So I was attacked...

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by TheLastDancer, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Not sure I agree, surely the art is a combination of a curriculum and training methods?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

id agree to that, the point still stands however.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Perhaps weapons and/or armour may be a consideration in some of those pins?

Anyway, on the subject of what makes a martial art, I thought I might as well post this I saw yesterday: Stephan Kesting's interpretation of Dan Inosanto's trinity of martial arts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WStMlyRn_sE&t=729s

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

yeah it's probably a lot harder to draw weapons when you're lying on your front.

5. Dunc

Yes this plays a big part in TJMA pins

Predominantly pins were used to hold someone down in a way that:
    1 Prevents them from using their weapons on you (remember that historically they carried a few). Typically this means face down, and
    2 Gives you enough time to either draw your own weapon or to cause sufficient injury to stay safe. Typically TJMA forms end with drawing a weapon, a kick/strike or crank after a pin

Another important consideration was to retain freedom of movement, which creates a trade off in terms of how firmly you can secure someone down

So the objective is not really to hold someone in place until help arrives

Of course chokes are used liberally in TJMA too, but I'm separating these from pins for the sake of this discussion

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. Dunc

Nice - thanks

7. C Sal

C Sal New Member

I totally agree. In all positions in training. We must think of the possible Atemi we can deliver.

8. Dunc

I think that in order to understand atemi you have to study it deeply
    The strikes included in the old Japanese martial arts are very effective and, in my view, absolutely critical parts of the technique. But like everything they need careful study
    I'm not suggesting that this is always the case in Aikido training, but just pretending to hit a bit here and there while you execute a compliant waza isn't going to help much

bassai and David Harrison like this.
  9. C Sal

C Sal New Member

I agree mate. I think actually do the atemi but stop before one gets hit. If you can make them jump or react even better. I guess what I'm trying to say do the atemi.
    :)

10. Dunc

I think that in order to understand atemi you need to thump people and get thumped

David Harrison likes this.
  11. C Sal

C Sal New Member

Man I got a lot of that in boxing. Lol.

Dunc likes this.
  12. Dunc

I think boxing will have given you a good understanding of power generation, rolling with the punches etc
    But…. It’s a very different context from atemi in grappling