Where does the power come from in a fajing strike/ an internal power strike?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by cpthindsight, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpthindsight

cpthindsight Banned Banned

I can box, in boxing the power comes from hip rotation, the drive of 1 leg, as well as weight transfer from foot to foot and kinetic linking from the hip/foot rotation to the fist. (theres more to it than that but thats where the bulk of the power comes from)

Well where does the power in a Fajing strike come from? Whats different about it when compared with say a boxing punch?

I hear its mostly relaxation, aligning the skeleton efficiently and using gravity to create momentum or explosive force. (As well as hip rotation)

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Depends what system you're speaking of.All fa-jin isn't executed the same way.So we talking Southern Mantis,Chen T'ai Chi, Tong Bei?

There is no generic fa-jin.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

This is a clip I filmed recently, looking at a method of developing punching power from the ground,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37Ie9EgwnY[/ame]

It's similar to the method you have described in the OP.

4. cpthindsight

thats an awesome video thanks

it doesnt seem much different to a boxing punch in that example though, theres alot more complexity to it from other demos ive seen

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bingo

6. cpthindsight

wrong, done fully an internal punch is alot more complex and difficult to do than a boxing punch, what he showed was just part of what is supposed to be done not all of the mechanics are there

7. Hannibal

Nope

What you are looking at is a refinement of the motion for internal compared to the external (which are meaningles. Terms anyway)

Also as you have no idea how it is done your polemic dismissal is clearly misplaced

8. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Tim Cartmell offers the best explanation of "internal" power that I have seen.

External power (as usually found in boxing) is sequential. Pivot on foot, rotate hips, turn shoulder, extend arm..... it is done in sequence.

Internal power (as usually found in say Xing Yi Quan) the whole body moves in a single unified motion, thus avoiding the sequential movements of External power generation.

The analogy I always use is imagine a bodybuilder lifting a barbell from the floor to their hips, reverse curling it to their shoulders, then pressing over head from the shoulders, then sitting in to a half squat. That is "external"

Imagine an Olympic weightlifter snatching the same barbell from the floor in a single movement and ending up in the same position. That would be more "internal". It gives a very pale idea of how to understand it.

Tim Cartmell also said that there aren't internal and external arts, but there are internal and external practioners. So a boxer could use internal methods for power generation.

What you are doing sounds external though. Nothing wrong with that, it's not any worse than internal methods so far as I know.

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Interesting. Would you explain this statement with some detail please?

What mechanics are missing in your opinion? And how/ what specifically makes an internal punch more complex and difficult to do?

You say you "hear" this and that about fajing strikes, and you ask questions about it - then you make a factual statement above.

So, I am a bit confused as to your experience in practicing fajing. It would help me understand where you are coming from in this thread.

Thanks!

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I enjoyed this. Nicely done.

Some questions about things you are doing but not calling out in the video.

1) Landing more flat footed on your front foot (transfers power more instantly than heel-to-toe or ball-to-heel).

2) Opening the hip (this is leading with the waist), an exaggerated example of opening the hip:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqfYwhsQdQ"]The brutal Double Hip system - YouTube[/ame]

3) Principle of independent movement. You do not turn and step at the same time. Instead you either step then turn or turn then step.

Is the above just so fundamental that it isn't needed to be mentioned? Or is it not mentioned because you do not agree with the above?

11. cpthindsight

im not gonna give u valuable info, i came looking for info, im not giving it out when i get nothing in return

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Then why bother commenting at all?

13. cpthindsight

please ban me, this place sucks for info lol

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

News to me and I suspect everyone who has ever been taught to throw a boxing style punch.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Here's some useful info for you: grow up!

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Then why should anyone else share valuable info with you?

What do they get in return?

17. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i am going to nitpick: every movement starts with gravity pulling you down and is defined by how you respond to that :p

edit: argh, that for the other fajing thread, not this one :p

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

also, isn't fajing not an exclusively striking thing? i was under the impression that, for example, taiji fajing was more for grappling, to take prople dowwn violently or suddenly jolt a joint for a lock or break.

19. Hannibal

Just stop posting then buttercup - its not as if you have actually contributed anything of value so you won't even be missed

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

cpthindight. I am putting my moderator hat on now. I want to be really clear about my talking to you as a moderator vs just posting as another member talking with you.

I already asked you one time to follow the policy on MAP regarding Text speak. It isn't allowed. Below is the part of the TOS that applies. Please follow it from now on. That is - stop abbreviating and spell out your words .

As in "you" not "u". Thanks.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/terms.php

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.