Raising the Dead

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by blessed_samurai, Jul 25, 2005.

1. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Now now, Prophet. I am sure that he assumes that a trainee will set realistic goals. If a trainee sets goals that are to unrealistic-well, that's their fault. ;)

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

But wait...who's Ed Coan? (He said, already knowing the answer, and hoping to enlighten the general public)

"Many experts assert that Coan's 2402 total at 220 [squat 962, bench press 545, deadlift 901] was the greatest single powerlifting performance of all-time. ... Ed's 2402 was 14.5% better than the rest of the world. This might be unprecedented in sport. Imagine a track athlete exceeding the world record in the 100-meter dash (9.64 seconds) by 14.5% and running it in an astounding 8.24. ...What if a high jumper broke the existing 8-foot world record with a 9+ effort. ... These are the kind of numbers mainstream athletes would have to post to dominate the way Coan has.

That was in 1991, and he wasn't done, not by a long shot. On December 20, 1998, at the USPF World Championship in Las Vegas, NV, Ed Coan lifted more combined weight in the three powerlifts than any other lifter in history - regardless of bodyweight. He squatted 1003, benched 573, and deadlifted 887, for an aggregate total of 2463. He weighed only 239. His total surpassed the all-time marks in the 242, 275, 308 and super heavyweight classes!" - by Marty Gallagher on Cbass.com

Coan's workout style is somewhat minimalist, in terms of volume. He generally tends to use a slightly higher volume in the early phase of a cycle, and reduces the volume while increasing load leading up to a competition. While the majority of us aren't competitive powerlifters, we could certainly learn a lot by taking a page from his book, and considering a mesocycle of this style.