What game are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kuma, Mar 23, 2013.

1. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Just started witcher 3. Seems pretty cool so far.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My summary of Witcher: If you have even a passing interest in the RPG genre, buy it.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

Still playing Skyrim regularly on the 360. Going for all skills maxed out this time while only using bow and dagger. I recently bought myself a new 360 as the old one was wheezing a bit and I pick up a tenner's worth of pre-owned games every time I pass Game so my gaming life is pretty sweet at the moment. By the time I run out of games to play the Xbox One should be about to become obsolete.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Huh, that sounds like it might be worth having a tinker on if I ever come across it. As long as I don't have to pay full price for it :p

You sir, you have taste :D.

I love the variety with his songs. I don't like everything he does (some of his earlier songs like Zombie Holiday aren't great) but holy crap, for one guy with a keyboard, a guitar and a computer he produces some amazing tunes.

I have high hopes for Dontnod actually. Given they've literally only done a couple of games and one is pretty playable (Remember Me) and one is excellent thus far (Life is Strange). Their ability to tell a story is incredibly impressive.

From what I remember of the first one the gameplay is relatively challenging, very fluid, a lot of options for some funky shenanigans but the story wasn't fantastic.

Hahahaha! :D

Asylum is, in my opinion, the best one of the three that have been done (not sure if Arkham Knight is out yet or not). Asylum was fun, it was relatively refreshing as far as games go, it was kind of challenging with wonderful fluid combat and I was happy with the fact I played it. Arkham City and Arkham Origins are basically the exact same game with one a couple of tweaks to the setting and story. I would actually go as far as to suggest avoiding them unless you're bored.

Nah, you're smart. Now you don't have to sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the next damn episode to come out so you can see what happens next!

So far so very good though. The episodes have gotten better and better to date.

5. LemonSloth

You reminded me of this :p:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsqiSknjHK8"]Song of Skyrim - YouTube[/ame]

Skyrim is a good game but I find that unlike Oblivion and Morrowind, I can't go back to playing Skyrim over and over like I can those. Especially not without the Dragonborn DLC, which is a lot of fun. I think the progression tree/levelling up part of the game actually ruins it for me more than almost anything else.

I'm 50/50 on the Vampire DLC though. It feels like they had a great opportunity to expand on Skyrim and almost threw it away.

==========

Still chugging through Dark Souls. On the one hand, I hate that game with a passion because of how awful it is to play and how bloody frustrating it can be.

On the other hand, no other game has made me frequently feel the sheer ecstasy of relief/joy in such major levels as defeating an invading player in your world or beating a tough boss without summoning any help. Plus I love just how hard it is. Arguably some of the most tactical combats out of most games I've played and so many options to level up as well as so many places to explore. It's wonderful.

Just started a third character, a pyromancer. Genuinely toying with the absurd and ridiculous idea of seeing how much of the game I can storm through as a Lvl 1 character :p. My naked barbarian is clubbing the snot out of everything and my sorcerer is providing an interesting change of pace with some ranged combat.

6. Southpaw535

Do you feel like Dark Souls forces certain builds for characters? Its a game I've been interested in playing for a while but my only exposure to it is through youtube where everyone screams at the player if they do anything sub-optimally. I get all games will have metas and builds that are arguably superior, but I don't like games that basically force you to level up and create characters a certain way to be competitive. I like playing games, not spreadsheets :p

7. LemonSloth

Not in my experience. I mean yeah, there are a lot of folks who have become rather fixated on certain variations of builds for characters who don't like anything else. And certain character types require certain stat increases. For example, if you want to be a brawler with a big ass weapon, you are probably going to need a high strength level.

But the beauty of the game is that your starting character is nothing more than a loose template, rather than a fixed entity. You can literally transform it into anything you want as the game progresses.

One of the most beautiful things for me is seeing the sheer variety of character customisations with armour, weapons and so forth that people take. And in all the PvP fights I've had, the thing that stands out isn't the type of build but the quality of the opponents I get.

My last opponent ran heavy armour with a spiky shield and a tricked out ******* sword and was whooped by my light armour sorcerer who can't melee to save his life without getting hit once. I've also been utterly crushed by an opponent who was completely naked and ran nowt but a sack for a helmet and a pair of caestus (that was horrific to fight against).

It's not an easy game to get into and, to be honest, the first time round you do need to use the cheat guides and so forth just to give you pointers. But there's so much variation within the game it's just awesome.

