Best fight scene ever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by RisingSun, Mar 8, 2010.

1. RisingSun

RisingSun New Member

What's the best fight scene in cinematic history? I think it's the final fight in Return of the Dragon between Colt and Tang Lung (Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee). What do you think?

2. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Ah, I think it's not quite as simple as that.. Some fights are the best for beauty of movement (say, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon), some are best for emotional content (New Police Story), intensity/ferocity (the one in Ong Bak where Ting takes on the steroids guy), technical excellence (such as the fight in Warrior King where he fights his way upstairs with one camera cut) or sheer badassery (the end of Warrior King where Tony Jaa takes out the room of baddies)

Edit: Left it there coz I had to get the dog in.

My answer would be, for almost all of the above categories, the final fight of The Young Master, between Jackie Chan and that Korean dude whose name I've forgotten. Hell yeah, that fight blows me away no matter how many times I see it :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Jackie Chan vs Benny the Jet. (meals on wheels)

The Bourne films

Benny the Jet vs the assassin who has gone back to his school reunion (can't remember the film)

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Well I am with Hatamoto on this one. I think Tony Jaa has set the new standard.
    Pick anything from Ong Bak or the Warrior King.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

the mass sword fight scene in kill bill and anything from kung fu hustle!

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That would be "Grosse Point Blank." Ya, that was pretty good, especially since John Cusack was bloodied and his suit was all messed up afterwards. He wasn't James Bond who comes out of a fight without a scratch. That one is on my short list. For that matter, it's a good movie altogether!

Best with weapons: the women's temple fight in CTHD
    Runner up: Basil Rathbone's "Zorro" versus El Capitan.

Best without weapons: Jet Li versus the karate guy in "Fist of Legend." They seemlessly switch between karate, kung fu, and muay thai. It's beautiful.
    Runner up: Tony Jaa climbing the staircase in "Ong Bak 2." One camera, no cuts. Outstanding.

7. Hatamoto

I didn't think of Rathbone and Booth in Zorro, that was a superb fight indeed, to show how awesome it is, it's one of my only youtube videos where none of the comments insult anyone lol

8. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

The final scene from Scaramouche for weapons, tho closely followed by the fencing scene between the Great Leslie and the Baron in the Great Race is awsome too.
    The fight between Jet Li and the old Japanese Karate expert, not at vicious as the final fight but just beautiful to watch.
    The final fight from flashpoint is awsome as well.

9. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

his name is master wong in sik and i totaly agree with you on that count :)

10. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

oh yeah, and i would like to add the sword duel between the dread pirate roberts and the spanish guy in the princess bride, for shear entertainment quality :D

11. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

hmm.. I can name a few: Bruce Lee vs. Oharra - Enter the dragon, Tony Jaa vs. the capoeria guy - The Protector, Tony Jaa vs. the 50 dudes - The Protector, and Tony Jaa vs. the swordsmen- Ong Bak 2.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Can't get any better than this. Ikken hisatsu at its finest.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qXlFNYoyQg&NR=1"]YouTube[/ame]

13. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Woah. Awesome.

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

For a more realistic street fight..check out Brigette Jone's diary. Marvelous.

(it's my wifes DVD honest)

15. Hatamoto

It surprised the hell out of me but I actually enjoyed that fight more in the book (which I can't recommend enough for anyone with a sense of awesome!) but I agree, that was a magnificent scene.

I was thinking of empty hand fights. Let's see, for weapons... oh, that only took half a second!

For weapons, the best fights I've seen, you can pick any from The Odd Couple. One of Sammo Hung's best movies in my opinion, the display of classical weapons (spear and dao) is mindblowing.

The end fight of The Prodigal Son is amazing too.

I forgot another category - comedy! Final fight of City Hunter, and the Street Fighter scene - priceless!

16. RisingSun

RisingSun New Member

I forgot to add that honorable mention goes to Rocky Balboa v. Ivan Drago (Sylvester Stallone and Dolph Lundgren) in Rocky III. The American and the Soviet teeing off in 1985--forever a classic.

17. Hatamoto

Just found this on youtube that I thought was interesting and some of you might like to see. Tony Jaa and Jackie Chan, a comparison [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4maSMwC2y0&feature=bulletin"]Jeeja Yanin V.S. Jackie Chan ( ç´å˜‰ V.S. æˆé¾ ) - YouTube[/ame]

18. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

one of my favorite scenes from Once upon a time in high school (Korean film)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLolBrbNmY&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLolBrbNmY&feature=related[/ame]

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

For a bunch of supposedly knowledgeable poeple you have no idea.

Those who really know, have no debate about this.

It's the swordfight in Princess Bride.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3gfFVmw0kA"]Hallo, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.[/ame]

Mitch

20. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Drunken master 2, the final fight scene. It can never be touched!