Ninjutsu for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Emil, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Any thoughts on how good Ninjutsu is for Self Defence?

2. MattJ

MattJ New Member

Hi Akasha.

Ninjutsu, like any other art, is only as good as the teacher and the student using it. Simply studying that or any other ART will not invest you with any superior skills. Check out some different schools in your area and train one that you like.

3. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Well, I already practise Jui Jutsu and JKD, and have done so for many years. But I was just wondering, in corellation to other Martial Arts, how does Ninjutsu stand?

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Have you tried a class?

5. NaziKiller

NaziKiller New Member

Not very good.

6. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hi Akasha,

Read post #2 by MattJ on this thread. There's your answer :)

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

it depends on how you use it, if you think its going to change your life and make you hard think again, if you think that YOU need to adapt to its usefulness you might stand a chance.

Its only as good as the person using it. ;)

8. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, well, what I was thinking was I could mould the techniques in m=with my JKD as I have with Jui Jutsu - as many of the techniques in Jui Jutsu, I have found, simply wouldn't work unless they were altered.

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The question becomes, what questions are your two current arts not answering for you. Both JJ and JKD can be good self defense systems. Why are you looking for something else?

- Matt

10. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Why are you looking for something else?

11. Emil

Emil Valued Member

It isn't so much that I have ham looking for the answers to some of my questions; it's more that i am looking to add something to my martial arts knowledge. Besides, I have now arranged to attend a class on thursday, so I guess I can see for myself.

12. Ninja.. OF DOOM

Ninja.. OF DOOM New Member

From what I know about Ninjitsu, I don't think it'd be that good for self-defense. Your ju-jitsu and JKD should cover self-defense pretty well.

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

as what you know doesn't even extend to being able to spell it, I think your advice is best given a wide berth.

14. Raven Wing

Raven Wing Valued Member

Its been said before but

Its not so much the art as how its trained. I've only trained with one Bujinkan school so I cannot comment on the rest of them but where I am I feel gives a good mix of self defence and more "art" stuff. It helps that the senior instuctor at our place has "done a bit" - served in the military and experienced other martial arts and most of the guys I train with are pretty open about their training rather than just the blinkered "our stuff is the best everything else is rubbish" attitude that you hear about (though I suspect the attitude is less common in real life than it might seem from the internet).

15. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Akasha said:-
    Which class have you arranged to visit? Perhaps you could report back to us what your impressions were?

16. Emil

Emil Valued Member

It's a class in a little village I live near called Rhuabon. I wanted to go to the Mountaain Warrior Dojo, but I have been on the waiting list for more than a year now, so I'm gonna leave it. I'll report on the Rhuabon class later in the week.

17. manchesterdojo

manchesterdojo Valued Member

Have you tried the Shadow Warrior Bujinkan Dojo in Chester? If you haven't the send me a private message and I'll give you their contact details.

18. Ninja.. OF DOOM

Ninja.. OF DOOM New Member

OMGZ NINJA OF DOOM MADE TYPO HE SUX LOLZ!

Dude, it was a typo. You're the one who doesn't understand how to use capital letters at the beginning of a sentence.

Anyway, I still stand by what I said.

19. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. Thanks dude.

20. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Akasha said:-
    Ahem. *I* am the Mountain Warrior Dojo! :rolleyes:

You did indeed visit us extremely briefly (uninvited I might add), not to train but to watch once and to pick up some information on a second flying visit, over a year ago. You never expressed a firm interest in becoming a member and so you were never placed on the waiting list. At no point since you visited have you made any attempt to contact us regarding being placed on the waiting list. Please read the following point taken from the FAQ section of my website.

My class has a self-imposed upper limit of twelve active students at any one time. Each week, I get approximately six applications to join the waiting list (it's only Tuesday and I've got four so far this week alone). I mostly point all those people in the direction of other groups and even other arts as appropriate. To take on so many students would seriously affect the quality of training I provide. We must be doing *something* right because people are often prepared to wait for a very long time simply to be invited to visit us.

You might ask why I have such a stringent recruitment procedure. Most instructors will tell you that they get a lot of people through the door who say they want to train but don't actually know anything about the art - if that is so, how can they know that they want to train in it? My way of doing things ensures that we only recruit genuinely enthusiastic people who already know a little about the art and who want to take the next step and begin actual training. Again, we must be doing something right because, whilst many martial arts classes have a student turnover rate that is measured in weeks or perhaps months, our student turnover rate is measured in years.

If you want to discuss the issue further, please feel free to PM me.

The class in Ruabon is run by Larry Watson who is a good friend of mine. Tell him I said hi. :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006