Plus you could always completely ignore the online advice out there and do your own thing. I've definitely won more PvP battles doing that than listening to advice about "optimum builds".

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't even know the normal price, but: Nope, not a full price game :D
    Not nearly good enough for like $5 in my opinion.
    It was nicely done, yes, I liked the humor - but with its riddles it's something you play once and probably never again.
    That plus very short... Nah, not a full price title at all.

Yay me! :happy: ;)

I agree, his variety really is amazing.
    And finding the right tune and style for the games and such (I liked "Halfmans Song" as well, even though it was more about the TV show ^^) - not bad at all.

And yeah, I don't like everything he does either, but I actually do like the majority.

Hopefully they will keep that course.
    The games industry is in dire need for people who can put good stories in games and not just make the next "kill eeverything that moves, no matter why"-game.

Maybe I will really skip it then.
    Take a look at the story on some homepage and that will be it.

Since I don't have to pay anything extra for the second game and it's already downloaded, I will give that a try at some point.

I actually hear that a lot, which is rather interesting, seeing how the Batman games get so much (positive) attention.

Yeah, I prefer that perspective as well!
    ;)

Which is exactly the main reason, why I keep waiting.
    I would probably go nuts lol

I bought the season pass for the "Game of Thrones" on sale a while ago, but I won't even download the games until the last episode got released!

Great, now I can hardly wait either way :p

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Game sounds flipping awesome.

10. LemonSloth

The game is marmite.

You either get hooked on it, sink 100+ hours of gameplay on your first play through and then later on think about getting back into it including variations of how to play (guilty as charged).

Or you play it through for a while, get ridiculously angry at being shafted by everything and everyone (including invading players from other consoles who just happen to love dropping in at the worst freaking times!), eat your controller in frustration and never play it again.

Plus the bosses are some of the most frustrating, terrifying and delightful to play against in virtually any game I've seen. Some of them are just amazingly gribbly. Some of them are fairly easy and rather dramatic. Some of them are so horrible to go up against you cry tears of blood. Being about a third of the way into the game and spending 4 hours to beat a pair of bosses in one area (called Ornstein & Smough) is not uncommon for a lot of folks.

My sole regret is that the story line isn't obvious. Rather than a crap tonne of cut scenes telling you what is happening and giving you lots of prettiness to look at, the vast majority of the story you have to gather from reading descriptions of treasures and equipments.

It's also quite easy to completely miss areas by accident because you overlook little things (illusionary walls you have to hit, certain tasks that require specific items in specific locations, etc).

But...this is an example of a boss battle. See what you think for yourself:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd2mUxtO4-M"]Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition - Knight Artorias Boss Fight - YouTube[/ame]

11. Southpaw535

Having already exhausted my extensive collection of swear words at a boss in Witcher, I imagine I'd be quick to rage quit Dark Souls. I did with Demon Souls at least. But I feel like I'm missing out by not playing a game that's basically legendary at this point. Luckily steam sales are a thing :p

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_NV4jegHWU"]SNES Sougou Kakutougi Rings: Astral Bout 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Found some old school pro wrestling games to waste time on, Rings in this case.

13. Southpaw535

Bought Alpha Protocol for 67 odd pence in the Humble sale. So far it feels meh. As far as spy games go its pretty cool: You get a safehouse as a hub, get intel hunts, black market sales and stuff. The RPG elements are also cool. Speech system is alright (albeit the choices are really vague and seem to make no sense at times. Plus your initial one seems to effect your character for the rest of the game) and there's a nice feature of building reputation with your colleagues that can help or hinder you if they're your handler for a misson.

But the actual mission gameplay bit is making it hard to get into. Stealth seems pretty broken, with no real rhyme or reason to enemy line of sight. They went the route of making guns bad unless you spec into them which means at the start of the game it's far easier for me to sprint at someone and beat them up than it is for me to shoot them. Although the combat takedowns are pretty cool. Cover system is also bad purely because they put in stuff like rolling between cover but its basically a roll of a certain distance. So it looks like you can switch between cover but you roll into the open and get shot.

Also picked up Guild 2 but the Renaissance version doesn't have a tutorial so I'll get round to that once I can be arsed to watch youtube videos.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Pumped some serious hours into Battlefield Hardline. Have to say, I feel it comes up really short against its predecessors Battlefield 3 and 4. The graphics and gameplay are smoother but the 'cops and robbers' angle just doesn't work for me. The limited weapons selection had me pining for my beloved M249 light-machinegun in just a few matches. I'll probably be taking it back to Game and exchanging it for 4.

