Sex sells, unfortunately.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would restart capoeira and try that approach if it wasn't for the cost and class times.

I'm a little on the fence with this. I agree that people should be free to do and post what they want on their sites and do what they want to make money. However, I do feel that in many cases they are pressurised into taking the overtly sexual posing route because otherwise they won't get the sponsorship deals or the media exposure. So when they agree to take that route to make the money, they encourage that type of media campaign. That being said, if you are in an job with a relatively short career lifespan and relatively low pay, then I can see why people agree to these images. You have to make ends meet some way.

On a related note, I remember being surprised after watching an interview with Jason Kenny (Olympic cyclist) in which he said that he struggled to get sponsorship because he wasn't conventionally attractive, whereas his partner, Laura Trott had loads of offers. So the attractiveness thing in advertising also affects men.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

AAAAGHHHHHHH.

Send Hannibal money now.

Stop this from happening.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

1) I don't think Kenny can complain; sponsors can work with this:

[​IMG]

2) Laura Trott and Jason Kenny totally look related.

[​IMG]

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

To be honest I wouldn't say female classes are something bad. I think just the fact that it is a class for women only could attract some. I have seen some fitness for women. I think that by itself is less intimidating than a "beginner class". Because women could think there will be others just like them and not macho people that just want to start somewhere. We have a self-defence class for women at our dojo. The techniques are karte-based, but not karate. And if some student enjoys it, they either go through the course again, or more often choose to start with the karate classes. The reason being they get familiar with what the classes look like in general or what approach the teacher has. They wouldn't mind that the karate class is not only for women, but if it was called karate and open for everyone from the beginning, I know a few, now karatekas, who would have never start, although they now enjoy it a lot.
    If the lack of sparring is the main point of the class, well, I would see it simply as one of the approaches to attract student and to slowly get them familiar with the school and techniques. And the women-only class being another approach.
    Who doesn't like the classes being separaed by gender won't come or will join the standard class right away. Who likes it, it is an easy way for them to join.
    If there was a class for beginners (that could have been mostly filled with women), I would see it as a discouragement for anyone to join the regular classes with sparring straight away.
    It's just an approach and when it works and people join, then why not? If women want to start MA, but won't because of fear of sparring, I see a sparring-less class as a good think - it's better to do something rather than nothing. And if they never start, they will have no chance to ultimately join a normal MA class, will they?

5. Frodocious

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I agree with the overall sentiment entriely on that article, but it most certainly is not a female thing.... Check out male stock photos and you see the same thing

Again which would make you go to gym....A ripped and tanned 24 year old fitness model with pecs you can ski on and abs that can grate cheese or a transparent, angry looking 43 year old with a.knife fetish?

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I agree with the sentiment, I also agree with Hannibal's comments about male models.

There were two photos that I was struggling to see their point over though; 7 and 11. 7 is just an arty shot of someone running, I think anyone who thinks it looks like a voyeur took the photo is saying more about themselves than the photo. I don't see what's wrong with cropping the head in a photo either, plenty of male exercise pics also do that. I also don't get why 11 is a pervy photo; the site claims it is a crotch shot, but there is zero detail in the crotch area because of her black shorts, she is actively kicking the bag and is not pouting and posing near gym equipment, she looks like she knows what she's doing.

Anyway, not meaning to nitpick, just wondering if I'd missed anything obvious about them. Glad to hear that stock photo companies are starting to think about this stuff.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have issue with one of the pictures. Just the one that claims #stockphotossowhite which doesn't like the fact all the women are white?

9. David Harrison

Ha, missed that.

Because obviously there has never been a yoga class with all white female students :)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I read that article about Getty Images before I went to work out in a commercial gym today. While I agree that far too many images of women exercising are far too sexualised (for my taste anyway), practically every young female in the gym was doing exactly that: wearing skimpy shorts or figure-hugging leggings, and sports bras, and taking selfies on their smart phones. So meh, not like they have room to complain.

11. David Harrison

Hehe! Because all women are responsible for everything all other women do :)

I'm sure there are plenty of women taking sexualised gym photos, working for stock image companies that sell them, and picture editors who stick them in articles. Just because women are doing it too, doesn't mean everyone should just let them get on with it.

12. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I wonder how much of this comes down to the age old chicken and the egg question (which came 1st?) If countless years and over exposure of overtly sexualized images of athletes (either gender) have become the society 'norm' for this generation, then in their eyes at least wouldn't their attire be perfectly acceptable?

Of course, this does not make the advertisers and/or the media any less culpable, as their actions have been rife with intent, but then blaming the younger generation for believing what they have been sold, without knowing anything different, seems a tad harsh.

Travess

13. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Sorry, I missed your post.

It was quite a while ago, but I think this is where I heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXbzdRO7t98

14. Frodocious

There is also the fact that it is really difficult to buy women's workout clothing that isn't skimpy and figure hugging. I often bypass the women's section and go to the men's or children's section for my gear.

I suspect as well, that the fashion side of things puts some women off going to commercial gyms because they don't want to wear the skimpy clothing but feel they will be judged harshly if they turn up in baggy, non-fashionable stuff.