Losing weight at home...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by MABeginner314, Oct 5, 2014.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Doing things wrong at the start is what starting out is all about. As long as you have a competent instructor and you do what they say (according to your abilities at the time) and use some common sense you won't go to far wrong. Just take care of your self and if anything hurts speak to your instructor about it, you will soon learn to recognise the difference between 'good pain' and 'bad pain'.

Sounds like a rubbish gym if it's as bad as you say. Just don't be to harsh on the guys, I would probably look like a 'jock' to you and I'd feel quite ashamed of myself if I had made someone feel so uncomfortable in the gym that they didn't come back. I do make an effort to consider other people and their feeling so not likely to happen but still. Of course they may have very different attitudes to me and might just be judgemental idiots.

Back to the point I'd encourage you to get into classes as soon as you can. Try out a few classes In a few different styles, if you don't like it don't go back. Almost everywhere will do free intro classes / trial periods so try them out then decide what you want to study further.

Post #13 from belltoller is a bit of a rant but it's with the best intentions.

Tough love lol

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

Yes, I suppose that is true! I'm a little apprehensive about the instructor, I had karate lessons as a kid where the sensei was a chubby 58 year old man who couldn't react fast enough in a fight to do anything. I was just reading about what to look for in an instructor and it said stuff like he should have the class sparring (he didn't) and he should participate in sparring (he didn't) and that he should drill specific techniques (he didn't). All we did was kata (if that is spelt incorrectly, I apologise) each lesson. Oh and at the beginning and end we had to shake our arms and legs to stretch and warm up. I didn't know better though, I was a kid and my dad wanted to make sure I could "handle myself" since I'm not a violent person.

It isn't that they look like jocks, it is the way they act. As I said it is really a subgroup of them, some of them are okay - you know, they just want to do what they go there to do.

I'd feel obligated to continue with the classes, at least for a little while but that might be a good thing so that I know for sure that it's not for me before quitting that style (i.e. it isn't just because the style doesn't feel right because I'm no good!)

No I would much prefer straight answers, I appreciate a rant. It is far better than sugar-coating!

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Doesn't sound like you had a great experience in the past but don't let that cloud your future :) I can't speak for the clubs in your area specifically but I'm sure you can find somewhere much better than what you saw as a kid.

You shouldn't feel obliged to keep going back to a club if you don't like it and if your asked afterwards what you thought saying it wasn't for you is perfectably acceptable. At the end of the day you will be investing time and effort there, it has to be enjoyable or it will be frustrating for both you and the sensei.

To a good instructor you ability does not matter but your enthusiasm and willingness does, same goes for the other students, you should only be judged on your progress not your starting point. Just be proactive finding somewhere and I'm sure it will all come together, your fitness will improve, you might build up a bit of confidence, maybe make some new friends and perhaps learn how to look after yourself a bit - why put it off any longer !

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Oh, you've met, I see, lol

[​IMG]

Funny, I've rarely seen this type of ego in fighting gyms. The time or two I've wondered into 'physique' gyms, ja, one could cut the air with a knife.

EDIT: Given a number of MAPs members hail from those far and away lands north of the Tweed, you might want to find another term for 'jock' - as it might be confusing for those who are given to quick skims of posts. :p

Hopefully the finger-waggin' was understood to be young-in-the-cheek. Just wanted to point out to the O.P. that even the most ill-conditioned wrecks would be better off training MA in a class setting - a view from hindsight, that is!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

It isn't a fighting gym, just a normal gym but yes that type.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Right. I meant that you would not see this type of stereotypical buffoon at a real fighting gym.

Anyroads, hope you can find the right place!