First class and anxiety!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by SteveP, May 8, 2015.

1. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

It's one of the reasons I want to train in an MA. I remember it gave me confidence as a kid. I work alone all day at home so I'm becoming a bit of a hermit so I really want to give myself a reason / commitment to get me out of the house and mixing with people in the evenings. Over winter I suffer with a mild depression so my aim is to be nicely settled in by then with goals outside of my business life.

I used to climb a lot but found it wasn't good for my state of mind and often made my anxiety worse. Being stubborn I kept trying to beat it so I didn't feel like a quitter and it took counselling to convince me that sometimes it's good to move on.

2. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

Did my first BJJ class tonight and, wow, what have I been missing! That was awesome! Harder work than I was expecting. I'm pretty fit and physically capable so I thought I'd be fine but I definitely felt it. I guess it's different energy systems to what I'm used to with mountain bike racing and bouldering. Brilliant, just what I wanted.

Got partnered up with experienced folk and everyone was super-helpful. Even got involved in some sparring with higher belts.

As is always the case I don't know what I was worried about! Hooked now! Can't wait for the next class!

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. Really appreciated.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

great to hear. just keep rolling. everything will be fine as long as you keep at it.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I have really bad anxiety problems sometimes, glad you just went through with it. I sort of feel like I have to babysit myself and be like "Shut up brain, you want to do this, it'll be fine." You're right, always feels better after you do it once.

5. SteveP

SteveP Valued Member

I was like that tonight, all the way there I kept saying to myself "Just go in!". I'd had a busy day programming which kept my mind occupied so it was a good opportunity to get over my first day nerves.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Congratulations. Often the first step in a journey is the hardest. :)