Shooting in Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Oct 24, 2014.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

What is this world coming to?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

We've come a long way. A hundred years ago, such a minor incident would scarcely have made the news in the country where it happened.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

With respect to the soldier who died and the other people who were hurt, is this a "what is the world coming to" moment? I haven't read any follow up stories but last I heard there were rumours more than one shooter was involved. If so, that's interesting but still puts this up with normal and rather crappily executed possible terrorist attack, which if I remember right was predicted a few days before anyway because of Canada making moves to help with the ISIS air strikes.

If it was just the one shooter then its another story about a random person shooting people and the only really big thing to come out of it would be the possibly lax security.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He was a lone shooter, criminal background with believed mental issues (well more so than the usual scum that do these things) and was a "convert" to Islam. It is believed he acted on his own in planning and in carrying it out

Coming in the back of another such incident the timing made it seem so much bigger in scope.

Yes it is linked to terrorism, but probably not in the "co-ordinated attack" kind of way.

As for the security issues he exited in traffic, shot a lone soldier on memorial duty and was then gunned down himself so the response was pretty swift and definitive

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Quite honestly I think some of this sort of feeling is due to Americans being insulated from terrorism for many years.
    If you think this guy going a bit loopy and shooting a soldier means the world is going to hell in a handcart then living in London during the IRA bombing campaign would've really blown your mind.*

*That's not to make light of the events in Canada at all....merely put them into context of what's also going on in the world.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

And that was a breeze compared to living in Belfast!

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Indeed...just commenting on what I know is all.

8. Southpaw535

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I only caught snatches of the story from the tv at work and it sounded like the soldier was shot inside the building after he ran in holding a rifle. Your version makes a lot more sense. And is also a lot sadder since there's bugger all he could of done about it.

9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I would have believed that Canada would not have had a shooter to make world headlines. As for the London IRA bombing, it goes to show, that guns are not the only thing that injures and kills whenever there is a determined plot

My condolences to family of those shot and those having mental disturbances from direct proximity of this event

10. Southpaw535

Wasn't there a shooting at a naval base earlier in the year? This is definitely not the first time I've seen a headline about Canada shootings.

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

They had plenty of guns. Mainly funded and/or supplied from the United States (Libya sent guns too, but I don't believe for a second that they sent more money over the whole history of Irish civil war).

If only we had drones back then. That's the way to deal with people who support terrorism. Bye-bye Boston, sorry about the collateral damage!

12. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

This happened in Melbourne Australia not to long ago no guns just knives and he nearly killed one of the police officers, he got shot and killed so some of the Muslim community decided to have a protest about police heavy handedness and the fact that they only shot him because he was a Muslim I don't think it crossed their mind that it might have been because he tried to kill them.
    I don't know if anyone on here heard about it in your countries, it didn't happen at parliament house.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...-drape-bodies-in-is-flag-20140924-10lb4i.html

13. KunLong

KunLong Valued Member

It can get convoluted quickly. That's the benefit of gratuitous, simple "cell" terrorism. You put out a doctrine that appeals to those who can be easily tipped and count on all those bad dreams in that head to do the rest for you for free.
    But, I do agree in that I think it was hyped for other people's benefit than to stir up canadians. If a bomb goes off under their chair, they reach for the coffee cup and say "Steady on!" as reasonably as possible. Americans I think get told "you should get really angry but don't dare say or do anything" because it seems to me the goal is just to drive us mad with frustration and a pretense of "stupidity" in our leaders for some social engineering reason....