Sleep well Princess

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Mushroom, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Carrie Fisher has passed away from her heart attack aged 60.

RiP

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

There have been a lot of sad losses this year, but I'd be lying if I said that this one hadn't affected me the most.

RIP indeed Carrie x

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ah man. No more please.
    R.I.P.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Gutted to hear Richard Adams passed away today too. I'd like to watch Watership Down tonight, but I know I'll be in tears if I do.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Damn , I kind of expected after the report on the cardiac arrest , but still .

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, just now checked email and saw this on the Yahoo page. Shocker. Was not expecting that at all. Wow.

RIP

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

One of my very first crushes. :[

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Oh no, so sad to hear that.
    60 isn't an age anymore nowadays, so I kind of hoped, that she would come around again.

R.I.P.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I went and saw Rogue One yesterday with my sister and niece. We all agreed that the lack of news after the initial attack was not a good sign. I mean "stable and in ICU" is all we heard after hearing she had CPR and was unconscious for a long time on the plane.

Still, I was hoping to be wrong.

I really liked her open and honest attitude whenever I saw her in interviews. Didn't hold back. Good wit. Great advocate for mental health issues in a time where the stigma was even worse than it is now.

LOVED what they did with Leia in "The Force Awakens." One of my favorite parts of that film.

Also loved her in "Blues Brothers" and "When Harry met Sally."

Darn you 2016!!!!!

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I watched her One Woman Show on HBO about a year ago. I was truck then & always by her wit & wisdom.

Rest in peace, Princess. May the Force be with you.....

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

That's one of things I admired with her as well.

being open about mental health is difficult still, so everytime a celebrity is open about it, it sets an important sign.
    Sure, if non-celebs do that it awesome as well, but we live in a time, in which celebs opinions and experiences actually can make others think.

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Very sad news to end a horrible year. :(

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Such sad news for someone who was undeniably a force for good.

RIP Princess.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I'm not usually the kind of person who would write so much about a celebrity, but as it's quite obvious that everyone here were influenced by her in one way or another. Whether her portrayal of Princess Leia made you attracted to her, or you saw her as a strong female role model. A Princess who is not necessarily a damsel in distress but as a rebel.

What most don't actually know, is that behind the scenes. She wasn't just an actress and performer. But actually Hollywood-land's one of their go to Script Doctors.

Film scripts are written by their main credited writers, but during the Production, a lot of things change, such as budget, location or casting of people. A script would be altered to fit that change in the film's dynamic. And that's what she would do as a job. Since Doctoring and Ghost writing are mostly uncredited, you may never know the full extent of her touch in all the films that those who grew up between 70-2000.
    You could be watching any film, any genre and she might be there.

A bit cheesy to go back to Star Wars which made Carrie Fisher a brand name, but she essentially embodied the Force in our entertainment, our childhood, her creative mind being all around us, binding us together.

She is reunited with R2, who left us earlier this year.

RiP Carrie and Kenny.

Our journey to Episode VIII will be all that more meaningful. :cry:

15. Travess

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  16. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

@Travess: The link doesn't seem to be working?

17. Travess

Cheers Latokis - Not sure what happened there, as it was working fine on both my phone and my tablet, but did not work when I just tried it on laptop...

...Either way, I have edited my original post and updated it with a new link (for the same video) so hopefully all will be well now.

Travess

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I think this is why I'm sad at her loss. I was always a bit of a geek as a child and never a 'girly' girl, so discovering Star Wars when I was around 7 or 8 ish and finding a female character who was strong and not squealy damsel in distress meant a lot to me. I will always remember Carrie Fisher for her portrayal of Leia, as it is probably one of a number of factors that made me comfortable being me and not uncomfortable because I was never going to fit in with the 'girly' types. Not that there is anything wrong with being girly, but more that, at that time, in the 70s, strong female, non-girly characters were not the norm.

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

And now there are reports that her mother, Debbie Reynolds, is in the hospital. First reports, which could be wrong, are that she has had a stroke.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thanks a lot!

Great video, indeed.
    Makes me the more sad.