Isometric split progression

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Soreness is a sign you're too weak for that level.

Tom Kurz advises to be conservative and reduce the intensity of exercises.

But DOMS is a natural part of strength training, so you'd probably be fine repeating the same workout when the soreness has passed.

Just don't ever do them while sore.

2. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Thanks, I will repeat the same one, and if I get soreness again I will reduce the repetitions.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You don't need to reduce it much, just shave a little off the intensity (e.g. if you were tensing at 100% effort, dial it down to 70-80%).

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop New Member

I've experienced the same thing on this level. My adductors were sore for 3 days.
    I've had plenty of DOMS before but this one felt different. Even while sitting in a chair, therse still was this tingling feeling. So just to be safe, I waited 6 days to continue the isometric stretches.

5. BiGF00T

BiGF00T New Member

Well, how to say this... I think I still didn't fully understand the process as described in the initial post. There were numerous posts asking about the duration of the muscle tension and I still don't get it :(

1) 1 set x 0:30 (1)
    For one training session do the splits once with 30 seconds of muscle tension.
    Question: Do I go down to the maximum by "normal" short tensions and apply a 30 seconds tension in the end? Or do I go down, flex for 30 seconds, go deeper, stretch 30 seconds, go deeper, etc. until I reach my person limit?

15) 5 sets x 3:00 (6)
    Same here (or here, it makes much more of a difference). Should I go into maximum stretch by short tensions and then do a three minute tension or should I go down as far as I can comfortably manage, apply 3 minutes tension, go deeper followed by another 3 minute tension, etc. until I run out of time or can't go deeper?

Sorry for asking this question again. I really read all the answers but I'm still unsure.

6. theog1989

theog1989 New Member

Sorry for the Nooby question.
    What does ROM stand for? I read the first couple of pages but didn't see anyone bring it up.

Looking at starting this program to further my stretch.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

ROM stands for range of motion.

8. theog1989

theog1989 New Member

*Facepalm*

Of course it would be that obvious. Thanks!

9. Gunner

Gunner Valued Member

I have a 34" inseam. When I started stretching 6 months ago, I could stretch 58" inches heal to heal. I've been able to increase stretch to 63" with a lot of push to get there. Not very comfortable eaither. I started doing isometrics a week ago and the other day did wide deep squats with a barbell. My adductors have the DOMS bigtime.

Is it normal to have a decrease in flexibilty at first while the adductor's DOMS subside and the muscles adjust to the strain?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes.

Don't get too caught up on the figures, i.e. you're x amount of inches off the floor. Just let it happen.

11. KonradCurze

KonradCurze New Member

Newbie question

Is it possible to do these stretches for both front and side splits at over the same period

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do you mean, can you do front and side split stretches in the same session?

Yes.

13. richardgjm

richardgjm New Member

Book?

You mentioned a book you were writing in this thread has it been published? If so, where can I get a copy?

14. dariodariodario

dariodariodario Valued Member

I need your help Mr Van Zadt

I have a dream:DO THE SPLIT.I have no genetic problem but for strange reason maybe because God Or Visnu or Buddha don't want that i do the split my progression is very low or in other world there is no progression.You Mr Van Zadt is my last oppurtunity to reach this dream.If i must to buy a read i buy if i pay you i do ,i work to reach any sum of money but help me please.I'm desperate i dream in the night to do it but when the morning i wake up the dream don't come true.I don't want leave my dream.Help me please you are my last chance.Sorry for the english but i'm italian

Best Regards
    Dario Caruso

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My book is on indefinite hiatus.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSGp4UdEvQ"]Stewie on Brian's novel - YouTube[/ame]

17. dariodariodario

:D

ok then i wanto to do the split can you help me can you follow me with a schedule maybe or with specific exercises.I read a your old post about isometric tension.One word:WONDERFUL!Please help me with your method.Your word about the progression give me the hope to reach my goal

18. dariodariodario

ok

I wish you have a wonderful fight i wait you respond me but don't forget me.Sorry for my insistence

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi Dario.

Thank you for your message. You don't need to pay anything; one of the things that makes Martial Arts Planet such a wonderful resource is that there is so much high quality information available for free. Don't forget to check out the other sub-forums too.

Much of the information you need to know to achieve the splits already exists in the flexibility sub-forum. However, I'm happy to answer questions and offer guidance here, again, because I want to help you and anyone else who needs it.

Before we go any further, we need to get an idea of your starting point. What stretching exercises are you doing currently?

20. dariodariodario

one million thanks

now nothing because after another program stretching buy i depressed but i do not isometric stretch but :
    1) dynamic stretch
    2) i stretch and ankle with deadlift using plates because i don't do this without weights
    3) i stretch legs and hip flexor
    4) i try do to the split but nothing i don't slide down :bang:
    I wait your reponse doctor:cry: