Is 20 too old to start Thai boxing?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mark188, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Mark188

Mark188 New Member

I ask this, as I recently got a big scare and wake up call whilst out with some friends.

I was recently out on a night out with a group of 10 friends. As we waited in a queue to get into a club I had to take a phone call.

I went around the corner to make the call. As I talked on my phone, three guys came up to me and told me to give them my wallet, phone and watch.

I really did not know what to do at this point. If it wasn't for my friends just being round the corner, I'd have lost my valuables and have gotten beaten up.

I need to learn a form of self defence, so if something like this happens again, I already have how to defend myself instilled into me.

I did karate as a kid for about 2 years. However, I think I would prefer to try Thai boxing. I also remember it mostly being other kids in the beginner class, with a few adults - this is why I'm hesitant about starting Thai boxing, as I don't want to be the only adult in a class of kids, as I know most tend to start martial arts at a young age.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Most of that incident could have been avoided by better situational awareness.

And no, 29 isn't too old to start anything. Except maybe rhythmic gymnastics.

3. Mark188

Mark188 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

It actually happened right in the middle of the town, when I said "round the corner" I was actually going from a secluded spot right into the busy part to take the call. The city I study in is quite rough, and a lot of students get robbed, so it wouldn't be surprising if it happened again.

I think you must have misread my age, I am 20. But I guess if it's fine to start at 29, it must be good to start at 20!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah... six too many beers... still, at 20 you should be feeling like Captain America. :p

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thai boxing or not - fighting three opponents, because they want your phone and wallet... sounds like a stupid thing to do.
    Just give 'em what they want, since chances are that three people beat a single person.

And: Nope. Not too old ^^
    It just won't make you unbeatable (as will no other MA).

6. Mark188

Mark188 New Member

Yes I know, but I'd at least be able to defend myself. All too often do I read in the local newspaper of students being left battered and bruised by thieves.

With training in a martial art, I would at least have peace of mind knowing that I could limit the damage done, should it happen to me.

Thanks for the reply.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You sound quite realistic in your expectations.
    but many martial arts don't cover situational awareness or de-escalation (just giving up your stuff) or even how to cover up and get to an open area

what city are you are? we can give more local suggestions.

8. Mark188

Mark188 New Member

I wanted to do Thai boxing as, after reading up on it, I feel it would suit me best. I'm aggressive, I always have been. With Thai boxing, I feel I'd be able to take advantage of this and finally use it as a good thing.

Karate never did it for me. The Sensei would mostly teach how to defend and defuse a situation, as oppose to ending it with force. This made me lose interest and eventually leave - pretty stupid of me, I wish I had continued, but I was only about 11 years old when I left.

I feel Thai boxing would be a better fit for me. After reading about different martial arts, this is the one that excites me.

I am studying in Glasgow, Scotland. Being a foreign student here, we are well briefed on how it is a dangerous city. We are told to be cautious of what colours we wear in certain parts of the city due to the soccer teams.

I know how to fight from fighting in the school yard, but when you don't know it's coming, you need it instilled in you how to defend yourself, I feel - you don't have a plan. And in a city like this, where I've already experienced harassment and threats, I feel it's crucial to have a martial art to defend myself with.

The experience I had was a real wake up call for me. As I said earlier, I'm not looking to become an untouchable guy, just a guy that is ready and prepared should the situation I experienced arise again.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Griphouse is the place to be in Glasgow. Anywhere else is second rate.

Also self defence has nothing to do with fighting. It's all about surviving without fighting.

If you're ever in Edinburgh come and say hello :)

10. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

11. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

I hope 20 isn't to old.

I'm 35 and going to my first class tonight...!

12. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

You are as young as you are ever going to be, and 20 is no way too old. As others have noted being able to fight and being unscathed on the streets are different things, but there is lots to be gained from training, and Thai is a pretty good style for many reasons.

As far as self defence goes, I think the Straight Blast Gym had a pretty good credo that revolved around not hanging out where scuzzballs hang out, and leaving other guys girls alone. Seems pretty sensible to me.

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Don't listen to them mate! You're way too old to start martial arts. I suggest you take up fishing and maybe having some quiet nights in watching cricket and moaning about young people.

14. Pretty In Pink

If this man says it you should do it.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I second the grip house recommendation.
    they do may thai, bjj, wrestling and even kali (stick fighting)

I was a foreign student in scotland (graduated last year) and took up may thai and bjj with some coaches from grip house.

never helped with self defence (i just learnt how to talk people down, scottish folks are super friendly if you can relate to them in even a minor way)

16. Mark188

Mark188 New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys, your help is appreciated.

I visited a local martial arts centre today. The guy at the reception suggested I try Krav Maga. Having read about it online, it appears to have mixed receptions. Some say it's 'basic', others say it is highly effective.

What are your thoughts on it? Would it be a good option to choose?

17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Krav maga sucks.

Get to Thai Boxing.

18. Pretty In Pink

Thai Boxing and it's not even close.

19. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Especially with such a reputable gym on hand (Griphouse)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/thai.html

run dont walk here....... current active UFC fighters..... etc etc

Krav in the main, sells something that doesn't even come close to living up to the hype.