Men, Women, and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 47MartialMan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Category, group, coed, per gender, etc., it would seem that any subject could be looked upon from many perspectives. Separation of race seems to be no longer a barrier as so much separation of gender. Each gender has to be separated in terms of lavatory/restroom, undergarments, and hygiene. However, there are physical differences between men and women. Physical differences do obviously exist between men and women (well, duh!), and we're all very pleased about that, I'm sure. But these differences do play out in other ways... beyond the obvious genitalia.

Men are larger (10 to 11 cm more), heavier (of approximately 13 kilos), and have a muscular mass more than the women. Men are 10-15% larger than women, and 30% stronger, especially in the upper body. Men have larger hearts and lungs, and their higher levels of testosterone cause them to produce greater amounts of red blood cells. All of this translates into men being able to take in and distribute more oxygen to the cells of his body than a woman can (though this difference decreases between highly trained male and female athletes).

The above differences in intake and delivery of oxygen translate into some other aspects of performance—if a man jogs along at about 50% of his capacity, a woman will need to work at over 70% of her capacity to keep up! However, if the men and the women are equal out of glycogen, the subject of endurance is rather favorable to the women.

Women have fewer slow twitch muscle fibers (the muscle cells that work best for endurance activities). However, the fact that women have a higher percentage of body fat than men means they can supply fuel to our muscles longer than men. Research at Northwester University indicated that in an analysis of world-record times in events on land, in water, or on ice, the longer the event the better the women perform. In running, swimming and speed skating, the differences in times and distance turned in by men vs. women diminished the longer the event lasted.

Men have better distance vision and depth perception, and usually better vision in lighted environments. Women have better night vision, see better at the red end of the light spectrum, and have better visual memory. Women are more sensitive to sound than men, and when women begin to lose their hearing, they lose it more gradually across all wavelengths, while men are more likely to lose it from the high or low tones of the hearing range. Women are better able to recall a face from the voice alone than men, and are able to remember faces better. There are some evolutionary issues going on here, obviously.

Women may complain about a physical pain before men, but research indicates they are better able to cope with the emotional aspects of dealing with pain. For example, after a day of arthritic pain, female subjects reported less negative moods than male arthritic subjects. Women also do a better job of employing strategies to deal with pain, such as relaxation, meditation or distractions (preparing for childbirth, for example) than do men.

Now, what does this all mean in terms of Men and Women Martial Artists? Can it be said that men are better martial artists because of strength? Can it be said, that women can be better because of endurance and tolerance? Can a woman acquire ability and actually employ the techniques and methods of her art to a real-life physical confrontation? If martial arts enable a smaller male to overcome a larger one, can this apperception be applied for women? Under discussion, these questions emasculate, pun intended, the essence of the martial spirit in both men and women.

Women in martial arts frequently receive some disparagement and cynicism. Some of this comes from other women, who think it is appalling for a woman to study a fighting method. Some of this comes from the casual observer. And a large part of it comes from chauvinistic males. Thinking that a woman may have a natural limitation, perhaps due to the lack of strength and size, could neglect any chances of one being able to overcome the odds, or the opponent. This can challenge countless concepts within many martial art systems/styles. It would also seem that training teaches the martial artist to rely not only on strength and speed, but also upon accuracy, flexibility, discipline, perseverance, and intelligence. In other words, some martial arts teach the power of yielding, of sinking roots, and of strategy. Somewhat the later following the cliché'-"Brains over brawn".

The martial way, would seem to have one study and apply a cornucopia of resources. Such as quick and low, hard and soft, aggressiveness and yielding. The martial artist gives life to a part of themselves that otherwise remain dormant and useless. The martial way is for the martial artist to defeat their weakness from within so that they may not be defeated from weakness in the outer. Men and women both know that greater strength and size give an undeniable advantage, and that it is important to develop the potential of muscular power. However, to believe that this constituent, along with endless hours of hardcore conditioning, seems to be a calumniation of the martial way. But, we have to be mindful here for that brute strength, couple with some experience, can overwhelm the weaker with semi-adequate experience.

Women have a strong intuition, easily retain proper balance, and can generate immense power from the hips. Speaking of intuition, a woman is quick to sense weakness in her opponent. She can develop a tremendous sensitivity, such that her opponent is helpless against her knowledge of where and when to strike. She can also take advantage of his overconfidence and has a better position for the element of surprise.

Women in training must explore their own inner worth and follow a path of their own, without being distracted by the path of their male peers. Women should not forsake those arts that can benefit a smaller person verses a larger without an attitude that she has something to prove. As with a mindset, if a man can do it, so can they. In other words, women should not strive to learn any particular martial art because a man does it. Just like separate lavatory/restroom, undergarments, and a woman has to undergo a more specialized training regiment. A woman should not train to become like a man, she should train to become the woman she is. She should train with a higher expectation with a higher degree of intensity

2. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

So I guess the lesson for men is "Don't be complacent".

I don't believe anyone here would argue that women shouldn't practice martial arts, or that they can't do them well, but the differences pointed out in your post indicate that different training will benefit women.

