Cardio HIIT.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kframe, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

So, a long time ago, I participated in a thread on the merits of HIIT. At that time i did not believe in it..

Well today, i decided to try and add HIIT to my normal cardio routine.

Since running is still against my doctors wish's what with me still a big guy, biking on my stationary is my primary method of cardio.

I normally ride for 10.1 miles, averaging between 13mph to 14.5mph. I normally ride for about 45 minutes.

So today i warmed up with LISS and after that i proceeded to do all out sprints on my stationary bike for 1 minute with a 90 second rest between. My sprint speed would be between 18mph and 21 mph. I found that i was able to do 5 of those sets in a row. However as a testament to my still poor conditioning, i was quite tired after the 5th one. So i continued on with steady state for long while after that, and then did one final 1 minute sprint. It was a struggle to get to 19mph on this last sprint as it felt like i just had trouble getting my legs to pump faster.

After this last sprint I spent the last of my ride time(about 40minutes left) going steady state, averaging between 13mph and 14.5mph.(my speed would fluctuate depending on my concentration, never going below 13 for more then a few seconds. I was watching tv at the same time, so i got distracted)

My total ride time today was 73 minutes. Total distance 17 miles. Now it says i burned 1010 calories. However, it is just the generic number. Something is wrong with this old IRONMAN Recumbent and i cant program my weight and height and age. So im sure the number is different.

So guys how can i improve my rides? How many sets of Intervals should i be shooting for? How long should the sprints and rests be?

My plan is to try and add 1 sprint/rest rep each time I ride. However if you have a better suggestion im all ears. Edit to add. Im thinking of breaking up my ride into three sections. After warm up i am considering adding in 3 sets of 5 sprint/rest with 5 minutes of steady state between followed by steady state for a cool down till i reach desirable distance and calorie numbers. What do you guys think?

I know that Biking will do exactly nothing for my running cardio, as running is harder then biking.(at least according to what i have read. Biking cardio wont help running cardio, even though they use the same heart and lungs?)

However its all i got till im at a safer weight for my knees.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks for that link Blindside. I read the article and sent a email to its original creator.

I am going to incorporate it into my routine. Couldn't hurt right? Not like I have to stop doing my long distance riding altogether.

The question I have is if someone were to do that routine exactly would they only have endurance in short bursts? Would they be able to run or bike for long steady distances as well as having endurance for short explosive movement?

That's the one thing about HIIT I don't understand.

4. Kave

Kave Lunatic

HIIT builds VO2 Max, so it increases endurance (aerobic fitness) as well as building anaerobic fitness The benefits of HIIT vs traditional endurance for aerobic training are covered pretty well here. What you are doing sounds more like FARTLEK program than HIIT.

Personally I like to work a ratio of 45 seconds work and 15 seconds rest, or 30 seconds work to 10 seconds rest. Plenty of people prefer longer rests or longer periods of activity. If you can't maintain your absolute peak output for the times you are using then I would definitely suggest shortening them. The intervals used for the famous study by Professor Izumi Tabata were 20 seconds work followed by 10 seconds rest.

The number of sprint/rest cycles you should be doing per set is really dependant on your level of fitness. You should be completely exhausted after your set, but use common sense (if you are throwing up then you are probably overdoing it). I tend to aim for the 6 minute mark (nine 30s/10s cycles or six 45s/15s cycles). I believe that HIIT isn't the type of exercise that you should be doing multiple times a day, personally I wouldn't do it more than once every two days.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

How long do you intend to run or bike for? There is something that HIIT work has little to no benefit on long distances. I'm in a bad spot at the moment so I'll try and find you links soon. It's something like HIIT has no benefit on activities over an hour and 15 mins.

However, HIIT work benefits shorter distances which will help you do longer distances.

You don't want to do HIIT work too often. If you can do it every couple of days or daily then you're not doing the HI part HI enough. :) it should be incredibly demanding and doing it too often for long periods of time will lead to overtraining or injury.

There is a theory out there that you shouldn't do HIIT for weeks on end. Diminished returns and all that. It should be cycled.

I'd mix up your rides, so some short fast days, long slow days, some HIIT work once or twice a week. But your own aims will influence how much of each you do.

I'd suggest going on an endurance sport forum and asking about this stuff there. It is their game after all.

6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

There's some great advice on here the only thing I would add is keep mixing it up. It's easy to find a routine or a pattern that feels comfortable and stick with it but in order to keep progressing you have to keep your body guessing. Anything ride that involves you pushing your self will benefit you but your body will adapt to those specific demands, variety and effort = results.

7. ambersports

ambersports Banned Banned

Very nice

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This. If you're doing HIIT properly you shouldn't want to do it more than every couple of days. HIIT isn't, "I'm going to push myself a bit," it should be "I'm flat out, I can't go any faster or any longer."

I know when I've done tabata properly I wouldn't be up to doing it again at that intensity without time off.

Now, having said that, there are various protocols, maybe the Gibala Regimen would work for you Kframe?

Main thing is to enjoy it so you want to do it again :)

Mitch

9. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

I'm sort of with you here Mitch. When I was doing tournaments I would do HIIT/Tabata training 3 weeks and 6 weeks out from the event. I did the old school training on a local track; SPRINT flat out, fast as I could go, on the straights and walk the turns. Never was able to do more then 4 complete circuits. I wound up throwing up only once but crawled to the safety of my water jug every time ;) . My understanding of the training prinicple was 2 fold. 1- excellent cardio benefits and shake up to your normal routine. 2- to push yourself BEYOND your own, personal, psychological boundries. In other words, going beyond what your mind is telling you is your limit.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. ambersports

Regular pull ups....Is this wrong for health?

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It certainly isn't cardiovascular training.

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

it could be

13. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

The last time I stepped into the ring, it sure felt like an endurance sport :(

14. ambersports

Thank you buddy