Judo = Too dangerous to use in a street fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vinny Lugo, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Im back people!

Anyway I moved to Chicago and have been taking judo for a few weeks now. I take MA for reasons of self defense. I enjoy judo but Im thinking about quitting and going to boxing.Here's why...

The instructor at the judo dojo keeps telling us to be careful when doing the throws for self defense and this concerns me. I fear being attacked and then performing a judo throw in real life. If someone doesnt know ukemi (breaking falls) and I were to throw them on a hard tile or concrete floor I fear catching a charge for manslaughter. Thoughts?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Same risk of throwing an overhand and the person falling and cracking his head on the concrete.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Really though? It seems being socked and KO'd and falling to the concrete would have less impact than being thrown on your head with high velocity dont you think?

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Certainly over here , people dying after being punched and their head bouncing of the floor , or some other object near by , is something I've heard of a number of times.

5. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

But you wouldnt assume judo is more dangerous though? I mean in a striking art like say western boxing or wing chun the fight doesnt always end with a ko and the guy hits the ground full force. For instance you could punch them in the nose and break it and they just scream in agony. Also you could punch them in the gut and knock them out of air. What scares me is just about every move in judo ends with the opponent being thrown to the ground hard

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Still looking for guarantees?

You should try training *anything* for a while longer than a few weeks.
    Before that you don't have to be overly concerned to exceptionally harm anyone.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've got limited judo practice, but found that I felt pretty confident pretty quickly that I could use a few of the throws without slamming someone's skull into the ground.

8. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Thats good to know because I really enjoy it and really like the instructor.

9. FiercePhoenix

FiercePhoenix Banned Banned

In a real street combat situation where your in immediate danger of actual harm there is no time for thought where thought and action become one slam the opponents head into the floor or deftly twist them up which ever technique is effective within that small space of time in which a real street fight situation occurs in my case i usually eliminate the opponent in under 2 mins by either smashing their skull into the floor or deftly twisting and bending them up its not pretty but its effective i havnt had a REAL fight in years because I hate the sight of blood.

10. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah you definitely present a good argument. However I still probably wouldnt want to slam my opponents head into hard concrete. I would probably just try to throw them on their back hard to knock them out of air. But maybe thats just me?

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

2 mins?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHA

Shenanigans on that whole post

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Doesn't sound like a cause for concern to me. Aikido and karate-jutsu techniques can be equally dangerous. *shrugs* Just train for self-defense (if that's your thing), and you should be fine if you need to use it.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It is far, FAR easier to control someone to the ground relatively safely using a throw than it is hitting people. If it were otherwise we'd still be "braining" people with batons to make arrests. If you want the ability to control people, or to crush them but by choice instead of by accident, and in either case to make them feel like they're in the middle of the ocean without a life jacket and can't swim, learn to grapple.

14. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Yeah two minutes seemed a bit long to me as well. I was thinking more along the lines of 30 seconds or less.

15. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Thank you. This is the best advice I have had yet on this thread.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Once you have technique and timing down it's intention that makes the difference.

It matters not that it's a throw, a punch or a kick, it's the intent behind it.

Last week in class we did kicks to the thigh, with a lot of aggression and forward pressure from the pad holder.

What made the difference to the person throwing the kick was the intent behind it.

Get it wrong and you just make the aggressor worse.

Get it right and you put them down, or at least allow time to escape or follow up.

Train it, drill it until it's second nature, forget it, but revisit it to keep it sharp.

The method you use doesn't make much difference.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  17. FiercePhoenix

What i meant is that u fight with instinct and control.

It was over ten years ago i smashed someones head into the tarmac road surface and it was purely instinctual and the resulting damage to the opponents head was pretty damn bloody claret down his face he looked at me and ran away quickly.

Never saw him in my area again the locals in my home area were praising me for dealing with the idiot.

The whole fight started with the guy being racist to an old women in a shop she was pakistani and im indian i was only standing there asking him if he was ok and he went to attack me for no reason so i punished him badly.

a street fight is a serious thing and so is racism.

You dont know if the opponent is carrying a weapon or even what they are capable of or their fighting skill level.

You have to take into account adrenaline levels and anger associated with that.

depending on each persons individual levels of these death is a possibility with my method and is always a distinct possibility in a a street fight regardless of individual skill

i refer u to stories of a single punch killing an opponent in a street fight due to lack of knowledge by the winner of the fight of anything to do with deadly weak points on humans and how to avoid them

there are no rules in a street fight but control is essential i probably wouldnt smash someones head into the road these days it was over ten years ago and the guy was racist scum and a bully to an old women and fully deserved what he got he got and Im not even going to go into detail what i have done to other people who have been racist to me when i have been even younger than when this fight i am speaking of happened.

My point being that a street fight is not a martial arts competition where u have time to prepare your mind and you are aware that a combat situation is going occur that same day

a street fight can occur within a a split second there is no time to prepare and often reactions in this situation are instinctual as u are going from a calm state i.e. walking down the road and suddenly someones in your face for whatever reason i.e. a crackhead looking to get some money to feed his habit and decides he will approach u and attack u and take your money

the crackhead is not worrying about if when he hits you to take your money if hes going to hit a weak point and kill you he just wants a rock of crack for free and he dont care what happens to you in the process.

so going from a calm state to a situation where a fight has started suddenly results in body chemical levels to change in the brain i.e. adrenaline even perception of time changes within the mind your reactions can be affected due to this mental state entered into in a real street fight.

You might not have time to throw the person on their back because of the mental state entered into.

This state does get easier to control the more street fights you have due to the experience levels of these situations becoming increased over time and experience of this sudden mental state and how to control it but i stress no matter now many fights you have street fights or competition fights or whatever type of fight there is no way you know for certain whats going to happen

in the next one you could win 100 fights and then lose the next one due to the fact that every fight is different

due to the amount of variables involved you could win or lose at any time no matter if you win 100 or 1000 fights you may gain confidence and skill and the will to know within your own mind that you want to win or could easily win or you may think your the best fighter on the planet and you still could lose two fights are never the same thats the wonderful thing about combat

what makes it so interesting because you never see the same exact fight happen in real time twice unless someone records it and plays it back to you.

You need to use what works and what is effective and i would like to point out when i said i win fights in two minutes i meant two mins or under these days people that know me personally or have seen me fight know not to to bother messing with me and those that have never seen me fight or heard of me think twice or several times before trying to attack me as as most people are not stupid or a crackhead or a mental patient.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

However going to jail for manslaughter is not a good result either.

Fighting is always dangerous, but some throws are more dangerous then others.

major backwards (and forward) throws are very dangerous, however minor backwards throws are less dangerous, as are minor and major sideways throws.

Knoledge is power, ignorance is not.

19. FiercePhoenix

if the opponent pulls a gun or a chopper on me and i kill them in the process and i go prison i would be thanking my lucky stars i was still alive but i understand what your saying no one wants to go prison but same time no one wants to get shot or maimed or killed either.

20. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Are u a police officer in Canada? Which grappling art would you rate the best - judo, wrestling or bjj?