Why do thai boxers move differently ?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by daggers, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think Fire Cobra should set the rules :)

Not only do you have the ruleset nonsense you also have the respect and lack of available technique as nobody wants to finish anyone's carear.
    Seen the mess that can happen when a top class thai fighter is fighting a European. Usually gets messy. Shame they're held back

2. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Iv not come accross this "holding back " too much. Every too fighter I know goes out to win by any means nessasery
    Sure it will happen, it happens in boxing, UFC etc, it's the name if the game unfortunately , we live in a money driven society , but what we really want are fighters and coaches getting the recognition and paid what they deserve

Plus I don't see what's wrong with the uniformed ruleset coming about
    Since the ibmto came about the standard of uk muay thai has gone through the roof!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  3. Moi

I was thinking of elbows with the 'holding back' bit. I'd been told they tend not to use them asuch as a bad cut can mess up your longevity
    A uniform ruleset is great providing it's not the bookies writing it :)

4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Yes I agree I think elbows should be included even at c class rules, even with pads if need be

5. Moi

I know a young(ish) lady in North Wales that'd love you. She was very good with her elbows :)

6. guybrush

guybrush New Member

because most of these other styles you do not have to worry about leg kicks. When I first started martial arts (mma which included some muay thai techniques) one of the first things my instructor said to me is "youre not a boxer, change your stance, you'll get your leg swept out from under you really easily if you stand like that". I was standing "like a surfer" apparently, I had to bring my back leg forwards more and make my stance wider as well. Shoulder width apart and the same amount back is a good stance to not get easily swept over when your front leg gets slammed by a Muay Thai style shin kick. I am not sure what you mean by slower set on the back foot and about the pace though.

and btw if you are bouncing like a kickboxer and take a full on muay thai kick to the legs whilst youre in the air you'll end up near doing a flip and slam to the ground so hard.

7. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

Dutch Muay Thai has more of a 50-50 weight distribution while more eastern/traditional MT places more weight on the rear leg

8. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I don't know where people get bouncing like a Kickboxer from. You don't see fighters like Mike Zambidis or Buakaw bouncing around like Tigger on LSD. Maybe people think Full Contact Kickboxing/K1 Rules Kickboxing is the same as Light Continous/Semi Contact Point Sparring?

I find stance, footwork and weight distribution will change over the course of a fight, so it will never be exactly the same all of the time depending on if they're attacking or defending, but it can be very fighter specific. Every fighter has their own unique style.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  9. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I think they should just have Amateur and Pro. Amateur with pads, Pro without pads.