WMA choke hold counters

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Dave_Britten, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Dave_Britten

Dave_Britten New Member

Hi All,
    I was wondering does anyone have information on WMA counters to choke holds. Mainly the rear attack, forearm choke.

thanks in advance,
    Dave.

P.S. I know the Aikido counters but they rely internal ma training.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

"P.S. I know the Aikido counters but they rely internal ma training"

uh.... what? if there is a specific technique that will actually work against a choke you dont have to be a zen master to do it. can you give us a description of it?

as for the rear naked choke, CONTROL HIS OTHER ARM. once he has his arms locked its goodnight gracie. jam your chin down as well so he cannot get the choke sunk in. if its a standing choke there are several judo techniques (an osoto gari would be perfect, or seio nage) but I dont know any western MA moves. if they have you on the ground, squirm like a *******, control the arm that isnt trying to choke you, and jam your chin down. unfortunately this is a very bad position to be in, and if the choke doesnt work they will probably just start slamming your head into the ground.

3. Dave_Britten

Dave_Britten New Member

Hi Ikken,
    Don't think I mentioned Zen Masters anywhere. The boxing style I am working on is a hard style, I was looking for something to hold to this so it is easier for the students to get their heads around.
    And since I am using a WMA fencing, knife and boxing style. I was looking for sources in this area but thanks for the contribution anyway.

Dave.

P.S. If you need a description of the aikido techniques. The guys in the Aikido section, I'm sure, will be more than happy to help and some may actually be Zen masters.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2004
  4. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Dave....

As in many non-sport Eastern styles, reach back-between his legs, strike/grab the testicals and rip!!! :eek: Although the rear choke isn't illustrated in Auerswald's 1537 wrestling treatise he illustrates this in a number of grappling situations.

Louie

5. Dave_Britten

Dave_Britten New Member

Hi Louie,
    Simple and effective, I like it.
    I think the young lady in question will especially like that one.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

6. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

I dunno what happened to my other post I just put up here, lemme see if I can resummarize it...

I was in a rear choke like this last week in class. It was on the ground (me on my knees, the other guy lying on my back, legs wrapped around). I was fortunate enough to get my chin down in time and grab his other arm and pull it down a bit. From there, I kicked my leg out and dropped my shoulder, tossing him over and landing us in a north/south position. I dunno how well that fits in WMA, but it works well in jujitsu :)

Edit: Oh! I found my other post :p It was on another forum... now I KNOW its time for bed...

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

If it's on the ground, then look into Crown Crushes from Catch Wrestling.
    One source where you can see their demonstration is in Mark Hatmakers 'Beyond Brazilian Ju Jitsu' VT/DVD (Paladin Press).

A review is in here:
    http://www.martialartsadvice.com/cat.php?cat=1

The tape also has alot of very useful information on how to deal with any Ju Jitsu etc choke on the ground or standing. good stuff.