Hypothetical Gun Question

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They have less gun related deaths because they have less guns

How are the death rates overall in comparison?

2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I assume you mean handguns, as rifles are legal to own and use in the UK, as are shotguns. In fact it can be quite surprising what is actually legal in the uk.

But yes I would buy a handgun and use it at the range a couple of times a week. I'd probably store it at the range, as it's just less fuss.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't have statistics on accidental shootings in the US against crimes foiled by armed citizens, but there does seem to be a steady stream of news stories about the former and far fewer of the latter. But it's still anecdotal.

Vehicles are extremely heavily regulated because of their ability to do harm. You have to take a test, right? You lose your license if you use the vehicle in an irresponsible manner, right? There is a database of vehicle owners, right? You want to continue that analogy, I'll happily crush you with the facts.

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

I want my "Thanks" button back.

I iz sad without it

5. Hannibal

This is actually where I lose a lot of my "gun" friends because I advocate this very thing - In fact in Canada you HAVE to take it

To me you should have to prove competency - I have to qualify every quarter at work or I lose my right to carry

6. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Definitely surprising what is legal in the U.K
    To my knowledge it's the size of the barrel and the gun overall (got to be over 24 inches) that's important and rules out handguns.
    I have a friend who had a Taurus .44 magnum.
    Legal because the barrel is at least 12 inches and an extension on the grip was at least 12 inches.
    Obviously you need a license and police checks, proper storage ..etc etc too.

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Bit confused by this as you can still buy guns in the UK, right? They're not banned are they or did the law change?

But yeah, I'd buy one, I shoot with my brother when I am back in the UK so...

Most people keep their pistols in the range here, so I'd just do that. Probably do a course and that 'cause I just think it's a good idea to get some instruction when taking up a new hobby or whatever.

Edit: No interest in "self defence", I'd have the gun purely for the hobby of target shooting as it's fun and relaxing.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

A few years ago you could buy some WW2 Russian anti-tank rifle, like the one on the first Call of Duty, but you couldn't own a automatic pistol. I think the idea was that you can't conceal a massive anti-tank rifle...or a magnum with the grip-thing.

The laws don't make a lot of sense in the UK.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

right, this is basically what i was getting at.

here's a table of death rates in the usa provided by the cdc--2014 is the latest year.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

yay heart disease and cancer: #1 and #2.

10. Hannibal

I get what you are saying, but the deaths per head of capita is what I was asking....In essence if you look a "gun related deaths" you will get a skewed result by virtue of the qualifier...If you look at "suicides" or "homicides" and ignore the means then you get a more accurate indication that guns do not cause deaths and having them does not prevent them so socio-economic factors need to be looked at instead

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Overall thats 100% isn't it?

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Which is funny because 9/10 times the guy advocating that everyone should have and carry guns is the same guy arguing for pure, exploitative capitalism. It's almost like they're just trying to create targets instead of a safe society.

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Homicide rate in the US is 5-6 times that of the UK and suicide rate is 2-3 times. If you only looked at non firearm homicide the rate would only be slightly higher than the UK, meaning that massive number of excess homicides is all the firearm deaths.

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Evidence from the US suggests a man is twice as likely and a woman 3 times as likely to be murdered if they have a gun in their house. After all, who is most likely to kill you?

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No, I wouldn't have one.

The chances of my kids getting hold of it, me dropping it, or Mrs Mitch using it on me because I've (quite sensibly IMO) spent this months mortgage payment on pads and Spartan training armour, again, is just too high. The chances of us suffering a home invasion by intruders who won't flee in the face of a nekkid Mitch shouting, "I've got a big stick to beat you with!" are miniscule.

As a family, we are safer without one.

Mitch

16. Hannibal

Switzerland has incredibly liberal gun laws and widespread ownership with very low gun crime

Japan has strict gun control with little gun crime

It isn't about the guns themselves

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Guns are only dangerous if used in the wrong way. Perfectly safe if left alone or handled correctly.

I don't see the need to have hand grenades in my house either. :)

Mitch

18. Hannibal

You will when the zombie bears come....

19. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Widespread ownership because of the mandatory militia service. Also while they keep the firearms they haven't been able to keep ammunition as part of that for a decade, in large part to combat the number of suicides using those firearms.

And yes it's not about the guns, it's about the reasons for owning them. The Swiss have them for hunting and military use. Canada has lots of guns but they're mostly for hunting and like the Swiss permits for carry are exceedingly rare. The Americans on the other hand carry for an image, a societal fetishization of violence, and a hero complex. Also they tend to have the aforementioned violence causing social problems to a greater degree than Canada or Switzerland.

20. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Wow,man.Like you took that seriously?Well, outside the no accidental shootings in my bloodline.That's true.
    see above.geeeez.

:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:
    Which facts?About what? That I've almost been wasted numerous times by people who took driving tests?As opposed to the very few times getting shot was a personal concern.

Oh,allow me to sit at thy lotus feet and imbibe thy wisdom.

Go ahead,waste your time.Crush me.Not sure how,tho'.
    Wow,Ben. That's really bleedin' insulting.And quite a stunning example of prejudicial ignorance.

What's next,all black people in the US are gangstas?

Holy crap.