Swimming as S&C

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Knee Rider, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I've been considering implementing swimming as part of my conditioning regimin. Does anyone have any experience with using swimming protocols to increase output, breath control and strength (to a lesser extent)? If so what sort of distances, intervals etc have you used?

I currently run 10k twice a week at 5:40 - 6:20 pace (mins per km). Should I program for similar distances to running or is this a different beast altogether?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

What specifically are you aiming for?
    as in what goal does swimming help you towards?
    does this goal have a direct impact on your MA training or is it better achieved in another manner (e.g. more cardio)

3. Knee Rider

Breaks the monotony of running

Is easier on joints than running

Works breath control

Replicates the demands of grappling more effectively than running

Looks fun

I train Thai, BJJ and boxing 4 times a week, run twice and do pressups sit ups and squats every other day. Just looking for a bit of variety and to challenge my body in a different way.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

so are you planning to switch out some running sessions for swimming - good idea!

have you thought about moving from press ups and sit ups to other equally challenging but new exercises?

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Ah long as he doesn't mind ditching the "equally" part Hindu push-ups make for great bodily torment :evil:

When I did swimming I did it just like sprinting. Full bore for a few laps, take a breath, repeat. Then I would add a lap after I had acclimated to the set distance.

6. Knee Rider

I'd be looking to stick to one weekend run of about 10-15k and add into 2 swims sessions probably, yeah

Gonna keep the pressups etc as I enjoy them. Just upping reps/sets.

7. Knee Rider

I might try the same then. Did you notice any physiological change in yourself?

Regarding dands: I already do them. I actually find them easier than regular pressups and usually finish off a session with a set of 50. Picked em up from mat furey's tragic book back in the day.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Not really. I was cycling hard all the time so swimming was far behind that in terms of how hard I could push technique-wise.

9. Knee Rider

On a side note I've not been swimming since I was 13yrs old so probably it will be worth learning it from the purest of self defence/preservation perspectives if nothing else... Now where is my rubber ring??

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I did it a little more complex than that when I used to swim.

First couple of hundred metres was breast stroke just to get me working.

Next 100m was alternating w/ front crawl (using no legs) and back stroke (using no arms) just to make sure my arms and legs woke up.

The remaining time would be alternating breast stroke/front crawl non-stop, with the last 100m just going flat out breast stroke.

'Twas fun.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

swimming is massively tiring if your not used to it, after a few sessions, its well worth having a lesson or two, just to tighten up your technique

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  12. Knee Rider

I think that's definitely on the cards. One other thing I'm quite keen on about swimming is the inherent somatic/body awareness elements regarding the strokes. I think it'll have direct carry over into improving the cleaness of my strikes and movements in jitz and hopefully enable me to elevate my game in so much as it will directly bolster my ability to focus on small details of movements. Essentially Im thinking it might develop my learning abiluty as well as my physical condition. We will see.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015