One Punch Deaths

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, Feb 26, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

My experience has been very similar, except I'm still waiting for the groin shot that puts me down (I have put someone out of action temporarily myself in training though, countering a roundhouse with a shin straight between the legs).

I've said it many times on MAP, but I think groin shots are best served cold - that is, before the adrenaline is pumping and fight-or-flight is on.

Knee Rider likes this.
  2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

sad incident of one punch death in a suburban pub near me last year. youth spat an another youths girlfriend, boyfriend punched youth, youth hit head on floor, youth died. boyfriend convicted of manslaughter.

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Worth noting a good leg kick can still knock an opponent to the ground risking a head injury.

Bottom line, a fight is a fight, we must do all one can to avoid, control, and escape a fight. But if compelled to use force in self defense, There is no time to second guess consequences. One can only do what seems appropriate at the time.

Old bloke likes this.
  4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah that happened to the guy my little brother kicked. I think the difference is you aren't "out" on the way down. Your body will defend your head if you fall.

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. David Harrison

Yeah, that is the big difference.

Reflexes are really fast, unless you're absolutely blind drunk, and you can see even if someone doesn't get their hands up to break their fall they will twist their body so that their head isn't the first thing to contact the ground. Falling to the ground when unconscious is a hundred times more dangerous.

6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I once fell on the ground unconscious.
    Right in a hospital.

I landed with the back of my head first, I think.
    Loud "thump" when I hit the floor, biiiig bump on my head - and a night at the hospital after all, because it had followed a little opeartion.

I was told, due to the lose muscles, the body gets some protection as well, but I don't know if that's entirely true.

7. David Harrison

No, not in the "going limp helps you survive injuries" sense, but it is a common myth.

'There is a folk belief that drunken injuries, especially those incurred during car crashes, are likely to be less severe, due perhaps to increased relaxation or limpness at the time of an accident. But Friedman says his research has convinced him that this belief is "probably grossly overestimated and false."

His findings don't show that a drunk driver's injuries during a car crash are likely to be less serious than those suffered by potential sober victims, just that if all parties suffer the same injuries, the sober ones are more likely to die.

"You don't die from the injury itself, you die from the subsequent physiological response, things like inflammation and rapid fluid loss," Friedman told Life's Little Mysteries. "If you get shot by a gun, it's not the hole that kills you."'

- http://www.livescience.com/24979-alcohol-injury-outcome.html

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One thing that "one punch deaths" make me realise is how you have to get your ego in check and have a really good honest look at when, where and why you'll actually get physical and have a "fight".
    What you'll fight for and what you'll let slide. Think about situations and what you'll do, how far you'll let someone go before smacking them.
    If you have to smack someone you have to be sure in yourself you REALLY had to do it. So if they get badly hurt you're at least at peace with yourself you acted "well" even if the law may say otherwise.

Knee Rider likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

10. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

Damn that's intense. One punch can kill someone and ruin your life at the same time

11. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

As a martial artist, we should have better control over our ego/emotions during those scenarios (hard sparring is one way to keep your head on).

If it does get to a point where you don't have much choice, i believe we still have a level of control over the power used- i expect that a full Tyson power punch has high chance to kill an average person.

It's sad to read the frequency of these occurring. I've had situations where I was threatened whilst with my kids, I'll have to admit I was raging inside, every part of me wanted to unleash, but I'm glad I didn't.

It would be interesting to see the ratio in statistics of hits to deaths, but those statistics would be hard to collect.

Geoff Thompson often writes about the frequent use of that attack on people, he's probably fortunate not to have hit the "wrong" person.

12. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

That's why I'd prefer a kick rather than punch if the threat isn't that great (low kick to the leg).

13. EdiSco

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

I took a picture of one of the posters and I meant to post it on MAP. Seen it on the night of McGregor x Mayweather.

Dead_pool and EdiSco like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

They seem to have focused heavily on the relation to drinking being a factor, which is a good item to highlight.

People like a drink, but be sensible about it and your location; probably as big a factor as the altercation itself in that it is the lead to the incident which can be prevented.

16. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Interestingly this person did follow all the regularly suggested procedures e.g. said that he feared for his person etc but the court said that witnesses perceived the defendant as the aggressor much more than the person who started the scuffle. Something to remember that the courts do not have to agree with your perception of the events at hand.

PowChoy

Man jailed for inflicting life changing injuries on stranger he punched in the street

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In that instance it seems he initiated the physical conflict

You cannot really confront a person aggressively and at the same time claim you were in fear

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. EdiSco

Skimmed through the article - I assume he was an untrained person? Imagine the damage a proficient boxer's uppercut/hook would do...would you guys say the safest punch would be a body shot to the kidney/liver?

19. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I cannot help but wonder if some of those who claim that their actions were in self defense, actually do not understand the full meaning of the term, and fully believe that they are in the right?

Especially not when there is CCTV, clearly showing otherwise!

www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news/general/man-found-guilty-and-sent-prison-manslaughter-burnham/

Travess

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  20. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award