3. The warrior

The warrior Valued Member

I do believe it depends on the martial art. Some rely more on strength which would seem to benitfit men. well others rely on speed and endurance which would rely on women.

Reguardless though I treat both men and women as equals in the dojo out of respect for my school, sensi, and those I train with.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I used to line up the class in two rows facing each other, spar for two minutes, then line up again and one line moves one person to the right. Spar, move, spar, move....gets you to spar against a variety of sizes and shapes, gender and abilities every night.

5. 47MartialMan

I agree that anyone should spar against others varying of sizes

6. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Women have a strong intuition, easily retain proper balance, and can generate immense power from the hips. Speaking of intuition, a woman is quick to sense weakness in her opponent. She can develop a tremendous sensitivity, such that her opponent is helpless against her knowledge of where and when to strike. She can also take advantage of his overconfidence and has a better position for the element of surprise.

You had me right up until this paragraph, which quite frankly compared to the rest of your article is garbage. None of this is quantifiable or testable in any manner and is really just downright silly. Props for the rest though :)

www.themensdomain.com.au

7. 47MartialMan

Well, women deserve some recognition, don't you think?

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Recognition, yes. Flannel, no.

9. 47MartialMan

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

False flattery. Smarmy compliments designed to make them feel better.

11. 47MartialMan

So, you don't like to give them compliments?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Compliments and flannel are not the same thing.
    Compliments are fine. So long as they are genuine and accurate.
    If they aren't genuine and/or accurate they are flannel.
    You've written flannel there.

13. 47MartialMan

What wasn't accurate?

Besides, if a woman ask you how they look, and you think they look bad, would you say they look alright or would you tell them what you think?

14. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Very good 47.
    We are animals and will defend our young to the death, we were given imprinted DNA that enables us to do so. Women do have better flex of the hips...that's a fact not " flannel".

Besides, if a woman ask you how they look, and you think they look bad, would you say they look alright or would you tell them what you think?
    A very smart man would know how to answer that properly :)

15. 47MartialMan

Exactly

Although I know the males are stronger, females have natural abilities. They have to in order to provide not only nourishment, but protection of their young as well.

Nothing flannel about this

This one paragraph could explain a male's perspective;

Women in martial arts frequently receive some disparagement and cynicism. Some of this comes from other women, who think it is appalling for a woman to study a fighting method. Some of this comes from the casual observer. And a large part of it comes from chauvinistic males. Thinking that a woman may have a natural limitation, perhaps due to the lack of strength and size, could neglect any chances of one being able to overcome the odds, or the opponent. This can challenge countless concepts within many martial art systems/styles. It would also seem that training teaches the martial artist to rely not only on strength and speed, but also upon accuracy, flexibility, discipline, perseverance, and intelligence. In other words, some martial arts teach the power of yielding, of sinking roots, and of strategy. Somewhat the later following the cliché'-"Brains over brawn".

16. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

If my missus asks me how she looks in something i answer her honestly every time, good or bad. Ultimately she appreciates my no-nonsense aproach because i don't lie to try and make her feel better. If it looks good on her i will say, but if it makes her look like a cheap bit of totty i tell her also. I would rather not have my loved one walking around looking like crap just so she can feel a false sense of happiness only for it to be destroyed by someone with no problem slagging off others.

And it was flannel.

17. benkei

benkei Valued Member

It was pure pandering. Jesus, read it again, it sounds like the bio of a Dragonball Z character or something. You want to make women feel good? Go join a feminist organisation and tell them everything they want to hear.

Edit: Sorry about the way I made my point, while I stand by what I say the way I said it was too harsh.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  18. ishkabibble

ishkabibble New Member

Women have a strong intuition...Speaking of intuition, a woman is quick to sense weakness in her opponent. She can develop a tremendous sensitivity, such that her opponent is helpless against her knowledge of where and when to strike.

Yes. By drawing on our Natural Connection with Mother Earth and the Changing Moon, women have developed Super Sparring Intuition.

As benkei has said, this is unquantifiable poppycock. It's also flannel, as PASmith said.

Having a spontaneous discussion about the Differences Between Men and Women seems strange to me. Gender has rarely been an issue for me in MA. At my school, men and women spar each other. We also have a single stall unisex bathroom. I'm not aware of anybody exuding "disparagement and cynicism" towards female students or instructors, and I don't know any women with gender-based chips on their shoulders. We practice MA because we like MA, not because we are/aren't trying to prove something. If I were to describe my abilities I would say, "I have excellent balance and flexibility, but low muscle mass." I wouldn't say, "I am a woman, therefore I have excellent balance and flexibility...." To put it a bit more crudely, during training, I think about my muscular and cardiovascular systems. I have never once thought, "I wonder if my ovaries can handle this technique."

19. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

This is pretty much exactly how I felt. This paragraph was a bunch of arbitrary, unquantifiable nonsense. The rest of it made a lot of sense, but this paragraph should have just been left out.

20. 47MartialMan

Thanks for the feedback