Approaching drunk people?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by LemonSloth, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah that's a good idea nascarage. My girlfriend carries food vouchers and shelter information (she works with the homeless)

Personally I wouldn't have engaged a drunk guy in the dark

2. cx4

cx4 Valued Member

Never waste your time with a drunk. They're useless, disgusting and, like cockroaches, nothing seems to kill them. Except falling head first into a six foot deep construction trench. That works pretty well...

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Well thanks for that enlightening post on a long dead thread....it really added to the discussion

For an encore try ressurecting a 10 year oldmthread and adding "I agree", because that will really stimulate discussion too

4. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

cx4, as a mod here at MAP I'm going to have to ask you to dial back your tone in this thread. It is one thing to register your distaste and quite another to unnecessary violent imagery--and you're not new here, you've been around for quite some time. Do keep this in mind with your future posts here.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Seeing as it's been resurrected anyway I'll share a similar experience I had around Christmas.
    As I'm the first aider at work I was called out as there was a man lying in the teh hedge outside.
    As I walked up to him 2 things quickly became apparent he was very very drunk (at about 10.30 in the morning !) and he spoke very little english.
    I tried to ask him if he needed any help but he pretty aggressively motioned that I should go away , seeing as he could barely stand up and didn't seem about to pass out I walked away.
    However , a couple of minutes later my manager walked passed saying someone should help him , so I followed him back out.
    What now greeted us was that this guy had managed to find his feet was trying to cross the , fairly busy , road outside , so now 2 of us were trying to contain him and get him to sit down.
    The situation had now escalated slightly in my mind as I didn't want to leave my manager alone with him as he was still fairly verbally aggressive (though we didn't have a clue what he was saying) and was going to end up under a car , at this another tech and one of the valeters wondered up to see what was going on , so now there's 4 of us , luckily the valeter was also eastern european so we nominated he try to talk to the guy while we called 999 for some assistance.
    What then happened then is that we were batted between the ambulance service and the Police each telling us to contact the other , in the end it was agreed that an ambulance should attend as he was so drunk .
    While we were waiting we carried on trying to contain him ,my manager had the pretty good idea to ask if he had a phone to call someone he knew to let them know his situation , he snatched the phone back and smashed off the pavement , luckily , after about 5 more minutes a police car was passing so we flagged them down and explained the situation , they gave the kind of "thankyou" smile I'd expect from someone who'd just been handed a problem they can't ignore and we all went back to work.
    I'm not sure of the exact chain of events , but , the last we saw of him he was being led into the back of an ambulance in handcuffs.
    tl;dr drunk people can be difficult to handle , but , there comes a point where you have to step in.

6. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

My two cents:

I used to live a few blocks away from the main nightlife section of the city. Me, and my family, came across hammered people quite often. As a general rule, I didn't find truly drunk people that dangerous, I can always leave at any time and their movements are so slow and telegraphed they can be avoided. I found though that physically containing them is difficult and dangerous and you always run the risk of seriously hurting them and getting into legal issues so I always tried to avoid that. The only time I did do it was when I saw a drunk guy lie down and use the road as a cushion (he literally though it was), he would have been run over for sure. People on certain other drugs on the other hand... I left them well alone.

Also, to build on other things people have said, there are few people that can manipulate as well as addicts. Many of them have it down to an art-form.

7. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Police Academy we were taught to approach every possible suspect from a 45 degree angle. EMS I still do the same. I've found that it eliminates 8/10 straight attacks and gives you a split second advantage as opposed to being directly face to face with them (laterally).

Signs of intoxication include- slurred speech, hand/eye & eye/leg coordination, smell, dialation of eyes, facial comprehension, etc....

My advice for future references is don't approach a drunk for any reason (unless it's life or death situations) and just call 911.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Two of the key lessons I learned from my limited door supervisor experience are: 1) intoxicated people (aggressive or not) can be a real danger to themselves and others, and 2) if they're a potential hazard in the street (or other public place), they are absolutely the police's problem.

I learned it's best to keep a safe distance while on the phone to the police and redirect dangers (e.g. oncoming traffic) than engage with a possibly volatile drunk.

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

As a doorman who's been there and done that, I'm not about to second guess anyone's decisions out on the floor. When you're on the job you've entered a gladitorial arena and only the strong will survive, while the weak will perish.

I will, however, share my own tactics in the business. I find what works best with drunks is introducing them to my fists. If you remember the tagline from the old Superman movie, you will believe a man can fly. Well, guess what, I do that almost every night, making some loud mouth drunk airborne with a well placed uppercut.

10. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

It was good that you stopped to see that someone was okay, but as soon as he started the fighting talk you should have walked away, you definately shouldn't have stood there with 15 minutes of wondering if he was going to attack you or not. I worked on the doors for 3 years and now I am a prison officer and of all the people who are in for violent crimes about 60% (or higher) were under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs at the time of their offence. Unfortunately the sad reality is that acts of kindness with some people get thrown back in your face and you could have ended up in a fight with the guy or worse.. fair enough if someone is lying on the pavement semi conscious due to drink then stop and help but someone that's steaming drunk tripping over himself and walking into lampposts - just leave him to it - that is probably his regular saturday night and he'll be in the same state next week and the week after. It's a sad state of affairs and some people need help but sometimes theres just nothing you can do about it!

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Maybe that worked up to about the mid-1990s. But these days you'd lose your licence faster than you received it if you genuinely took that approach.

12. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

I guess that depends where you live. Seems to work fine for doormen over here most of the time.

13. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

So some of the door staff on here think the answer is to punch masked profanity out of someone just coz their drunk? Get a grip. If you need to defend yourself and if a fights breaks out then yes that is the answer. But attack someone just coz they've had a bit too much to drink and their talkin masked profanity? Really?! Must be like the bar in Dusk til Dawn that you work.

YinYang, please review MAP's policy on masked profanity. Failure to adhere to it may result in a ban.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
  14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

Hardly, bro, my uncle owns the bar, so I straight up have a license to kick masked profanity and take names.

Same goes for you Mad Dog

15. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

Hard as nails you are mate

16. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

If that's me you're addressing bro, then yes my bar is a bit like that. Drunks, bikers, cutthroats, bangers, all together all drunk, mean, and ready to cause mayhem. I'm the light of order that pushes back the all encompassing darkness of chaos. And I accomplish that by punching out one d-bag at a time.:cool:

17. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

You got a beef there "mate" or are you just trolling?

18. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

I'm not trolling and I've not got any beef I was just tellin you my opinion.. It's just the way your talkin like it's all violence and nothing else matters. You never try and talk to people to try and de-escalate masked profanity? How many staff work on the door with you?

19. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

I suppose you'll have to forgive my assertive style of talking, it's one of the downsides to being a true alpha male. As for trying to de-escalate situations, I tried that a while go but it would usually turn into a fight anyway, so I decided to do away with the middleman and just get right to the punching. As for other door staff, usually it's just me and one or two other guys a night. But they all look up to me as the shotcaller.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No you most certainly do not