Gi Colours

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pieman, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

This might be a daft question, but its genuine one -

Have been watching a lot of MA videos online recently, and especially BJJ, one thing I noticed is there seems to be wide selection of Gi colours even in the same school - is there any significance to Gi colour or is it just a case of different colours worn to assist referee / spectators in differentiating the knot created when two people get down to it?

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

pretty sure ibjjf rules specify that competitors can only wear white, black, or navy gi's. i don't know about other organizations like naga though.

while i personally would love to rock a pink kyra gracie atama gi, i'm not going to spend money on a gi that's not competition-approved.

show us examples of videos with gi colors.

3. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

white, black, or navy were mainly the colours I meant - just most other MA I seen everyone in the class (apart from the instructors) all wear the same colour -e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=aVwUGE8_OyYIXM&tbnid=87YcqkV9CdqiuM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fumaai.com%2Fstaff%2Fphotos%2Fphotos.html&ei=i_4MUoDeNuq90QW47ICIDQ&bvm=bv.50723672,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNEPFkMDtUHgjQ2SRt7fPJLW08pAkA&ust=1376669675344429

compared to https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7L1OPD90z4h8FhvKy1fOsfvL4ZtQYQtnY8zWVrqQmBzf8fMW_ZA

I just wondered if there was something other than personal preference involved - like I said this could be dumb question :bang:

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

in Judo it's now quite common for upto half the class to own/wear a blue gi

5. Giovanni

no, nothing other than personal preference. and no, there are no dumb questions.

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

[​IMG]

I need one.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, the store near me does offer many more colors than I see else where. There are even pink gis, and yes, I've seen girls on the mat wearing pink. Giovanni is right, though, that tournament rules impose color restrictions. (Tournament rules also impose size restrictions -- that is, how close to your wrist the sleeve must come, and so on.)

8. Giovanni

i've seen matt thornton rock one of those in a video. so cool.

frankly, i don't see why the ibjjf cares. but that's just me. there's even no-gi color requirements, which i also think is ridiculous.

9. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

10. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

Nice Gi!

I was going to say maybe it was something to do with darker colours not getting so dirty but then I remember some Gracie affiliated video about how clean they keep their mats you could eat ya dinner off 'em.

While on subject of Gi (is that the correct plural for more than one?) -> What are considered good brands? I know where I am with normal sportswear Nike etc, I guess some Gi are better quality than others? If you can't tell already I will be shopping for my first little number in the very near future

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I like darker colors because blood and such doesn't show up on it. I have a Koral and a Gameness gi. They're both super nice.

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Maybe she left a red sock in the wash....

Cheers

Dan93

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Colored Gi's? Nothing new..... :)

[​IMG]

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

But it Gene Lebell! I not brave enough to say he looks daft in a pink gi.

Cheers

Dan93

15. odysseus

odysseus Valued Member

Gene will turn you into a pretzel at his old age... he still got it.

16. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

i always turn heads in it.

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

There is one thing that I have noticed regarding gi colors- there are some that match belt colors in their trim, such as a blue trim, purple trim, brown trim I forget the brand but they have a logo that is the corresponding color too.