Canelo-Golovkin-Cotto

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, May 22, 2015.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

Which match would you like to see most? Alvarez-Cotto? Or after both fighters recent performances, Golovkin-Alvarez? Is Golovkin too big for Cotto? Or do you think Golovkin should be looking to go up, not look for either smaller fighters to come up to him, or possibly go down for a catchweight? I mean, he keeps mentioning Mayweather. What do you think?

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Personally i'd really like to see Golovkin-Ward, but i get the idea Ward has no interest in fighting outside of super middleweight, because if he was going to move up he'd be in the firing line of the other beast from the east, Kovalev.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'd like to see Mayweather-Golovkin.

Only a few kilos between them, it's do-able.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I read that GGG would have to make 145 because Mayweather won't move up at all.

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Or as Mayweather sr put it, "he ain't fixing to fight no damned giant."

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I don't think Cotto really wants any part of it. Alvarez might be game but his handlers (Oscar) don't think him ready for GGG yet and those are pretty deep waters to be sending Canelo out in.

One name that hasn't been mentioned yet - Carl Froch, who seems to be toying with the idea of Golovkin, or retiring altogether.

The fight would make sense so far as Golovkin desperately needs some elite-name competition if he is going to attract the big fish. Right now, GGG is seen as high-risk, low-reward and a fight with Froch, who was defeated by Ward, would be a natural segue into serious pressure for a Ward/Golovkin.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've been seeing rumblings of a Froch fight, which would probably be entertaining, but only because i don't really think Froch has the fire to do anything to GGG beyond make it to the highlight reel.

8. belltoller

Ja, its not a done deal by any means but so far it looks like Gennady's only ticket out of the purgatory he's been relegated to till now. A crime if he's not able to to manage some headlining fights soon - such a waste of potential.

Alvarez has the very enviable benefit of time on his side; not so with Golovkin.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

True, it says quite a bit about the state of boxing given how many headline fights a guy like Danny Geale can get.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The fact that Golovkin is considered "aging" in boxing makes me cry; guy is only 33 :cry:

Where did the time go?

11. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I'd like to see a Golovkin vs Froch fight. Carl has a head made of reinforced concrete and doesn't know how to take a backwards step. Instant classic.

12. puma

puma Valued Member

I think Froch would beat him. I didn't see all of GGG's last fight, but I really didnt think he was very impressive at all against Murray. Ward would eat him for breakfast. I think Cotto could surprise him. At least Froch won't be scared of him, and will hit him back. I think GGG is getting a bit "ploddy." If he steps up the level of opposition, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a lot of trouble to be honest. I think he just thinks he can blast everyone away sooner or later, which to be fair he is, but we have seen this attitude become a problem in the past.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

345-5 as an amateur, never been knocked off his feet, olympic silver medalist, and you think Froch is going to give him trouble?

14. belltoller

I heard Murray claiming Golovkin's punching power lacked in snap 'n pop - after being knocked down three times then loosing by KO.

Uh-huh...uhmm-hmmm....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though Martain's a tough one; took GGG to the 11th for the first time.

Didn't miss much, really...same ole same old...another dominating performance followed by a KO ::yawn::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

t'wern't scared of Ward, either.

[​IMG]

An active Ward - you might be right; but when was the last time
    Andre was in the ring?

If Ward and Golovkin were to fight tomorrow....?

He's not a Mayweather, Rigondeaux or Lara, for certain. Which is why I'd grant Andre Ward's defencive style the upper hand all other things being equal.

But Golovkin hasn't had to be up till this point, has he? Maybe its an acquired skill, lol.

Which makes a possible Carl Froch fight so compelling; as Yatezy pointed out, "its an instant classic". [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  15. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

I'd like to see canelo and GGG square off cotto and canelo would be an exiting fight as well

16. belltoller

Alvarez vs Cotto would be more likely. Canelo/Golovkin will be a mega fight but it needs building ( which means more name-rec for GGG ). Wouldn't expect to see that for another year or two.

I'd not mind seeing Canelo and Keith Thurman - another I've come to like.

17. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

18. belltoller

He musta thought about it and changed his tune. That happens. I think we tend to be more objective in the moments after we are humbled - before rest, food and a few stout have buoyed up one's bottle ;)

From ESPN website 25.02.15

-------------
    Right, I've glanced over a few more interviews and the preponderance of them are more in line with the BadLeftHook.com piece you linked. Its possible ESPN took journalistic liberties ( like they'd be the first :rolleyes: ) and twisted Murray's responses a bit to suit their aims.

Any road, Martain, as tough as they come and he took the fight where others would not and one canna fault a fighter for a bit of "I was nailed so hard I couldna remember where I was - but I coulda took a lot more if it warn't for me {fill in blank}."

Without some of that, a fighter simply won't be able to bounce back from losses. Just seemed at first glance to be an attempt to downplay Golovkin's power.

It was really that fight that had me to thinking that perhaps, Golovkin not just the product of the hype machine.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  19. puma

puma Valued Member

Well, yes. The thing with Froch now is, there has to be a time when the wars take their toll. We saw against Groves, especially being knocked down, that they have. If we was talking about the Froch that walked through Bute, something else I predicted that not many others agreed with, then I'd have no doubt he'd do the same to GGG. Don't forget, GGG would be going up in weight. And Froch is just a mentalist. Fit, about 6ft 1-ish I think, 12-stone odd, been in with the absolute best at Supermiddle, proven that he can go flat-out and won't give up late on like the likes of Murray will, hits hard himself, yeah, I think Golovkin has problems. Does anyone really want to go to war with Froch? Even now? And Khan is a silver Olympic medalist. Didn't mean much the 3 times he got knocked out though did it?

As for my "ploddy" comment, I am not saying he's crap. Just that, I feel, he will have to do more against the elite, especially against the bigger guys in the weight group above, than he did against Murray. If he thinks he can fight, say, Ward, and just walk towards him with his hands up thinking sooner or later he will knock him out, well, I think he'd have a big shock coming. If I think Cotto would give him plenty of trouble, I'm sure you can see why I think it would be madness to fight Ward. I'm not sure how much confidence Golovkin actually has in fighting the bigger guys. I know it's about money, but talking about Mayweather, an average size at best welter, doesn't seem right when there are so many other challenges at the 12-stone limit. Go up, not down, I say. If you think you can of course.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The only way i can really see him winning is if he is able to simultaneously maintain range without being caught on the ropes, which is asking a little much of Froch, sure, his jab has probably got more weight than anyone GGG has fought, but I've never seen Golovkin troubled by a jab, and it's nowhere near as fast as it was when i saw Andre Ward totally flummox it either, but still, Froch is only 2 inches taller with about the same advantage in reach, so it's hardly David vs Goliath.

As for calling him ploddy, i think your kind of misunderstanding his footwork, sure, he's an entirely pressure orientated fighter, but he's pretty good at cutting the ring off and getting people pressed up against the ropes so he can unload at the guy he's stalking, not to mention he's got an excellent ability to control ranges with those short backward hops he sometimes does.