Dojo Check

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by hewho, Sep 30, 2016.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

So, my lovely lady has decided to join the Jiu Jitsu society (Celebrates) at her university, Chester. It describes itself as 'street survival' which made me want to check their website and facebook. just wondering if anybody knows anything about them? They say their head instructor is 'ex armed response' and teaches to 'law enforcement throughout the world'.
    http://www.chestersu.com/street-survival-modern-ju-jitsu/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/defensivetacticssystems/?fref=ts

I've said to her to try it out, but any advice would be useful thanks, as I may not be able to check it out myself, and I probably still couldn't judge how good it is anyway.

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From some background checking, it looks like the club may have been part of the Jitsu Foundation before heading out on its own. Without seeing more information than what's available on their webpage or Facebook group, it's a bit difficult to say for certain. If so, then the quality of instruction will depend a lot on how experienced the instructor was and whether he cross trained, as TJF clubs can vary enormously in terms of quality.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I looked at some of the photos on the facebook page and it seems diametrically opposed to their stated purpose

Personally i would not go there or recommend it but YMMV

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What the hell is "modern ju jitsu?"

5. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

From their facebook page: "Street Survival: Modern Ju-Jitsu is a style of self-defence based martial art developed from the Defensive Tactics Systems. We practice the best and most usable martial art based techniques for the streets, based off Ju-Jitsu and incorporating elements from a number of fighting styles."

Sure there is some flowery marketing speak in there, but I wouldn't necessarily discount the school as ineffective.

I train Jiu Jitsu and the dojo calls it American Jiu Jitsu. The instructor describes it as "modern", taking the most effective portions from traditional JJJ, Judo, BJJ, Aikido and incorporating Boxing & some Muay Thai strikes (elbows, knees). We also learn some Filipino stick & knife fighting.

I find the training great fun and think I'm learning well. My school presents itself as street/survival/self-defense, but doesn't pressure test though until much later ranks (brown belts & up get 1/week randori session).

The school does offer supplementary kickboxing classes with full contact sparring (the times don't work for me, unfortunately).

So I'd check it out. See if they spar, see how classes are taught, etc.

I probably wouldn't have picked my school if I just based it on the website & marketing material. The actual classes are good though, at least for my goals.
    (If I really wanted just self defense, I'd go elsewhere for somewhere I can spar immediately.)

EDIT: Looked at more facebook photos. Hannibal--what specifically concerned you?
    I saw a bunch of silly photos (e.g., people wearing horse costumes) which I ignored, but the photos of training seem to show that they do armored sparring, ground work, etc.
    Looked fine to me. (I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about though.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  6. Hannibal

The technical execution of the moves was very sloppy looking and there was little or no "progressive" aspect

The problem with many hyrbrids is they tend to be average at lots of bits and good at none, and this drags the system down to where the whole is LESS than the sum of the parts

(as an aside the lack of pressure testing until later ranks is a MASSIVE red flag for me with your system - you may have a different definition of course, but some form of pressure needs to be there from day 1)

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Do they have a university judo group? Will likely be the better bet if they do.

8. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hannibal: FWIW I agree with you about pressure testing. As I said, if I was just interested in self defense I would look elsewhere.
    I'm getting very good workouts and I enjoy learning it. We do a lot of pad work for striking. Lower ranks do sometimes get to free grapple (no striking) during ground days.

I plan to cross train something with sparring anyway whether its kickboxing there, boxing at work, or MMA at work (hoping that starts back up, spent 1/4-1/2 the time free sparring or free rolling).

If I really wanted self defense I'd probably go learn Muay Thai, Boxing, & BJJ at Sityadong which is right near me. (I may do that in the future sometime.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

11. Hannibal

Quite the opposite usually....I am something of an anomaly

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Most of Hannibal's experience comes from the fights he provokes from insecure males by carrying a handbag. :)

#nevergoingtoletthatgo

13. Hannibal

ITS A SATCHEL!!!!!

#INDIANAJONESHASONE

14. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Indiana Jones has an anachronistic WWII Gas Mask bag.

What you have is...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuoUwxCLMs"]A Handbag ?! - YouTube[/ame]

15. Ero-Sennin

I did a report when I was in school once, and it entailed some facts about the military from the Department of Labor site.

Out of all the military branches in the U.S. Military (Marines, Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy), only about 25% of ALL combined forces are "combat" forces.

However, that doesn't mean they all go to combat. That means they are deployable TO combat zones. There's a big difference from Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan which was basically part of the U.S. dropped in the middle of the desert which never got attacked, and Patrol Base Griffin where I was at which got attacked frequently.

Out of the 25%, and I say this part loosely, only about 10-15% of them are Infantry or direct infantry support (engineers, explosive ordnance, motor vehicles, etc.), and not all of them see combat either.

So basically what I'm saying is that probably about 90% of any active duty military or veterans that use their service for talking themselves up in their ability to stop violence . . . well, they're full of turds. They may know the syllabus outline, but the majority have never put it into practice.

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sounds like just the guy to learn squad based tactics with pistols and submachine guns in a civilian setting from.

Doesn't say much abut his ability to scrap though.

17. Ero-Sennin

If somebody is teaching you how to assault with a pistol . . . . just laugh and walk away. 0_0

Unless they're talking about room clearing. Pistols are ok then, but I would still rather have an M-4, or a SAW.

18. David Harrison

Well, I know your cops have gone all crazy and think that it's cool to ride on top of an AIFV holding an assault rifle and all, but over here an MP5 and a Glock is more than enough to deal with armed criminals.

Not sure taking out drug dealers with a SAW would go down so well.

19. Ero-Sennin

Well, according to law enforcement here armored personnel carriers are used to shoot from while making yourself an out in the open target instead of being INSIDE the APC. I mean seriously, you would be better protected opening the rear hatch enough for you to see out of. It really blows my mind. My county has an APC. The dangerous city of Gainesville Florida. You've heard about all the violence here on the news right? . . . . . no? Oh, well, that's probably because there isn't really any but we still needed a million or whatever for that APC!

And a SAW would definitely go down well. You don't even need to really aim. Just point in the general direction and pull the trigger. As long as you lube the ammo belt you wont jam and a few of the bullets will hit em'. It's perfect!

20. David Harrison

Well, someone had to profit from all that surplus from the Middle East.

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye :cry:

Not sure the lawsuits from people in the neighbouring flats would be a great thing either. It's not so easy to get away with killing civilians over here ;)