Fueling long workouts and other advice needed

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I need to get serious about my nutrition.

First, I have this one day a week where I work out about 5 hours. I find that often I just hit a wall about 4 hours in. I am tired, but it isn't that so much as I just run out of fuel. I am thinking I need to maybe bring a snack to energize myself abut halfway through? Someone suggested a banana.

Any ideas?

Second, I just need to improve my nutrition overall. I work out 4 to 6 days a week, my average workout being 2 1/2 hours. My next test is for black sash, but I don't think I am eating seriously like an athlete enough. I am 50 now, and I just think I need to stop talking and start acting on eating more properly for the sort of workouts I do.

I understand protein intake well enough from my weightlifting days, but I don't understand carbs. And there is so much conflicting information about carbs - how much and what kind - to fuel a workout. I feel overwhelmed and don't know what is a good reliable source.

Can anyone point me to good sources that are beginning level to start to get a better understanding?

Should I be supplementing my food with nutrition shakes? I know I need to cut down on sugar.

Any good basic advice along these lines would be appreciated.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Basic advice, all be it second hand, I can offer...

...My cousin, an ultra-marathon runner (up to and including distances of 100km) swears by Beetroot juice, about 250 ml, taken about 30 mins prior to any prolonged workout, to help aid with energy levels and stamina. I personally have yet to see any benefits, but that may be due to 1) The fact that my workouts do not go on for that long, and 2) I REALLY cannot stomach the taste of the juice!!!

Regards

Travess

3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

You actually don't bring any snack? I wouldn't make it through a training day without a banana! :D

...that's it for my knowledge about nutrition, though :D

4. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

My opinion is a little slanted but drink some tea. You can add milk if you need some extra calories but I just drink it pure.

5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Porridge!

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

energy systems in the body (bioenergetics):

three, which act simultaneously and produce different amounts of total energy before depletion, at different (inversely proportional) rates:

oxidative AKA aerobic system: metabolization of fats and glucose in the presence of an oxygen surplus. produces the most total energy, extremely slowly. fuels resting state activities and long-term endurance.

glycolytic AKA anaerobic lactic: glycolysis = degradation of glucose, produces pyruvate molecules; oxygen allows pyruvate to be metabolized in the Krebs cycle of the oxidative system (the glucose element, glycogen being stores of interlinked glucose molecules), and its lack (anaerobic environment) causes it to ferment and become lactate (which is eventually shunted to the liver and used to make more glucose), which produces energy faster than the oxidative processes, but will not last much. most physical activity as conceived by most people will be glycolytic.

phosphagen system: immediately available stockpiles of metabolites (phosphocreatine) that give you short term energy but are quickly expended. permits bursts of maximal effort.

your issue is squarely an oxidative system issue, so training-wise you need to look at the methods of endurance athletes such as marathoners (which cause tissue- and cell-level adaptations to better fuel oxidative activity). diet-wise, you're probably just literally running out of fuel and your body is downregulating everything to recover, so more calories in general should help, with carbs and fats being preferable, in that order (and protein and some weight training for muscle sparing/maintenance). for intra-workout, if you're training for 3+hours at a time, it honestly doesn't matter that much, as unless you have a huge meal, at least some of the nutrients will end up in your bloodstream working their magic well before you're done training.

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi aaradia,

Or nip out and get a Bacon sandwich... That fixes anything :) :)

Bananas are good.

There are any number of protein/carb (various percentages) drinks on the market...

BUT - and this is why I am not a great believer in asking people for nutritional advice... we are all different and we are all different every day... Try stuff out and see what works for you - if it keeps working - keep doing it - if it stops working... change.

Good luck.

8. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think having a larger amount of carbs in your evening meal. Would give you extra energy the next day. Also I imagine going to bed and reading earlier than usual would help.

If you don't have a ripe banana, dried dates would also work as a snack. both are nice mixed with a little tahini or peanut butter. Followed by some green tea or an esspresso.

Chilli, ginger and wasabi also seem to give me more energy.

The smell of peppermint oil is supposed to help with fatigue.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Deficiencies of certain minerals or vitamins would be detrimental to endurance performance. I'd think Iron, vitamin D, magnesium, zinc...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/balanced-diet-isnt-enough

this page lists some of the most common deficiencies.

I only know what I've read off the internet. Maybe someone else can agree or disagree with what I've suggested.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  10. Thompsons

Thompsons Valued Member

You are 50 right? Thumbs up man! I have been working out since i was 14, i am getting very close to 50 myself now and i am running out of fuel after a 30 minute intensive kettlebell workout.
    What i want to say is, that i am super impressed that you are able to maintain such a workout schedule as you write here, at the age of 50! No wonder you feel drained!

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Last bjj comp I had a sausage roll and a snickers. Won my weight class. Coincidence? Unlikely.

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Did you mean a marathon? :)

(All Brits over age of 30 will understand. My brain still reads that name on the packaging.)

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Took me a second but I remember. Yes. I can eat a marathon but I can't run one.