bo. I told him that was fine for getting in shape, losing weight, and cardio. But that he needed to understand that he was NOT learning how to really punch with power and learning to fight.

A few weeks later he said he saw what I was warning him about. Seems some actual boxer was in that tai bo class and my boss could see the massive difference in the way that boxer punched and the rest of the class.

As for Tai Cheng, is it being marketed as some type of TC? I can't bring myself to look at the link for fear of what I might see.

5. Ben Gash CLF

No, it's marketed as a health and fitness program with an oriental flavour. Mark Cheng is a legit Taiji guy though.

6. Steven Wood

Steven Wood New Member

Does anyone here have an experience with this program? I've been doing it for two weeks now primarily for the purpose of helping my running.

I' m curious what style of tai chi it is based on and if the final form is one of the "official" forms?

Thanks,

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I'd be surprised if anyone here has done it. Why do a Tai Chi like exercise program if you are already doing the real thing?
    As long as you know you aren't learning Tai Chi and you are having fun or getting something out of it, keep at it!

8. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv_k5IQXvkk"]Sifu Robert Dreeben performing Chang style long Tai Chi Form - YouTube[/ame]

9. Steven Wood

Steven Wood New Member

Ben- So what is the relation of the video you posted? I'm confused.

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I don't know what style it is based on (maybe Chang, as per SifuBen's video), but I doubt there will be much 'official'/traditional Tai Chi in this program..

11. Ben Gash CLF

That's the style that he's an instructor of.

12. Steven Wood

Steven Wood New Member

So Cheng teaches Chang?

13. Steven Wood

Steven Wood New Member

Thanks for the replies. I have found what I was looking for.

14. Dan Bian

I doubt it, but carry on :)

15. Steven Wood

Steven Wood New Member

BTW, it is based on Yang.

16. Dan Bian

Thanks.
    I‘ve been on the edge of my seat since December last year, waiting for that update...

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I wondered why you've seemed a bit tense for the last few months. Clearly the suspense has been getting to you! :D