What is it called when you mix western boxing with Muay Thai?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Vinny Lugo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Fighting ?

2. neems

neems Valued Member

I don't know what it's called,but I wish I could find a gym/club that taught (and better yet competed in) something between the 2 styles.

There's a lot of useful techniques in both sports that the coaches of the other usually won't tolerate.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I do want to get good. The place I'm training at is literally 10 minutes from my house. I'm literally going to this place 5 days a week. Monday it's:

Muay Thai in the am

Muay Thai in the PM

Tuesday is BJJ

Wednesday I do MT

Thursday back to BJJ

Friday MT sparring in the morning

I'm literally going to this place so much that I'm pretty much on a first name basis with everyone. I really don't enjoy much in my life right now and this place has become my (less violent and more disciplined) version of Edward Norton's "Fight Club". I literally come to this place so much that the people are literally asking me if I'm trying to go pro. Even the coaches/trainers are starting to take special interest in me.

Also, why does it matter if someone is heavier than me?

4. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Google "kickboxing schools in my area". They market the sport I compete in as Muay Thai. However, they say it's really a mix of Muay Thai and Kickboxing according to the instructor. You bounce around more like a kickboxer/boxer, but still keep the squared off stance like a MT fighter and still use 8 limbs.

Maybe you could find what you are looking for if you google, "kickboxing".

5. neems

neems Valued Member

There's next to no good kickboxing near to me,that I can find anyway.

I think what I'd ideally like to find is a completely westernised Thai boxing place,with more emphasis on punching and whatever's effective rather than what scores higher.

I've heard and read dutch kickboxing's like that,but no idea where you'd find that in the UK.

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Are there any jeet kune do schools near you? Its very similar to what Im doing now but it just has a wing chun twist

7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

You can use any style of punching or moving you want in Muay Thai, wether you will win or not is another story
    Is the class designed to be used in real Muay Thai competition or is it just another freestyle class entering freestyle tournaments?
    Think about a snooker coach teaching his students pool style shots and entering them in the world sniooker masters.. maybe a good idea?

8. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

mixing western boxing stance in with muay thai is dangerous. It leaves your lead leg painfully exposed to leg kicks and you will struggle to generate power off the rear leg. In general, the western boxing stance is not compatible in muay thai for a number of reasons:

1. Too side on, muay thai needs a more square stance
    2. Hands held at different position
    3. Lead hand can sometimes be held too low leaving it susceptible to being roundhoused and potentially broken

That said...."dutch kickboxing" famous with dekkers, hoost, roosmalen etc were all muay thai artists but had strong hands. The dutch kickboxers tended to be more aggressive and tighter with hand combos and they usually ended on devastating leg kicks.

"thai style" is the traditional thai style. More squared off stance, less emphasis on hands and much more emphasis on clinching, tripping, throwing, off balancing and absolutely devastating roundhouses.

Both styles have their advantages, thai style is more powerful imo but the dutch style seems more fun to put into practice. No right or wrong answer really, both were unique in their ability

for examples of matches, watch saenchai vs pinca, buakaw vs souwer, buakaw vs kraus, dekkers vs any thai, hoost vs kiatsongrit....

Unreal Combat likes this.
  9. brian matthew

brian matthew New Member

I guess it depends what you want to do it for? If you want to learn for self defense, Muay Thai might be better (the punching aspect is weaker than western boxing but you learn to defend against and deliver more attacks)
    But if you are interested in the sporting aspect, I would just decide which one you enjoy more and stick with it.
    At my Muay Thai club, they have a specific class, "Boxing for Muay Thai", which is only hand techniques, but modifies western boxing so as to not leave oneself open to the other Muay Thai attacks. But one probably leaves oneself more open to western boxing by dividing one's focus.

10. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

The muilti ethnic shuffle?

11. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

The gym I train at offers Boxing as well as Muay Thai.

I haven't taken their boxing classes, but they do make a point of some differences in the Muay Thai class.
    For instance, whenever discussing lead hooks, they show us how in Boxing you would use a larger range of motion with the front leg pivoting sharply, but in Muay Thai they don't want us to do that full range of motion because it opens you up to counter strikes to your lead leg (which doesn't happen in boxing due to the rule-set).

So while I'm a beginner, I'd think a lot of little things can differ because of the different rule-sets. Most of the differences I've had pointed out to me by instructors are ways to avoid making myself vulnerable to kicks, which you don't have to worry about in boxing.