Gut flora and health

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Dec 3, 2016.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I've been researching this a lot and found this post on Reddit. I'm hoping we can talk about it here.

Source thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/4r33o7/gut_bacteria_play_an_important_health_in_weight/?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm not going anywhere fecal transplants. I full of it as it is...dont need more of anyone else's!!

Gut flora seems to be the popular topic in regards to health right now. Although I'm a bit dumb so its like going to school again reading about the vagus nerve etc.

Also as an IBS sufferer it'll probable a good idea for me to read up on this.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I'm always confused by all the discussions re gut problems.

I have a sister in law who has suffered for years because of her gut and she has done exceptionally well with a combination of low fodmap and probiotic replacements (could be kefir, could be buttermilk, could be commercially isolated cultures... ). The low fodmap diet has been shown to significantly help IBS sufferers.

For anyone wanting to look at it , here is the site of the doctors who started the low fodmap diet http://www.med.monash.edu/cecs/gastro/fodmap/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1Hzl9o5ic

LFD

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You would think differently if you had Crohn's or ulcerative colitis! I believe it has been quite successful in relieving symptoms.

Oooof...I wish I hadn't just eaten those donuts. Ouch!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Good thing I don't then ?

:p

I've had IBS since 2003ish. Dropped down to about 9stones at one point as I couldn't hold anything down other than plain congee (chinese rice porridge) and some plain boiled pasta with a splashing of soya sauce.

Bit of food experimentation and lots of time in er....deep thought. Everything seems to balance things out. Just have to put up with the odd belly ache.

6. Bozza Bostik

I would do the transplant if there was a chance it was going to make a huge difference to my health.

I'm on an elimination diet for Crohn's, but I keep breaking it and eating what the hell I want. It's ok for a while as the diet I'm following is also supposed to heal the stomach and sort out the gut flora, so I can get away with eating anything for a while...then after a few weeks my stomach is a mess and it's back to stage one of the diet. :D

It's a very stupid vicious circle. Thankfully my symptoms are relatively mild.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

I've lost about 4 lbs since I started researching this. I've noticed that my mood has gone up and I've more energy to spend.

8. Bozza Bostik

Just the researching has made you lose weight?!?!? Well I never...;)

Are you actually having problems related to gut health or are you just doing this to be healthy in general?

9. AndrewTheAndroid

Lol well when a book is in front of my face instead of junk food, I guess you can say it's had an effect.

I've had undiagnosed bowel problems for a while now, probably related to my weight. My sister sent me some stuff gut health and it really intrigued me because I have a lot of symptoms related to having a poor gut.

10. Bozza Bostik

Get it checked mate. It might mean having cameras stuffed down and up you and it really isn't much fun, but better to find out.

Could be just stress or weight or bad diet. But it could be a food intolerance, allergy, IBS...or hopefully not...an IBD.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

Re. the fecal implant , a old friend of mine had one recently following a near death incident when he developed an infection/virus after working on open sewerage and subsequently ended up in an induced coma.
    He swears he now feels better than ever , although I don't think he had any part in the decision making at the time and was spared dwelling on the nauseas prospect . He also ended up losing a number of toes but I think he's just happy to still be around !

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Go to a dr and get it checked out properly, self medical diagnosis is worse then self training in martial arts.

13. Bozza Bostik

If it is an IBD (and I doubt it's that serious), it can lead to far greater problems than wasting a lot of time on the toilet reading utterly pointless self-absorbed nonsense on FB on your phone. And that's bad enough.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  14. Bozza Bostik

As well as the fodmaps diet you could also look at other diets if it is IBS or an IBD. They're pretty much the same but with some slight differences depending on their theory.

• SCD (specific carbohydrate diet)
    • GAPS
    • AIP (auto immune paleo)

15. AndrewTheAndroid

I'm on a low sugar, low carb diet now. I tried paleo before but it didn't really work for me.

16. Bozza Bostik

Yeah. All those diets are pretty much low carb, low sugar, no processed food, no gluten and certain types of dairy (or all) is out. As said, they're pretty much all based around the same idea...carbs are pretty bad for your gut health.

But they're kinda tweaked depending on the individual, except SCD, which is super strict and even a food that doesn't cause you problems as an individual is "illegal".

They are all very restrictive and not easy to stick to...or at least not for me. :)

17. Dead_pool

Id definitely get a diagnosis of something and seek a dietitians advice before heavily restricting your food intake, I eat a variation of FODMAP for the majority of home meals due to my partner, and it definitely isn't that healthy for people without those actual medical conditions.

Some types of carbs are bad for your gut if you have certain conditions, if you havn't those conditions, then not only are you fine to eat them, to not eat them is more unhealthy.

18. Dead_pool

I see people regularly who have had to have portions of their Gut out because they cant sort out their diet.

Don't be that guy.

19. Dead_pool

Why?

20. Bozza Bostik

That's interesting. As far as I know with Crohn's disease (I got diagnosed about 3 years ago) foods only aggravates the symptoms, not the disease itself.

I just love hearing about someone's low carb gluten free lifestyle these days. :bang:

Edit: I think all those diets aren't good long term and think people should add the "bad stuff" after some time on the diet and see what they can handle.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016