Pain in adductor muscles when doing side leg raises?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Warriorspirit91, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Hi guys

I have been doing side leg raises and have been training in flexibility for quite some time now but every time I try to do a side leg raise or go lower into the splits I feel a horrible pinching pain in my adductor muscle.

Is this normal when trying to increase flexibility or is there something wrong with my muscles because it's really painful when I try to do a high roundhouse kick, I also have problems turning my hip over with the kick (Muay Thai style)

Will this improve as I get more flexible or is this a sign that I should slow down?

Many Thanks.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Go see a physical therapist, pain is not normal. May not be serious (and if it doesn't interfere with daily life, it likely isn't), but better safe than sorry.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes, if there is nothing pathologically wrong with the affected muscle, and you are performing dynamic movements in a range that exceeds your passive flexibility. Put differently: You are doing ballistic stretches and they hurt because they are not safe or effective.

Only a medical doctor can tell you that.

Generally, doing side leg raises gets easier as you become more flexible in front and side splits. (Your passive range of motion directly determines your safe, dynamic range. Any active movement done past the limit of your passive range is a ballistic movement.)

Pain is a sign you should stop trying to do side leg raises so high, at least until: 1) You have seen a physician to diagnose the cause of said pain, and 2) your passive range of motion improves.

4. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

I appreciate the replies guys, I have noticed after a better warm up or after training when i try leg raises the pain isn't there, guess I just need to warm up better!