Dating a Chinese woman?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ShadowHawk, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Anyone ever dated a Chinese woman. She is a few years younger than me, she hasn't been out of China for more than a year.

Anything I should know ? Culturally ?

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Nothing to answer your question, but I'd say being honest and saying you don't know much about her culture - and to excuse you if you do something that can cause her offence because of cultural differences - is for the best. Not to mention it can be a true ice breaker if you start talking about said cultural differences. I've lived with some folks from Bulgary for a while and we never seemed to run out of conversation topics.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

There's no middle age among asian women. One day you will just wake up next to a carpet.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

They love money and they love family. Get in the way of either of these two things and you're in for a bad day.

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

What wildings said :)

Not only are you putting your excuses in early but it's a good start to a wealth of conversation. She will probably be more than happy about you taking the time to learn more about her heritage and culture.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Being Chinese myself and I married one.
    What is it that you wanna know?

Just treat her like how you would anyone else you dated. She'll tell/guide you anything culturally and vice versa.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Don't do that mouth thing where you try to imitate badly subtitled kung fu movies.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tell her she's one in a billion?

9. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

I don't know how old you are, but I guess the answer is likely no, I have never dated that Chinese woman. Culturally, I'd guess she identifies with Chinese culture a lot.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Genuine lolz. :D

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Kool! I Maried a woman from the states. She is my age and hot as hell . Hell I married the model. I am only now braging after 20 yrs because of your post. I bet my girl is better than yours.

Seriously. So what!

12. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

DBI dated a Korean girl for a while. Guess what? No one cares.

Wow it felt good to act like a child for a miminute.

13. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

I've had two, once they latch on they stick like super glue be prepared to be all consumed and controlled, slowly but surly.

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I married a girl from the PRC. Two kids and 20 yrs later we're still together. I've to tell you that she was - and still is in many ways, very atypical of Chinese women. I was in University at the time I met her - I was rooming with a Chinese grad-student and he'd kicked one of the girls out for something - then she moved in.

She was quite different from her comrades - very open, fairly point-blank ( a no-no in Asian society ) loved going out to the New Wave clubs - a bit of a wild-one but still had a family-root - a 'centredness' that one typically does not find with Ravers.

Anyway - this'll turn into a novel soon. I'd caution you heavily - I didn't marry the typical Chinese girl - but if I had, I'd undoubtedly be echoing Unreal Combat's sentiments - unless you've spent a great deal of time in the culture you can't possibly understand the subtle differences in how Western and East Asian cultures view things - subtle but very, very profound.

But you are just going out, a long way from needing to know things - so I"d echo Mushroom's sentiments at this point - just enjoy yourself.

One caveat - if you meet the family - it will not only be parents but uncles, aunties, cousins - the position of family members in their society takes on great, great significance - if you want to make the girl feel good, go out of your way to show great respect to the older relatives - things like serving tea to them, offering to take them places, etc.,

Paying a lot of attention to her relatives - more than her, in fact - will be about the best thing you could do for your relationship, should you care to have one with her.

Don't make the mistake of focusing on her exclusively, which is okay in Western Society - its definitely NOT COOL in theirs.

15. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

thanks to all, but bellatoller with the homerun

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks. Hope its of help.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Belltoller pretty much nailed it really.

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Sweet, thanks again guys

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man...there's all sorts of old fashioned racist stuff bubbling to the surface that are a throwback to my childhood in the 70's and 80's. :(

20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I think making tea and engaging with the family is mega important in cultures that's didnt originate in Europe.

On the point of Chinese women "latching on"; I dated one girl from HK and I was young and stupid so she pretty much drained my pockets but that was just as much my fault - maybe more.

I also know from living in hk and having friends of diffferent backgrounds that there are just as many leeches of any culture or gender. But there are also awesome people every background.
    not directed at anyone in particular who has posted in this thread just above belltoller - you'd be an eejit to extrapolate that are there are 500 million leeches of one ethnicity because you dated 2 of them.

I've known people who are leeches when they date one person but very caring when they've dated another - some people just don't fit together.