The dichotomy of speed and strength

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by IMAS, Aug 16, 2013.

1. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

There are comments like your super fast but no power, your are very powerful but too slow, etc. When I was doing a bit boxing in the old days my coach forbidden us to do any weight training, but in Judo weight training is a must if you are competing. Now they talk about cross training in MMA.

So any thought on the subject from your experiences or learning?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep, you should have changed boxing coaches.

3. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Strength is nothing without speed, speed is nothing without strength.

We have to be fast enough to hit the opponent before they can hit us, and strong enough to make sure the strike was effective. That's it.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Simon nailed it.

You need only look at sprinters to see the failed logic of "muscle = slow."

5. iaw-maidstone

iaw-maidstone Valued Member

and also to a certain extent "muscle=strength"
    quite often guys come into class that you look at and think , strong guy, but then they throw a punch and you think was that it, you attack their attack and they are like, ow! that hurt
    I think if you train often,correctly and hard at whatever you do the speed and strength will come

6. Simon

IMAS, what are your thoughts.

Did you/do you agree with your boxing coach.

What are your current thoughts on training with weights and how do you apply this to your student's needs?

What is your understanding when it comes to speed, for there are different types of speed?

7. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

Taking a sport specific approach is not a problem as an athlete will achieve a balance in the speed and strength continuum over time. But it is a problem if a sprinter wants to be a top marathon runner, or a top boxer becoming a top Judoka, etc., then it is a dichotomy.

8. Simon

Eh?

Just say if you don't know. :rolleyes:

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Simon nailed it. Again.

At this rate you'll have to change your name to MC Hammer.

10. Simon

Stupid idea.

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Bro what time zone are you in? It looks like.... Hammertime.

12. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Too legit... Too legit to quit

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the answer goes back to the yin yang of water. A great something once said, "The Yin Yang of water is a bit technical and most people will have problems in classifying following and recoiling in terms of the Yin Yang system." I mean, if you just google "yin yang of water" you'll have your answer.

Attached Files:

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Use your hips more, and move your entire body as one. You'll have a lot more power that way.

15. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

Thanks, and you are right in producing more power by the movement of the hip. There is a paper on the differences between boxer and karateka doing the reverse punch, and boxer has stronger shoulder muscles while karateka has more hip movements.

Maybe, my question is not very clear.

How about is it easier to put an armbar on a baseball pitch than a weightlifter? Assuming that they are beginners in BJJ.

16. Simon

Can you post a link to that paper?

As someone who uses a lot of boxing in his style I find it interesting you think the shoulder is involved.

I would also argue the case about the Karateka having more hip movement. It may be a longer movement due to the stance difference, but the mechanics is what we should be discussing. So explain "more".

I ask again what your understanding of speed and strength is, as it seems you quote papers, but cannot give an explanation yourself.

17. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

Reverse punch - IUMA
    www.iuma.be/reverse punch.html‎
    Biomechanical Analysis of Reverse Punch Technique in Karate & Boxing. The Effectiveness of the Reverse Punch, by Prof. Emeric Arus, Ph.D., MS. This article ...

18. Simon

The link doesn't work and again "what is your understanding"?

19. IMAS

IMAS Banned Banned

20. Simon

You're still not answering my question.