creationist creeping on kids' video games

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Giovanni, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

my kids got an ipad from their grandparents for xmas. i let them put some free games on there. during game play of free games, there are typically ads during a break in the action. i was cooking dinner and heard that my oldest was watching an ad, but could really hear what was going on. but when i took a closer look, turns out the ad was actually a creationist video from answers in genesis.

the old argument from absurdity: this organ (bacterial flagellum) is so complex, there's no way it could have arisen naturally, without divine intervention.

i know i muffed the response. i was actually flabbergasted and i told my kid repeatedly that he's being lied to. but he got sucked in by the graphics and story. and really, a 7-year-old is just going to believe whatever nonsense is put in front of him with some production value.

i'm so upset about it.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I really don't feel like biology is that complicated a thing. Certain elements get together and form certain things that react in certain ways, and eventually you get something like a cell in the right environment. As complicated as we think biology is, it's more complicating due to the vast variety and sheer volume, not so much the why certain things are doing things the way they are.

Now, quantum mechanics and the concept of time and gravity and stuff like that on the other hand 0_0.

I hope you told your child that the people who made the advertisement are just stupid and voted for Trump xD

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What I find really upsetting is how the people who come up with this nonsense must be aware on some level that they are cherry-picking and lying to people.

What about all the redundancies, genetic disorders, evolutionary cul-de-sacs, poorly adapted organs, vestigial bits n' bobs?

I don't know how they can live with the cognitive dissonance.

The people who just accept the propaganda and never look into it I can understand, but not the people who actually study biology and then cherry-pick the bits they think will fool the ignorant into thinking there is evidence of a spooky sky daddy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. David Harrison

Imagine the public uproar if Muslim groups started paying for ads on kids games.

People would be all like "they're trying to brainwash our kids into believing in a phoney god!".

The irony...

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Ipad was it? I wonder if Apple is happy to have these ads snuck onto their devices? If they were informed that the ad has been put on without proper disclosure then you might find that they pull the ads and lessen the ability of those persons to proselytize.

As David mentioned the same people would be pretty upset if their kids were getting ads from Richard Dawkins or others without their consent.

LFD

7. David Harrison

Yeah, I'd say it is worth reporting it to Apple. Or just sell your story to a news outlet...

Someone help me out with a good news headline pun that involves Apple or iPad with something like holy rollers or tabernacle or something... I'm sure there's a doozy in there somewhere...

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Snakes use Apple to corrupt innocent"

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  9. David Harrison

Nice! :D

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We REALLY need the thanks button back. That was genius.

11. Giovanni

ha ha ha. awesome!

the thing is, how will people ever know they've been bamboozled? how will my kid ever know that it's all nonsense. this is the problem with religion. you can't even prove it one way or another.

like, try to disprove zeus.

it's not like certain bubbles which we know will pop--they have no choice but to pop. think global warming. all those people still living in florida that refuse to believe reality, even as their streets are flooding, and still live there, and vote republican. think the denier in chief himself. the resort that he owns is on an island that is going to be--very soon--underwater. god i wish i could be in his head when that happens, if he's even still alive--that guy that doesn't work out, is old, and eats fast food every day.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why is everyone assuming Apple did this? The game is "free" because the advertisers are paying for it, right? When I read "free games with ads" my first thought is that this Answers in Genesis group paid the game maker to include its ads in the game. I don't expect Apple was involved at all.

I expect that, too, but I have a parallel thought at the same time.

A hundred years ago when I regularly watched regular tv I'd see full-length tv commercials by the Mormon church. I'm not a fan of the Mormon church, so part of me would be upset by the commercials. I'd wish they weren't on my show. But at the same time another part of me would be upset that my own church group never ever once made a tv commercial like that, not once.

The commercials were gorgeous -- they were seriously expertly made. They were beautiful to watch. Yet my church group never once made a tv commercial like that. So I was upset that "they" were doing what "we" should be doing but were too lazy to do, and "they" did it brilliantly. :dunno: Same thing with these iPad game advertisements, right?

Has no science group ever thought of paying for "Bill Nye the Science Guy" ads? Or the "Cosmos" tv series? Or anything like that? I guess not.

So, kudos to Answers in Genesis for doing it first and doing it well.

13. philosoraptor

Yes, kudos to AiG for lying to children.

14. Giovanni

so because there are science shows on tv, we need more religion ads for kids' games?

15. aikiMac

Way to miss the point, Giovanni. :rolleyes:

16. philosoraptor

"Sure heroin is terrible, but you gotta admire the way they advertise it!"

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Who the hell watches commercials though?

If your kids are watching commercials, you're failing as a parent. Just sayin'.

18. Giovanni

i think you're missing the point, aikimac.

i'm waiting for when you give your approval for an islam commercial on a free game your own children are playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ccfYGF4glg

19. aikiMac

I don't like to talk with people who don't respect me enough to listen.

What I said was this:

20. philosoraptor

I think it's more pernicious than that even; what we're seeing is a deliberate attempt to mislead children here. The fact of the matter is that the flagella is not irreducibly complex.