Heart rate monitors?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FunnyBadger, Feb 19, 2015.

1. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Has any one got any experience of using heart rate monitors and if so what did you think? I'm thinking of getting one but was wondering if other people rate them at all or if they are just a gimmick.

There are lots of articles online and a few studies and things relating to them but I'd appreciate some qualifications data here, some opinions and such :)

Also if any one has any ideas as to what models are good/rubbish that would be awesome :)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I used to use a Polar, which was a decade or so old, but got a Garmin 610 recently. The difference is night and day. I don't know if it's because the Polar was several generations old, but the Garmin is better in every single way.

I like using it a lot. It has GPS for when I used to run, or now when I cycle. All the usual HR recording, plus time, splits, even the option to track against previous courses, running against ghosts of yourself. You can upload everything to a Garmin website for comparisons etc.

The best thing is how easy it is to use. Plug in a little USB stick and put the watch within 6 feet or so of the laptop and my data uploads automatically.

When the watch is running out of charge there's a magnetic clip that locates on the back of it and charges from USB or mains.

The chest strap is comfy, easy to care for (bung in the washing machine occasionally), and you change the battery in it yourself when needed. I haven't needed to yet.

The watch itself is a swipe screen and you can programme the display to show whatever data you want; HR, HR Zone, Calories, Distance, Speed, whatever. It does this in up to 4 sections of the screen so the display is very customisable.

If you have the cash and like playing with gadgets they're great, and obviously are great for HR zone training.

I'm sure you can do fine without one, but they are fun to play with. :)

Mitch

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I started using one in 2003 or so after speaking to martin Rooney, the way he put it was you wouldn't lift weights without knowing what poundage was on the bar and just guessing each workout by feel, so why treat your conditioning the same way? He even has his guys wear the for lifting, I find them a very useful tool for measuring where you are at during your training cycle and if its having the desired effect or not, lots of stuff to measure such as resting hr, hr recovery, power output at threshold and so on. Use a cheap bhip have done for a decade lets me track hr, set hr zone. And see averages throughout a workout.

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

My Brother has a Suunto quest, and has been banging on about how great they are for about a year now. How easy they are to use, the various sports functions, the upload capabilities etc. He even wears his heart rate strap at Karate, and whether we are doing solo drills (such as Kata) or even partner drills (such as sparring, or break free drills) he says it doesn't get in the way, and he barely even notices that he has it on.

I am apparently getting a Garmin 610 for my Birthday next month (cheers for the glowing review Mitch...!) and given all that I know (as in have been recently reading) I'd say they are definitely worth the coin.

below is a link to the top 10 (rated) Gps watches, which may hopefully give you an idea which makes/models to focus your attentions on.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/the-10-best-running-watches-8656264.html

Regards,

Travess

5. Mitch

I hope you like it now, or I'll be in trouble! :)

Mitch

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I have it good authority that her choice was sealed a few weeks back, so if the watch sucks, rather than blame you, she says she will view you as just another gullible consumer, suckered in to squandering their hard earned cash, on the latest fad.... :cool:

Travess

7. Mitch

Oh, that's me alright! I can race a ghost of my previous runs? Take my money, TAKE MY MONEY!

Mitch :D

8. FunnyBadger

Lol cheers for the replies there guys :)

Think I shall have to invest in something come pay day :)

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

if its for combat sports use then martin rooneys stuff is quite good, as is JOEL JAMIESONs both have trained a number of top MMA fighters and grapplers and written about suing HR monitors for there guys training

10. FunnyBadger

but i dont want to sue any one ! :confused:

in all seriousness though im just looking looking into his material now, cheers for the direction :)