No formal MA experience - Attempted Board Break - Did I do it right?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Endolphins, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

A couple of years back, I was at my place with a friend, chilling and shooting the breeze, when we decided, hey, let's try to break a board. Yes, we were that bored :p

So, we picked up a wooden slat or panel that had been lying around in a corner of the apartment, unused. It was dense wood, not too thick but thick enough to have warranted a bit of uneasiness on how to approach the break as we had no formal experience of martial arts and the technique we'd have to use etc. He was a rugby player though and I was into fitness and sports so we figured it would be a fun little challenge.

So it was decided my friend would hold, and I would attempt the break as he was convinced the wood was too thick.

Standing there, I tried to think about what I've seen related to martial arts (films, demonstrations, friends who talked about it etc) that I could implement, together with my own instincts to try and accomplish the task without possibly spraining my wrist and looking like a total jackass lol.

First things first, as I'm right handed, I decided it was a no brainer to attempt the break with my right. Pretty straightforward enough.

I then remembered to become aware of my breath, and started to breathe in and out more deliberately and in a more controlled manner as a buildup for the attempted break. Having played sports and being into fitness, I knew how important breath was for all things physical and that it also helped to still the mind, as done in meditation etc for better concentration and focus.

Next, there was the consideration on how I'd execute the punch. I rummaged around in my memory and remembered a public karate demonstration I had seen once, where the people were performing kata. I had picked up that stance seemed to be another crucial aspect of the martial world, and stance is important in many sports as well. I also noticed how they were punching, tucking in the non-striking arm, forearm facing the ground, whilst simultaneously shooting out with the other arm in one fluid execution of movement. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looked like this helped with momentum, balance and explosiveness? So I decided I would try mimic it as best I could.

Regarding the stance, I figured for balance and steadiness during the attempt, I would stand with my feet apart, left foot in front of me and right foot behind me to help stabilize my upper body weight during the strike.

I also rememebered seeing a boxing video of a guy wind-milling his striking arm before a punch was thrown, as it supposedly built up a lot of power or energy in the arm and hand for more generation of force during the punch. Reminded me of those old Popeye cartoons lol. It seemed zany at the time and I had no idea if it would work or not but I was willing to give it a go and incorporate it into my strategy, just in case. I figured I needed all the help I could get.

The next thing I considered, was to visualize my fist passing through the board, before and during the actual attempt and to really believe that it would occur no matter what without a doubt in my mind. My friends and I had practised visualization whilst playing soccer and had seen some interesting results with that.

My friend looked doubtful as I prepared for the attempt. He didn't say it but I coud see it in his eyes but I thought what the heck, worth a try anyway.

So long story short, I implemented all of the above and remembered to exhale forcefully druing the actual strike. I didn't shout or kia or anything like that during the exhale though, I kind of just blew my all my breath out, as if I were doing a pull-up or something. I also leaned a bit forward with my hips to try get more momentum into the punch, clenching my fist tightly but not too tight, with my thumb tucked in to prevent injuring it. Correct me if I'm wrong, I basically tried doing what felt right or natural to me in that moment.

Next thing you know, we both hear an audible SNAP and both our jaws dropped as we looked with widened eyes, upon the two halves of wood on the floor.

It worked!

Most likely a very simple task for those reading this and some of you are probably saying, ''That's nothing, I do 100 at a time with my chin!'', but to us, it was a first time thing and we were quite shocked lol.

So my question is; was I doing the whole thing right after all or was I off regarding certain things before and during the actual board break? I'm just interested in the dynamics of it all and what actually goes into a board break or a break of any kind in the martial arts world.

Hope you found the story entertaining at least, from a layman like me with no formal martial arts training. I bet some of you may have even chuckled lol.

After that, I learnt that what you apply your mind to, you can achieve! Well in this case, it seemed to be that way :)

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

3. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

No doubt, I was just interested in the science of it, for lack of a better word.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Nothing you can't get training in any martial art that develops punching.

5. ned

ned Valued Member

It's more to do with the nature of the wood - if it's quick grown , straight grained pine it'll break easily.
    If it's wild grained hardwood like oak you'll struggle whatever your technique .
    Hence why every demo you see involves a piece of softwood which splits down the grain. As a example of good technique it is fairly meaningless - better to learn to hit a heavy bag with decent form.

6. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I'm more drawn to grappling than striking I guess like in Aikido. The board break thing was just trying out something new, didn't know if it needed a specific technique or not, I had no idea lol

7. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Sounds like you got away with it, but to be honest it was a fairly stupid thing to do.

Even in martial arts circles, breaking is controversial because it proves very little yet carries significant risks. I personally have experienced such risks. I have to choose my footwear very carefully now after a slight miscalculation when breaking resulted in a lot of permanent damage in the joints of my foot.

I've done more breaks successfully than unsuccessfully. It is not really something you do because you're bored. You do it because it's easy marks in your grading test. While the only way to prevent joint damage from breaking is to not do it, you can minimise the risk by training to strike effectively. There's a reason why most martial artists train the same technique many hundreds of times before demonstrating it against an inanimate object like a piece of wood.