15. Southpaw535

As luck would have it Sloth, Dark Souls just went on sale in the Humble Store so I've taken the plunge. If I'm off MAP for a while assume I threw my pc off the top of this tower block.

16. LemonSloth

Good man :D.

Let me know if you need any advice or help :)

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I was over at a buddy of mine today, and we played "Never alone" ("Kisima Inŋitchuŋa") together, a little indie title, that was free with Ps+.

I loved it!
    It's a very short game, but totally worth it.

It's based on an inuit story, which is told why you are playing the game.
    In the original language, with sub-titles, which does a lot for atmosphere!

The story is about a little girl, who leaves her village, to find out where the blizzards are coming from, that keep her people from hunting (and threatens to lead to starvation).
    You're accomponied by an arctic fox on your journey.

The game can be played in coop (one plays the girl and the other the fox) and is mainly a platformer.

What makes it a true gem (for me anyway) aside from the very nice story are the graphics and how everything is connected.

The voiceover in its inuit language, the graphic-style, the gameplay, the interactions/ relationship between the the girl and the fox - it's just beautifully done!

As a bonus you can find owls, which in return unlock short video clips.
    In those clips you learn something about the culture, the story, the making...

It's also a pretty easy game; since it's obviously made to give a story forth, from which it lives, it makes sense that way.

I'm sure the game isn't for everyone, but I was very glad I got to play it today, because ... well, because you can feel how it was made with lots of love! :)

Can't wait to play it again, when I will have my ps4. In... like a year or so :D

EDIT: Just looked the game on wiki, and thought that to be interesting as well: "The game also known as Kisima Inŋitchuŋa was developed by Upper One Games in conjunction with the Cook Inlet Tribal Council, a non-profit organization that works with indigenous groups living in Alaska's urban areas. The Council met with video game education company E-Line Media and generated the idea for Never Alone as part of a series that "shares, celebrates, and extends culture". The Council's for-profit Upper One Games is the "first indigenous-owned video game developer and publisher in US history". They built the game to explore "what it means to be human" and intergenerational stories. It is intended both to share the stories of native culture as entertainment, and to revitalize interest in Alaskan indigenous folklore. Proceeds from the game will fund the Council's education mission.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  18. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Dark souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin. Been great getting back into Drangleic while trying my very best to be grossly incandescent.

In regards to the above don't make your club Raw, it has A scaling in STR so the higher strength you have the more damage it will scale by. Making it RAW will get you something like 50 AR but will take away all scaling. It's not worth it. You should only use RAW infusion on low scaling weapons - C,D and E could be good RAW provided there base damage is high or low damage weapons such as daggers.

Raw is probably a good way to go for your sorcerer as he won't have high physical stats. When you get the moonlight great sword however you become a melee machine as it scales S in INT.

Baza

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  19. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Brilliant fight but i prefer Kalameet.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeMbxKBfmKc[/ame]

Baza

20. LemonSloth

I still haven't gotten round to playing that again.

I really should.

Aye, I worked that one out and reverted it back. The main reason I had it raw was because my character was a stupidly low level (taking on Anor Londo Lvl 12 :p [EDIT: Not lvl 12, Lvl 16. My bad]) but I've since stopped that and levelled her up properly. I haven't played with her since I started taking the sorcerer through Oolacile.

Killed Kalameet (sp?). That was a fair bit of fun but a bit frustrating at times. Killed Artorias. Holy crap was that fun, the dude is dynamite. Killed the Sanctuary Guardian (obviously) which I thought was a dramatic way to start off the DLC properly. Nice boss. Currently duelling with Manus and getting my butt whooped but loving it :D

I didn't think of trying to upgrade a greatsword to be the moonlight great sword...I upgraded a spear to be the Butterfly horn though. That's been relatively decent, but but compared to the magic arsenal my guy bursts out against bosses (Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring + Tin Crystallization Catalyst has been absolute dynamite against bosses thus far), it's just not the same. Surprisingly good in PvP though, the extra distance from everyone using freaking lightning Claymores and Dragon Axes and such...

I do have a raw +5 club for the sorcerer as well but I'm actually not a fan of it for him, strangely. I don't like getting so close with a person who wears very little armour.

Looking at taking a break from getting whooped by Manus and whoop Nito instead.

Last edited: May 26, 2015