So my karate journey begins

Discussion in 'Karate' started by furinkazan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

really taken a liking to Goju Ryu, had my grading this weekend just gone. The physical fitness tests were murder for the two hours it went on, I actually threw up near the end but kept going. I've gone from white to orange belt because I put a lot of time into working kata outside of class and in additional lessons, so I picked it up and got to grade with gekisai dai ichi, feeling really pleased, like I've sort of restarted martial arts properly since my time in the Bujinkan

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Goju always looks good to me, glad you're enjoying it :)

Mitch

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

good stuff! Enjoy the journey.

4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

That sounds great, congrats! :)

Can I ask what grade is the orange belt? Did you skip one grade or more? (You'd have to pass 4 gradings to get an orange belt in the branch of goju I do, so it made me curious) :)

5. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

It was a double grade. In ours, it goes white, yellow, orange, then red and others (which im not entirely sure on the order of up till black) but i believe its 7th kyu now if Im correct?

6. Shodan_Marcus

Shodan_Marcus Valued Member

I wish there was a Goju club in my area, unfortunately there is not so I have moved to Kyokushin style from Shotokan in order to get what I want.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

EDIT: Derp :p

@furinzakan - great news buddy, congrats :D

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Think you may have that back to front Lemon... :woo:

Travess

9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sounds very similar to our rankings, at least as far as the 1st few grades are concerned, though I think that would make you 8th Kyu rather than 7th...

...Well done though, it is clear that you not only have you been putting in the effort, but that you have also been recognised for doing so.

Regards

Travess

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

ssssshhh, no-one else noticed...

:p

In my defence, I haz man-flu :D