Car Hire in Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by KarateMum, May 22, 2015.

1. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

So I've never rented a car before, but need to arrange car hire picked up in Toronto (from the airport), then I'm going to drive it around, over the USA border and deliver it back to Toronto airport about 17 days later.

All advice relating to the above would be appreciated, but in particular who to hire from. I'm going to need a good amount of load space, a family sized car and 3 large suitcases plus. Should I stick with the 'big name groups, Hertz, Budget, Avis etc. Online I've found a good number of less well known hire groups who might be a taxi ride from the airport, but whom might come in cheaper. I want a reliable service, no hidden costs, but would sooner not be stung unduly cost wise, though happy to pay a fair rate. I'd be happy to have some recommendations or which companies to avoid, if anyone has any experience to share. Many thanks

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The best recommendation I can provide is Hertz. Neither I nor my family have had any issues with them save once and they happily discounted for it. Great customer service as far as I'm concerned.

3. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Lookout for the UK drivers license changes coming in June, the paper part will no longer be valid and you need to go to some govt web site to get a code that proves how many points you have on your license. You will need this code when hiring cars, at least in theory.

4. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Phantom Power, thank you, I knew the paper part was vanishing, but didn't know about the web-site and code thing - I'll add it to my list of things to do before I go. Luckily no points at the moment, but if I need proof of that I'd clearly better get it. Thanks :)

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  5. CanuckMA

CanuckMA Valued Member

Don't book on the web site. Call them and advise them of your intention to cross the border. Many rental agencies take issue with that.

6. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Hi CanuckMA, I had already made a booking with Budget, but on the back of your posting I emailed customer service at Budget.com yesterday and within 24 hours I have back a personalised reply stating that there will be no issues :-D and that the only thing I need to do is to let the desk in Toronto know when I collect the car and they will add a note to the physical contract. They also politely acknowledged my extra effort in contacting them - I must admit I was impressed to get a personal reply that quickly. If their customer service is that good online I have high hopes that this will be maintained at their desk. Mind you I will be taking said emailed reply in case of any problems!!

7. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Phantom Power, I have been and found the DVLA/Gov website to get the code. In case it is of interest to anyone, at the moment said 'code' is only valid for 5 days from issue, and you can only generate 5 codes in 24 hours. In my case it will mean generating a code the day or so prior to leaving (something else to remember to do) for the hire company - it also will expire during the duration of the car hire so it's to be hoped no-one else needs to ask for it during that time. It doesn't sound particularly well through as a system in that respect in my opinion. Anyhow, this might help someone else.