When to get some gloves/ newbie question

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Smaug97, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

So i'm going to be attending my first proper thai class this/next weekend- hopefully i won't be broken. When would it be appropriate to get myself some gloves? I'm inclined to get them soon as but how necessary is it?
    Also anything i should bear in mind when i go given that i am a noob to thai?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

When I signed up for boxing I asked the coach, "Do I need bag gloves and wraps the first week?"

Just saying.

There's Noob Lesson #1: It's okay to talk with the instructors about what you need for their class.

Noob lesson #2: It's okay to not be graceful, but try not to fall down. Every beginner looks awkward. Every beginner loses his balance.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You're going to look stupid, you're going to get hit. Perseverance will take you far.

Have fun :D

4. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hmmm yes in hindsight that was a silly question to ask regarding the gloves- I'll ask next time I'm down there
    And getting hit and looking stupid are specialties of mine so I'm prepared for that :)

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Wait a month before you buy some proper Thai kit. This will give you time to decide if the art is really for you before you financially invest into it.

When you buy kit I recommend a pair of 8oz or 10oz velcro gloves for pad & bag work (don't bother with mitts, they don't protect your thumbs as well) and a pair of 16oz velcro gloves for sparring & interclubs (if you're on a budget then 16oz will do until you can afford a pair of 10oz gloves). You'll also need Thai Shinguards, 5 metre Handwraps, Gum Shield and Steel Groin Guard.

Reputable brands are Sandee, Fairtex, Twins, Top King (or TKB), Thaismai, MTG, Boon, Windy, Raja, Tanko & Venum (making a comeback thanks to Sittichai).

When you buy this stuff for the long term don't skimp on quality by buying cheaper brands, they won't last. Reputable Thai gear will last you for years. I've had my Fairtex for nearly 6 years now and the only reason I'm replacing them is because I want something new. They're still perfectly usable minus the standard wear and tear.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Good luck with your training.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Pretty much this.

That was also what my coach told me: Wait a couple of weeks until you sure, if you want to stay.
    And then get some gloves first, with the rest you can wait another few weeks, until you're *really* sure.

It was for kickboxing, but the idea stays the same, I think ^^

He was just glad, I had a mouthguard from the beginning.
    But I already had that, so I didn't need to get it.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't worry about it. I still fall from throwing the occasional high kick every now and again.

8. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Hey sorry for the late reply- out of interest how do you rate the thai kit made by rdx? I've got some stuff from them and it's pretty good so far but haven't tried the gloves/ leg pads, also cheers uc for that list I'll check it out when I'm buying

9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

RDX are ok but more low to mid range quality than high range. They're popular with Kickboxers and MMA fighters because of their cheap price. My gym got offered a sponsorship by them but turned it down because they didn't rate their quality.

10. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Yeah I've been going to them for stuff for a while- haven't had any issues but to be fair i haven't used many other makes so I'll do some looking about

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Your instructors should let you know.