What is it called when you mix western boxing with Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Vinny Lugo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So many combine the two that we need a name for this style.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Muay Thai.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Still the same? Why?

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Because you're still using the "eight limbs" of muay thai.

5. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I know I'm new to this but say for instance at the school I train at, the main instructor took traditional Muay Thai and traditional western boxing and combined them together. The stance is more Muay Thai style (more squared off compared to a boxing stance) but instead of taking one step back, forward, and to the side, and whathave you we are dancing around the ring like a western style boxer. Also, I've found that in traditional MT, you are mostly using elbows and the punches aren't emphasized as much. However, this instructor basically took the best of both worlds and combined them together. So this would still be considered Muay Thai?

6. aikiMac

If he's still using feet, knees, and elbows, and if the legal targets are still muay thai targets, then ... yes.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It is called cross training.

8. aikiMac

Ya, that too! :D

9. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yes, all of that is there. The only difference is it's more boxing oriented and the stance is more boxing oriented and you don't have that weird leg thing out that most MT fighters have, where the front leg is out and you are kind of bouncing on it (I think you know what I mean). However the instructor will still do the classic MT fast low sweep kick thing that knocks you on the ground, and he makes you constantly be aware that they can use that move on you.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well we have JKD kickboxing that sounds vaguely what youre describing.

There's also Dutch kickboxing which has a much bigger influence from boxing.

Otherwise your instructor might just be teaching muay thai "with a boxing influence". Like a personal flavour.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What's in a name?

"A rose by any other..." etc

If it's a hybrid Muay thai style or just Muay thai with a boxing influence does it matter?

12. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

No its not JKD because in JKD the punches, kicks and blocks are based on wing chun kung fu and I know what that looks like. I recognize many of the moves too like the knee thrust, the low leg sweep, the move where you like thrust your leg way out to keep your opponenent at bay, and clench then slam your knee into their solar plexus

13. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

No it doesnt matter. Im just curious

14. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

QUICK, edit that before he who must not be named comes to the thread.

[​IMG]

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Glorious...it's called glorious.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

AH, you're confusing JKD kickboxing with JunFan GungFu.

JKD kickboxing looks very different from JFGF. It looks a lot like boxing footwork and timing and had combinations, but the kicks are from karate/savate. It's a very effective style.

17. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So what's the story with that? I keep seeing JKD marketed as JunFanGungFu and then those marketed as Filipino martial arts? That's confusing.

18. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yes, it does seem to be pretty effective so far.

19. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

There are many camps in thailand who have produced both Western Boxing and Muay Thai champs and thus hybrid camps working and cross training both methods BUT muay thai is the mix of westernized elements with original Thai strategies, thats how it evolved into what it is today.

20. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So really what Im doing here is the norm?