Wild haymakers defense

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Mar 17, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

So watched a couple of videos from respected instructors on defending against Wild punches (below). Both indicate blocking/footwork etc. from boxing should be avoided but rather use kicks or get in. I thought a boxer would have a walk in the park against wild haymakers?! e.g. move out of channel whilst blocking attack from angle or block, get in and throw uppercuts/hooks/overhands etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecifxZ03ds
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujOLYG4xInA

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm not a fan of either of those videos, for a number of different reasons.

In the first, he's working from the wrong range. As a result he thinks about a kick, but if he was dealing with an opponent who was attacking with commitment, their bodyweight would be behind it and he'd be lucky to stop them anyway with those mechanics.

In the second, he initially works with covers, but for me they're too open. I've been caught many times with hands/arms in that position if the attacker is genuinely looping the punch in to the side of the head. A better position, IMO, as advocated by John Titchen here on MAP, is the hand to the back of the neck, covering the side of the head much better. After that he works haymakers from unrealistic range so the same comments as above apply.

As for footwork, I'd generally be wanting to move in, because I want the initiative. Taking several steps back is giving him the initiative and literally putting me on the back foot unless I'm very skilful. Iain Abernethy talks about the difference between the ebb and flow of sparring, and self defence where, "It's my turn, it's my turn, it's my turn."

So for me, crazy monkey, close, attack from inside the arc of the punches.

I think a decent boxer who modified their cover position would deal with the situation better than either of those guys.

Mitch

3. EdiSco

Thanks Mitch. Found another gem of a video below (by Chadderz's instructor) and the guy I had the pleasure of taking a couple of trial classes under. This makes much more sense to me. Rick Young is just pure awesome (not to mention he's mates with Erik Paulson!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU7BVCHctXg

4. Mitch

Far be it from me to disagree with Rick Young, so I won't :)

This is at the right range, not from artificially far away. Also, he makes the same point I mentioned above; "It's my turn it's my turn it's my turn."

One place I'd offer another opinion (and I'm exactly nobody, and he's Rick Young :D ) is where he talks about riding the initial hook. Experienced boxers or martial artists may be able to do that by turning the head and rolling, exactly as he shows. Personally I'd tell people to keep their hands up during the confrontation (fence), and be prepared for a modified flinch reaction that moves them to a tight cover (palm on the back of the neck).

From there proceed as your training suggests, but keep hitting them and don't fall over, as someone else on MAP once said :)

Mitch

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

"I'd rather get in the ring with a boxer than fight a guy throwing wild hayemaker".

Aye sound pal, I'll wave to you as you pass on by in the ambulance.

6. Mitch

Spot on :)

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive never heard of either instructors, and thought both videos were terrible.

who are they, and who says their "respected instructors"?

at a guess, the reason they don't teach boxing vs haymakers is that neither looks like they know how to box.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  8. EdiSco

They certainly have the reputation on the internet as self defense experts....that's why I was confused watching those videos.

Shane from fight tips is good value though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HST0fU82d2E

9. Mitch

I like the start of that. Same points above about hand to back of neck, close range, but he then turns.

What follows the right haymaker? It's not their head staying still whilst you grab it :), and he leaves himself open to that following left because he turns so much to try and make his elbow a strike.

Again, just my thoughts :)

Mitch

10. Dead_pool

They have marketing, not an actual real reputation.

Fight tips is usually terrible.

If you looking for striking in SD, tristar gym YT channel is full is good material.

Tristar has an actual real reputation.

11. EdiSco

Cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlP1we_1WA

12. EdiSco

13. Dead_pool

14. EdiSco

Thanks DP. Although, my no. 1 choice for a martial art would have to be Muay Thai .I don't care how effective BJJ is. or if grappling beats striking. boxing comes a close second. No other martial art has the same panache, versatility, practicality and ferocity!

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ecifxZ03ds

I have only watched the 1st clip. I like his approach. Instead of covering your head with your arms, you extend your arms and interrupt your opponent's punch near his face (not near your own face). I'll call that "zombie arms" strategy. You try to fight in your opponent's territory instead of your own territory.

The moment that your opponent punches you, the moment that you block his arm, wrap it, and obtain a clinch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  16. Dead_pool

The link I posted doesnt mention bjj.

MT is good. but training from YT isnt good, especially from "experts" who are nothing of the sort

17. EdiSco

I know, I was referring to the other video that I posted the link to in which he says BJJ is his preferred Martial Art but I loved the video as it made sense.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfu7YRjd86Y

And yes, that's why I posted the first two videos asking for opinions as the two videos didn't really make sense. I have a good boxing instructor. It's all I'm doing atm.

18. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Hahaha. Exactly. I would rather get in the ring with wild haymaker man than even a guy with 2 months boxing not to mention an actual pro boxer.

19. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Watching this guy work the bag at the beginning I could already tell I was going to agree with what he was about to say. Notice how you don't see those other two guys working a bag? Also the one guy had what looked like FMA training sticks in his bag, and in general people who do FMA do not have good hands. In my FMA class we teach some boxing, but if people want to learn how to throw real hands I tell them I can help them out to a point but they would be much better off going to a boxing gym and training (like I did).

20. BahadZubu

BahadZubu Valued Member

Then you are lucky and should stick with him and get good with your hands.