It was also, quite frankly, a bit silly of your friend to agree to hold the board. In a typical grading test, you'd have two people holding the board, then several people behind them holding them. The board holders are trained to understand how forces will distribute through them. At the end of the day, the board holders are going to hold a piece of wood while something hits it with the force of a sledgehammer. I spent 3 months unable to make a fist on one hand after someone misjudged a kick against a board I was holding. I've seen broken fingers, damaged wrists, severe bruising.

Bottom line, if you want to do silly things, that's your choice. Just know it's not cool.

8. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Was not trying to prove anything or trying to be cool. This happened once in my college days and we weren't martial artists. Was curios if how I did it is similar or the same thing that you guys do. Was interested in the science or energy of it because I'm very interested in chi, breathwork and how to manipulate it etc. Wanted to see if this was common in martial arts as well. I'm into a lot of metaphysical stuff so was wondering.

Also, we tried to be as careful as we could and not be reckless

9. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Best way to find out if you did it 'right' would be to join a class, led by an experienced instructor, and let him or her teach you.

10. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

The martial arts I'd be interested in taking up one day, unfortunately don't have board breaking as far as I know, like Aikido.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Smack it hard and don't go against the grain

There is nothing mysterious about it

Don't focus on chi or anything like that, because frankly there is so much fluff, crap and nonsense out there you are just going to get confused - there is still no consensus on what it is or even if it exists

Breaking boards is a party piece to be honest - it doesn't actually prove much of anything, but looks flashy and catches the eye

12. Hannibal

What are you hoping to get from your training out of interest?

13. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Chi can be as real as the air you breath, or as rubbish as some of the myths that surround it. It all depends on how you look at it.

If you view it as some magical ethereal energy source that no instrument can measure, I personally believe it's utter tosh. If on the other hand you view it as nothing more than the efficient use of your own energy, by using mental focus to achieve the optimum firing sequence for your muscles, then it is very real and demonstrable every time you do anything even slightly impressive.

14. Hannibal

Not disagreeing as such, but I can probably find a 1000 people who instantly disagree with you and who have an extensive CMA background and technically are far more qualified on it than you or I ....hence I stress avoid!

15. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

Lol, it does look flashy and eye catching for sure but that was not my intent or why I tried it.

Regarding the idea of chi/ka/ki/prana or life force energy or whatever people want to call it, I practice a form of Qigong called Spring Forest Qigong which deals with harnessing the life force energy all around us and using it to clear blockages in the energetic meridians of the body, for healing, strength and well-being and in making conditions right in the body to regenerate and heal itself.

Regarding my own experiences, I've had beneficial results from practicing it. I've had nagging lower back pain disappear quite nicely after practicing this kind of Qigong for a while, have slept better and have gotten better performances out of my work-outs than when I wasn't practicing. Have definitely seen and felt a difference in my mind and body. Anyone can do it though, I'm not 'special' :)

Sometimes when I practice the movements and specific breathing techniques, I feel sensations, almost like electricity or electromagnetic energy tingling in my hands and in other parts of the body as the energy flows and does its thing. Although it may not be seen with the naked eye, it can definitely be felt, well I speak for my own experience with it. Check out the video below to hear the benefits from an MD.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ch4mbXdwEA"]Greg Gerber, MD on benefits of Spring Forest Qigong - YouTube[/ame]

I had honestly thought that most martial artists would at least heard of this kind of thing before or if not, done it or used it themselves for their own reasons in their practice. Sure there are phonies out there who claim grandiose feats that can be seen through, that's a given. However, I personally feel, at least in my own experience, that this is not the case for Spring Forest Qigong. And it's not rocket science either. Correct breathing practice can work wonders for the body and mind. But don't believe me, take it for testing if you so desire.

If you'd like, try it or look into it more. I personally love it!

16. Endolphins

Endolphins Valued Member

I'm not training Aikido. I had been considering trying it out sometime down the line.

What I hope to achieve from its training? I guess I like to explore the body and mind, so would be interesting to see what this kind of practice could offer me.

I'd honestly keep an open mind about it and see where it takes me

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  17. Hannibal

Aikido may well fit that bill as would Taiji (arguably that fits better, but that is subjective)

18. Hannibal

I do chi gung and also my non-martial practice has elements that would raise many an eyebrow....and most of it is still nothing more than just being able to listen to your own body and it is neither energy nor force but just a good connection between mind and muscle

It offers little that cannot be duplicated by "non chi" means

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  19. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

Nobody agrees. That's why I stressed it was my opinion. I've read books by grandmasters of various arts who admit it's a matter of opinion.

Logically, every nerve ending in our body communicates with the brain. The brain controls every muscle. So it follows that body and mind are not seperate. It's all one and the system complex system.

If I do bicep curls. My biceps will become better developed. If I practice a front kick over and over, my front kick will become better. It follows surely that if I practice the integration of nerves and muscles and brain to make the one whole system work better, surely it follows that it will as a whole improve. Is this not qigong, the practice of cultivating chi? But at the same time, is it not just the same as focusing the mind on the objective?

20. Hannibal

To your and me yes....to lots of TCMA folk no