Jon Bones Jones suspect in Hit and run involving a pregnant woman

Discussion in 'MMA' started by aaradia, Apr 27, 2015.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Sentencing wise, it's the same as being under the influence. The idea being, there is no advantage to leaving the accident to avoid a breath test.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Right, so an equivalent level of sentencing for fleeing the scene as for being over the limit gives no benefit to the offender if they scarper.

That's not quite what you said before, but I think that is probably what you meant.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just goes to show that all the criticisms of Jon Jones being a hypocrite and fake are pretty much bang on.
    Takes some kind of icehole to hit and run (not that he knew it he'd hit a pregnant lady...that's just the icing on the cack-cake).

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Not here - legally anyways. Legally one is always innocent until proven guilty.

One running away (not to mention running back to grab cash-ignore injured person- then run away again) does leave a pretty damning impression in the world of public opinion though.

Edit- Saw your second post about this being in regards to failing a drug test. That is a good question. I don't know.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So if all this proves to be true, what does everyone think the UFC's reaction will be?

I suppose it depends on the legal consequences, but it'd be nice to see the UFC set an example here (Jones is one of their stars so I doubt they will).

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Interim belt created, enofrced/supported rehab and a suspension of sorts with a big and lucrative unification match down the road

7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Don't forget the book deal...

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

General agreement (amongst pundits) that he'll get stripped. As just because he has been bailed, he has yet to be formally charged and might even be tied up in Court for unknown amount of time.
    -
    Rumble has made a comment that he is happy to wait for Bones, there is a month left before he fights. So either they'll do an interim for May23rd or move the Interim match for another time and make Wiedman/Belfort as Main

9. aaradia

Jon Jones stripped of his belt! He is suspended indefinitely! Cormier vs. Johnson for the belt - and not an interim one.

Jones wrote he is sorry for letting people down and he has a lot of soul searching to do.

Innocent until proven guilty, but if he was completely innocent, why would he say he had soul searching to do?

Woah! I did not expect this. I don't know, part of me thinks the UFC jumped the gun. But maybe Jones told them enough for them to know it was the right thing to do?

GSP is the GOAT. Others getting close are dropping in disgrace.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/jon-jo...mier-meets-johnson-for-vacant-belt-at-ufc-187

10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Didn't expect that, either. Real quick-like, it was.

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Guess I won't be seeing that Jones Gustafsson rematch anytime soon!

I'm glad they took this step. He needs to learn the hard way, he's been given chances and hasn't taken them.

I doubt very much it will be indefinite though, knowing Dana White. I think that would be a shame for MMA.

Odds on Jones going to Bellator? :D

12. aaradia

He isn't released from his contract. He is suspended.

I am fairly certain he can't go fight for another organization.

But maybe I am wrong?

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Glad to see the UFC do the right thing here.

14. Mushroom

He is suspended indefinately. No one would touch him (at this time).
    I'm now torn between Rumble vs DC. I like both guys (as fighters).

Imagine AKA having 2 big Champs (potential 3rd if Rockhold gets his) and if Rumble wins, it'll be like the Robbie Lawler story for the LHWs.

Aaradia, he didn't plead innocence, but will see what deals his lawyers etc may come up with. Case might not even make it to court but will see.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

He didn't really leave the UFC any choice. He'll be suspended until after the prosecution and/or any prison time he has to serve. After that, he'll be back.

16. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

well, Dana confirmed, Jones get immediate title shot (at his own belt) upon return

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That is SOP since he never technically lost it - as morally repugnant as I find Jones it is not an unusual step for a promoter

18. Mushroom

There's a lot of other factors too. How long he will be out, will be in shape on return etc...

Apparently Ryan Bader wants the next shot (if DC wins)

That'll be a sad day to see.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's kind of sad really that the ufc right out of the gate had to make the most compelling match up in the division sans Jones, unless it's a barn burner that leads to calls for an immediate rematch, the LHW division is more than likely going to become something of a pariah until bones returns.

20. Mushroom

Yeah. It'll forever be..."never be as good as pre prison Jones" kind of mentality.