The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by David Harrison, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Take a chill poll and let's all keep it friendly please folks :)

Mitch

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Great idea.

Hands up who's chilled :D

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

There's no way to determine that from the information given, but I'd be surprised if it was substantially different than that.

Yes, you were lied to. Yes, environmental measures often seem to cost more and flouting them enriches some people. If you destroy a set of wetlands to build a shopping mall, the shopping mall owners make a lot of money, but the taxpayers might have to foot the bill for a water treatment plant to replace the work that the wetlands were performing. Yes, our economy might take a hit in the short term by combatting global warming, but long term it's the only way to sustain that economy. The reason you were lied to is that there is money to be made by delaying those environmental efforts - look into who funds anti-climate change research.

Yup. Australia has seen gigantic plagues of cane toads, rabbits, and mice. You see the same sort of plagues in other island nations. Going back a few thousand years, you can see marsupials wiped out of South America when they came into contact with North American placental mammals. It probably doesn't have very much to do with no till farming.

Invasion biology is an awesome topic, I'd look up some of uhhh.... shoot what's that guy's name. He worked with Losos on some anole stuff, maybe Kilmeade? I'll have to get back to you. Essentially just invasive species can do very, very well in environments that aren't used to them.

[​IMG]

5. philosoraptor

Anyone remember when we had that rape culture thread and a lot of people were like "Noooooo, our culture neeeeever excuses sexual viiiiooooleeeence."

Yeah, good times.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

nope, sorry, never going to be chill when foolish nonsense is posted.

7. Giovanni

or remember when all these racists were saying "there's no racism in america, we elected a black president."

8. philosoraptor

I think I pm'ed David Harrison about that actually, wondering what those guys would say about a culture that excused, ignored or endorsed sexual violence and racial discrimination in the form of Trump, haha.

If nothing else he's a giant neon sign saying "SEE? THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE!"

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I just want you to know Philo, that I imagined you as Newt in "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

10. philosoraptor

I don't know who that is, but as long as it's not Newt from Aliens we're good.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Do you not want a little hot chocolate?

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Just like there can't be anything racist about the North Dakota pipeline being redirected away from white folks who complained about it by sticking it through Sioux territory. Because, you know, there's a black guy in the White House, so racism can't exist anymore.

13. Ero-Sennin

If you've seen a picture of him, along with his personality and interests, you CAN'T see Newt as anything but Philo! xD

14. philosoraptor

Haha, my hair's gotten out of control lately and I've been getting Frodo Baggins a lot :O

I looked up Newt and I think I need to actually sit down and watch all the Harry Potter films at some point, guy sounds awesome.

15. Ero-Sennin

No connection to the Harry Potter world except being the author of a textbook Harry uses in one of the books (maybe movie) beyond the world setting. It's pre-Harry Potter material. The movie is in theaters now!

Ok, enough of the aside. Back to the world ending.

16. Giovanni

don't worry, it's cool. we've got a sexually aggressive alpha that's going to take care of the chinese and their hoax.

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I didn't excuse sexual violence. To me there is a difference between being sexually aggressive and rape. I can go to any bar/club and see it in action a hundred times over. Jock with lots of testosterone and even more hair gel. The guys who ask a question with out asking a question. "Hey, dance with me!" They mask their requests as demands. They also have no problem getting shot down, which happens a lot. It doesn't even phase them. They brush it off and move on immediately to another inebriated female.

Now if the quote of mine you quoted came off as me excusing rape and other sexual violence then I apologize.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  18. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Fine and dandy, but attacking me with condescension and insults is not going to move me any further or faster then I am moving currently. I would love to have a civil talk with you. Yes some of my links were nonsense, but I figured I would post were I was getting my information rather then just spout what they were saying with out at least citing them. I am glad I did, as their debunking by phil and David(in a non insulting way I might add) lead me to doing more reading and learning of their flaws. I would not have learned what I have learned so far in this thread with out posting them. SO I will continue to do so.

You're attitude wont win over any converts mate. You need to figure that out. Right or wrong, you need to be a better evangelizer.

19. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

This thread isn't about Donald Trump, who appears to either be talking out of both sides of his mouth or is actually about to do a about face, if only a bit, on Climate change. I say this because he had a meeting with Al Gore today, and is likely to have another one.

There is a lot about him I don't know, climate change is one of those things. On oneside he says what the base republicans want to hear.. I.E slam the Chinese and say Climate change is a hoax. However there are links, that have been shared earlier, that show him saying something else in private. So with him I personally don't know were he stands.. For all I know he may appoint Gore to the EPA or some such.

My only problem with Gore is he comes off as a tad hypocritical. I remember reading about his home back in the 2007 energy crisis and it uses more energy then a small town, or so the Documentary said.. That and he fly's around on a private jet.. Would have expected the biggest name in climate change to travel more ecologically friendly and have a modest home.

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I will look forward to that. I will give my googlefu a try and see what I come up with. If only for the fact I find it fascinating, the effects and how they tried to fix it.

Found my self trying to spot the no till fields as I traveled around today. Saw one corn field that might be, but it was surrounded by others that were tilled so I expect that was just a field waiting to be tilled.

I want to try no till gardening if only to reduce the work I have to do pulling and hoeing weeds..

EDIT. Found a interesting article on convincing conservatives on climate change. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2014/09/how-to-convince-conservatives-on-climate-change.html Having read it say they are on the right track. The messages that I currently see in news and other media I watch are more tailored to the left among us. As defined by the article. I would think that a tailoring of the message to conservative values would help reach them.

I also think that just the economic argument, not from a doom and gloom perspective but one from a, "there is a lot of wealth to be made in this endeavor" perspective can also go quite a ways to convincing conservatives.

The biggest problem as they laid out, and I mentioned before is that climate change and its reform became a part of a team. The Left team. It is considered linked to the DNC and by ideology alone conservatives will out right reject anything reforms they see as a victory for the Democrats. Yes I know, Holy would say, it is insane. Well that is also called the political reality. I think the biggest change that needs to come to climate reform is two fold. First, find a way to unlink it from the democrat party. Take away the perception for the base republican voters that it is a concept of the other team, and that aligning with it wont help them or give them victory. For that to happen that means that what ever reforms are made, that BOTH parties need to see equal benefit. Other wise the base will continue to see it as the other team.

Second, the way climate change is addressed with Republican base voters needs to be changed. I think emphasizing how exactly climate change reform is conservative and how it fits in conservative values will go along way with them. Also the economic benefits, real and tangible benefits, need to be shown. Deemphasize the doom and gloom, and blame games, that will put them in defensive and lock them up from even considering the point.

Take me for instance, as I have been learning about NO till farming, I have moved quite a bit on that position. I came in to it staunchly against it. But as I read about the real world economic benefits farmers are seeing because of it, I am warming to it substantially. Those economic benefits of no till are not just theoretical ones, saying we will take a hit but it will help the economy eventually kind of thing. They say benefits with in a short time(Short for farming that is).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016