Less difficult less effective technique or more difficult more effective

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tom bayley, Oct 3, 2015.

1. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

For SD I wouldn't chose a more difficult technique to perform, keep it simple.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If you find it a difficult technique in resistant training, avoid it in a competition or real fights and rely on it in training.
    If you find it easy to produce results with in resistant training, rely on it in competition and real fights and avoid it in training.

How regularly it works for you in live practice is the only real scale of how easy and how effective a technique is in my mind. So there's no such thing as a difficult but effective technique. If you can regularly land and achieve the desired result with lead leg head kicks or flying scissors in resistant, unscripted training, they are both easy and effective for you. If you cannot, they are neither. How unusual or "advanced" the technique is is irrelevant.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

- Knowing right tool for the right job.

- Then perfecting technique.

- Then pressure testing.

- And in the end, consistency (e.g. can do it properly in your sleep).

All the above makes things simple or we could also say, only simply things can meet the requirements of all of the above.

I think the whole conversation about using complex or simple starts with knowing the right tool for the right job... is this really what we are discussing here?

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Since the leg is longer than the arm, you can use "toe push kick" (which is longer than the heel kick) to counter all punches. You just can't find another MA technique that's "less difficult" and "more effective".

[​IMG]

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on what I thought would land. If he was flat footed I would leg kick, if his hands were low I would head kick.

6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

When choosing a technique do you generally think more about landing the technique than what the impacts of a technique will be when it lands?

Would the balance shift if you felt you were behind on points in a fight?

7. Pretty In Pink

I'm trying to inflict damage. That is my main goal. Ever punch and kick I have to imagine is going to stop, or set up something that will stop them.

I've never experienced it in mma but I have in bjj. It just means you have to push the pace.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Spinning backfists are one off my least favorite techniques. You don't see that many in professional fights. Saw a fight on the TV once when the guy won by repeatedly doing spinning backfists. His opponent clearly had no answer for them. Presumably because he had not trained to defend against them because you don't see them that often.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

So you would push the pace more, you would not take greater risks? or try harder for single techniques with a big impact that rather than many techniques with smaller impact?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Are we talking about sparring and/or ring fighting?

Thinking about a technique is a path to failure, so even the most basic of techniques (if there us such a thing) is destined not to work if thought about prior to delivery.

Bruce Lee said, "I don't hit, it hits all by itself" and this is where we should be.

I think we should worry less about what may or may not work and practice delivery, timing, balance and so on.

That way when you need it, it's there.

I'm all for being tight and defensive, but I also tell my students, "hit from where your hands are".

So sometimes you are throwing a jab or front kick from a regular balanced stance and sometimes you are throwing a looping fight hand or rear elbow because that is the best shot from where you find yourself.

11. Pretty In Pink

Not likely. I'd change rythm and flow and footwork and pace, not necessarily techniques.