A LOT two words!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by MiyamotoMusashi, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MiyamotoMusashi

MiyamotoMusashi Valued Member

Hi all,

Sorry for the rant but this is just driving me crazy.

For all of you who don't know "alot" is actually TWO WORDS: A LOT

I know it is silly and that this place is informal but COME ON! It's only one little space. It makes a world of difference though!

Again....I am sorry for the rant. Maybe I shouldn't drink on weeknights?

MM

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Also, it's "you're", not "your".

Sure you can justify it and say "its just teh intraweb!!11", but in my eyes, you're still a moron. =/

PL

3. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

hahaha :D
    Good point :D

4. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

It's specific and not pacific (this is more to do with spoken).

5. mattsylvester

It's its and not it's! Or the other way.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

.... y'know there are ALOT more rants here ... you could have just added to the LOT :)

alright? Or is that "all right"? :D

7. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

actually

YOUR is a word denoting ownership

YOU'RE is YOU ARE

8. Tika

Tika New Member

So if we're whining about the use of the english language here, I'll join in (although I often butcher the written language, I dont often butcher it when speaking).

It's regardless, NOT irregardless. I don't even think irregardless is a word.

9. Martial Mark

Martial Mark Valued Member

Shouldn't weeknights be spelled week nights?

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Regardless of what you have heard, “irregardless” is a redundancy. The suffix “-less” on the end of the word already makes the word negative. It doesn’t need the negative prefix “ir-” added to make it even more negative.

Common Errors in English

11. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

If we are (we're) messing with English, I must post this link to a Yoda thread.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18121

Also, how many times are a group almost wiped out and the headlines say that they have been "decimated". The way I heard the story of this word, it was when the Roman centurions killed 1 in 10 of their 100 men to teach them a lesson. That leaves 90 still alive.... :confused:

12. Tika

Tika New Member

Thanks for helping me drive that one home kickchick :D

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sp34k1ng in txt or not ev3n tryin to spel fings rite is one thing, and actually against our rules, but personally I think picking up on small errors in grammar on a global discussion forum, where English is not everyone's first language, is immature, elitist and downright unnecassarrry :D

14. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

I think both are valid interpretations
    http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/decimate
    But I didnt know about the Roman thing at all... cheers! :D

15. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

ya me eithr, wut r u talk bout yodar? [​IMG]

16. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Sounds like the classic case of "use it incorrectly for long enough, and it will become accepted as correct" :p

17. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Okay Yoda, you got it. Text speakers should be pounded, I hate it. If you can't speak english, then get off the forum. I have to admit your and you're are two words that I trip on quite often. :eek: But I'm working on it.

18. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Text speaking actually annoys me even on phones. Whenever I SMS someone I will type just like I do online. I think it's annoying to see 'u' 'y' 'l8' etc. Instant messaging I am a little more free on punctuation and capitalization, but I still don't do too many shortcuts.

btw (erm, that being one of em) I'm still LOL'ing (that another) at 'yodar.' hehehehehhee [​IMG]

19. mattsylvester

BTW, LOL etc were stolen from Internet users and for some reason people now think that SMS/Texting etc brought them about, including emoticons! :(

That really annoys me too!

So does, mixing up to and too.

Where and were

Their and there

FAQ's, should be FAQs etc.

20. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

Well, yeah, I been online long enough to no that texter's stole all our slang, but sense my online social activity has involved from when I was younger, I am no longer synonymous with that kind of seen, and refer to it now as text [​IMG]