Feel better after strength training than cardio

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SteveP, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

I'm not sure if my body or mind just prefer it but I always feel much more satisfied and happier after strength training than I do after cardio training. I enjoy both, in fact I love riding my bike, but I just get more of a lift from strength workouts.

Anybody else get this? Anyone got any insights as to why this might be?

2. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

I get the same thing. For me I think it's more the feeling of accomplishment with each repetition. Something about the significance of completing each movement. It feels more intense and satisfying than say working on an elliptical which takes a lot longer to feel like anything has been accomplished.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I get that too. It might be as simple as cardio taking up oxygen from the brain, or perhaps a different chemical reaction going on?

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Yep I feel the same way.

5. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Yeah I wondered if strength training had a different effect on testosterone levels or something.

Interesting that others feel the same. Anyone get it the other way around?

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Same here. Always get more of a high after strength training. David might be onto something with his answer or it could just be down to the amount of energy expended. Had some horrific cardio sessions which I was just grateful to get through.

I do enjoy both through although I am focusing on strength training at the moment. Planning on starting a training log on here when I get a chance.

7. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I'm the opposite. I always feel so much more cleaned out and happy after either a long punishing run or an MMA/jitz/thai session than I ever did lifting. I also feel better after muscular endurance work too.

I did spend a lot more time in the mirror post workout with strength trainibg though, so maybe I was just distracted :D

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, I feel best after something that works strength, cardio and the mind, particularly drilling and sparring.

I find pure cardio deathly boring though. I love a good brisk walk, and can do that all day (probably because it's easy to think about other things at the same time, I can practice tracking or plant identification or just daydream), but I really don't enjoy running or cycling. Climbing is great too, probably because of the chess-like nature of planning your moves.

I like activities that have a function outside of pure attribute development, and that use the mind too.

I do feel like pure cardio is a different kind of exhaustion though, and not one that I particularly feel good after.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

After you

- run 5 miles, you may feel that you start to lose some body fat, you will feel that something has just left your body.
    - lift weight for 1 hour, you may feel your muscle start to get firm, you will feel that something has added on your body.

It's the lose feeling vs. the gain feeling that may make the difference.

I always felt guilty after my 5 miles running. I felt I could use that time to train MA instead. I don't have that guilty feeling after weight training since the weight training is more closer to the MA training.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  10. Knee Rider

I'll admit I find running quite punishing and find the mental fortitude of leaning into the discomfort and the resulting meditative qualities a run can provide probably more cathartic than the cardio itself. I especially enjoy running without music.

I have been serious neglecting my running (and my training this month) over the last 6mths though.

11. Knee Rider

I feel like the mental, emotional and physical garbage is what's left my body.

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When I trained my Marathon, I could see my body start to shrink in front of mirror everyday. It was such a strange feeling.

13. Knee Rider

Certain parts of me could do with a good shrinking right about now haha NO not that part.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

This is why you (general YOU) should not train Taiji when you get older. To make your body "soft" is the last thing that you want on your body.

15. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Personally I see cardio as a waste of time. Perhaps the Ashtanga yoga is Cardio.

16. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Interesting perspective. I do feel like I've exhausted or depleted myself after cardio and feel like I've enabled myself with strength training. You might be on to something there!

17. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

I'm a bit like this too. I enjoy climbing and MA training as those activities help me use my body in different ways.

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I feel the same. I usually run (or used to run) on pretty smooth forest paths, I can switch off and it becomes a kind of moving meditation. When I don't run on smooth trails, I run on pretty nasty forest paths and I do the opposite, I have to really focus on where I am running or risk breaking an ankle or something. It's mentally really draining.

Most people don't like cardio as they can't stand being in mild discomfort for an hour or two. I'm choosing my words carefully...:evil: You do need a certain mind set for long distance endurance work.

19. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

True. I do enjoy it, in fact I love it and I love the cross country racing that I've been doing. There's something about red-lining for a whole race that is very satisfying.

When I get out and do the training, which is around 5 days a week at the moment, I love being out and it clears my head. I'm a programmer by trade so it's a great way to de-clutter and problem solve whilst working out but I just don't get the buzz from it that I do from strength-orientated activities.

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like to carry several poems in my pocket. I have memorized many poems through running. I can even give the correct name for my 60 different MA techniques starting from the 1st technique and end with the last technique. This way even I'm using my body, I'm also using my mind at the same time. I like to speak one word in my mind when I run 4 steps. This way I can even use my mind training to judge the distance that I have covered.