Favorite healthy food?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smaug97, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Smaug97

Smaug97 Valued Member

Ok so i'm thinking of rejigging my diet now i have more money coming in- i think that the title speaks for itself, what's you're guys favorite thing (preferably something quick and/or cheap.
    Also anybody got some good ways of preparing avocado- i'm thinking about buying some but realised i have zero idea about how to incorporate it into my diet.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Bacon.

Foie gras.

Wine.

Gin.

Whisky.

3. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Treat yourself with avocado shake along with mint and some pineapple slices ;)

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Add some rum and you have a recipe.

5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

pepperdew peppers (the little sweet ones in jars). Om nom nom.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Eggs (preferably with bacon). :)

Eggs are so versatile. You can boil them, fry them, poach them, omelette them and scramble them - with or without added extras. One of my favourite meals is scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onion, spinach and a little bit of Camembert. Scrambled eggs with sliced avocado added at the very end of cooking is a good combination too.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Sums it up pretty well.

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Porridge
    Sweet potatoes
    Veggie spaghetti ( you can get a special machine cuts courgette etc.into ribbons )
    Smoothies , made with pulper
    Lentils/pulses/quinoa

I like avocado just sliced in a green salad , maybe with some anchovies.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The way I've found works best is to take the food you currently eat and try to go one step up the healthiness ladder either through replacement or reduction.

Replace potatoes with sweet potatoes (including fries)
    Replace ice cream with yoghurt (being careful you don't choose one full of sugar)
    Replace white bread/pasta with wholemeal bread/pasta
    Replace Battered fish with fish

And for everything else, just reduce your existing portion size by 10-20% and replace that missing mass with vegetables in one form or another.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Been on this stuff for >80% of my meals since November and I'm the healthiest I have ever been:

www.huel.com

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It makes me sad that such a thing exists.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The blood of my enemies

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Favourite what now?

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

IMO, 2 of the best food that exist on earth are:

- sweet potato,
    - seaweed.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Cut it open into halves. Then with each half, slice the soft fruit into bite-size pieces and scoop them out. Put them:
    1) on top of a salad
    2) inside a sandwich

Or, sprinkle just a little bit of salt on it, and just eat them. Avocados are good.

Or, forget about slicing them into bite-size pieces. After cutting the avocado in half, just scoop out the fruit and put it into or onto most any Mexican food: taco, tostada, burrito, nachos.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Halve avocado, take out stone, crack egg into each half where stone was, bake in the oven (google a recipe).

Otherwise, take the old advice. Eat food, not too much, mostly plants, and don't eat anything that your great grandmother wouldn't have recognised as food.

So a ready meal is often bad, something home cooked from scratch is usually better. There is a reason why most cultures eat a protein and 2 or 3 vegetable portions for big meals. Cooking stuff a lot is usually worse than cooking it a little. Taking an ingredient through 15 processes is generally a bad thing.

Now, all of this can be contradicted in individual cases. You can go into minute details of how much protein/fibre/whatever a powerlifter/professional MMA fighter/Martial hobbyist needs, but the above is a good rule of thumb.

Mitch

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The British. Just have to peel the red coating off them and they are DE-LISH.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I hear tea is very healthy. :whistle:

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Or do what I've been doing for lunch the last few days

1 avocado
    2 pickled eggs (chopped)
    1 tin of salmon
    3 tbsp spicy salsa

Mash together and put into two tortillas as wraps. Delicious.

Avocados go really well mashed into any food that you mix. You can also use them to make healthy pasta sauces, in shakes, etc.