A couple of Muay Thai classes in...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by conure1986, May 2, 2015.

1. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hey all,

I've just had my second Muay Thai lesson and I really enjoyed it, but I'm a bit concerned about a few things. First off, I'm not aiming to fight competitively or anything like that! It's mainly for fitness and fun but I'd love to do a bit of sparring when I improve.

Today I was paired up with a guy that has been doing it a few years and he seemed pretty annoyed because, to be honest, I was really bad. I got the order of combos wrong, mixed up jabs and crosses, and was generally fairly uncoordinated. My fitness is okay because I'm a runner, but I've never done many hand eye coordination sports so yeah, I probably don't look great...

Is there anything anyone could suggest to stop me ****ing off people who are experienced and wanting to actually train, rather than coach a newbie?

The other thing was, this guy didn't really hold back much. We did some conditioning which involved being kicked in the leg, and after about 5 my leg almost buckled. It hurt like hell, which I expected and I'm not afraid of the pain, just more...Looking like a fool as I'm the only guy that collapses.

Can anyone offer advice? I'm guessing it gets easier, the pain and fitness isn't an issue, mentally I'm fairly tough through the running I do, but I don't want to be a burden on people.

Hope someone can lend me some advice :)

Thanks

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think just stick it out. Try to maintain focus, it can be difficult to do when you're being physically taxed. If the level of contact is too high, ask that he go lighter. This isn't a macho contest, you're trying to train effectively. Work combinations that the coach shows you at home. Beyond that, just keep working at it. This practice is your time too, you paid the bill and if you're giving it your all, you should be treated with respect.

3. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Thanks for the message :) After the class I spoke with the instructor and he also suggested watching some videos and practising at home. I guess that involves just doing the movements slowly on my own? The club I've joined has plenty of bags and equipment so I can go down and practice any time. Could you recommend any basic guides? Pretty embarrassed to admit that, really, though I know what a cross, jab and hook are, I don't actually really know how to throw them!

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tell the guy to stop being a douchenozzle and stop hitting so hard. Or ask the instructor.

In the immediate future, I suggest leaning into the kick, it takes the worst part of the sting out of the kick.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm not the best guy to talk to about striking, I'm only moderately more competent than you. My go to has always been practice what my coach showed me. If he or she showed me a jab cross hook, that's all I'll work on. If I don't know how to throw them well, I'd ask my coach to show me in slow motion how to throw the punch. I would pay attention to my coach's feet, knees, hips, shoulders, arms and head. No matter how unintuitive it is, I'd try to copy that motion with a bag. Most importantly, I'd talk to my coach, let them know where I'm having problems and ask them how to fix that. They move the way you want to move, they used to move poorly, ask them how they improved.

Part of making it comfortable is learning to feel what you're doing, how you transmit the movements of your hips into a hook, say, and you only get that by paying really close attention to someone's form and then just doing it a few thousand times.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Stick at it. It will come to you soon enough. Don't worry about not knowing stuff. Everyone starts somewhere. If someone hits you too hard ask them to tone it down. It's quite possible they're hitting you hard because you're hitting hard due to lack of control (this is normal when newbies are trying to learn how to kick). Talk to your instructor.

7. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Really new to Muay Thai

Hey all,

I've signed up to a local Muay Thai gym and been to 2 classes now, and I love it. Even though during the class a few times I found myself thinking "What the hell have I signed up to!", since I got out I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

At the moment, I'm really bad. I'm not exactly a sporty guy (I run, but my hand eye coordination is a joke). I find the stances and coordination really hard. My instructor said I should go home and practice stances then come into the gym outside of classes and work on the bags. What I was wondering is, could anyone link me some of the real, real basics? I know roughly what a jab, hook and cross are, but I can't really execute them. I'd like to find either videos of guides that show me the very basics.

The reason is, I'd like to be able to turn up to classes and know how to stand. I'm not looking to learn anything advanced outside of class, just very basic things.

Hope you can help!

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hey man! Glad you're enjoying yourself.

I don't have any videos right now, but some advice I could give is shadowboxing often. I do it a lot. Waiting for the kettle to boil, at home and the tv is on. Waiting for world of Warcraft to load....

Just whenever you can. Focus on your form, don't worry about looking stupid.

9. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Thank very much for all the advice guys! :)

10. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Is your coach actually teaching you the basic strikes? When I was absolute 400lbs newb in boxing the coach, who was a 4 time golden glove and numerous state championships spent the first few days just teaching movement and the basic strikes. Then as I was on the bags, he would go around to everyone and make corrections and suggestions.

My old mma gym did the same thing.

So I guess the question is, are you being taught? It sounds like your being forced to learn through osmosis and that's a horrid way to learn if you don't have some instruction already.

For boxing videos I love http://www.myboxingcoach.com/ . This is the a great boxing website. My boxing coach introduced things very slowly, and spent the first few weeks of my training on striking and moving only. I wanted to get a head start on the defensive stuff and this at least let me look at proper defense. It was a great resource for when proper defense training started.

11. Unreal Combat

Where are you training Conure?

12. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hey UnrealCombat - really sorry for the late reply, I only just realised it was here! I was training at FightCityGym in central London but it was pretty far from my flat, so now I'm training at the MMA Den (http://www.mmaden.com/)

How about you?

13. Unreal Combat

I run my own club nowadays though I do visit Thanapron in Sheffield and Loughborough Muay Thai in Loughborough on a regular basis to sharpen my skills.

14. leeroyjenkins

leeroyjenkins Valued Member

1st post in the forum.....w00t.

first off, don't be concerned. Everyone starts somewhere and pretty soon you will learn the combinations and how to hit the pads properly. In my experience, the reason why more experienced guys can get mad is when the new guys hold the pads wrong causing overextension and injury....or when you end up kicking elbow or something similar. It is up to your coach to correct this. If the guy is so much more experienced he should know to take it easy.

I know this might sound weird too, but when I first started, I made it a habit of asking people to go hard on the pads...so I could get used to the impact and condition my legs and arms and also to not get fazed by the power of the blows. When you first start your arms bruise up, but you soon learn to get conditioned.

Maybe practice your combinations by yourself. You can do them in front of the mirror so that next time you go back you get the most out of it.

As for the kicks, I think you are beating yourself up a bit, the guys will have been doing it longer than you. It takes time. Just enjoy it, show that you are willing to learn and listen to what the experienced people say. If they say things to you, its because they want to help you. Ask the instructor if you are concerned about anything.

keep training!

15. neems

neems Valued Member

You sound like you've got a good attitude,so just stick to it for now and keep enjoying yourself,if someones being an idiot and hitting you too hard,tell them and avoid pairing with them if you can.

If you're getting good instruction it should all start making sense slowly but surely.and personally I would say remove any ego you have during training.

No-ones going to think you're a wimp if you tell them to ease up a bit,and if they do,who cares?