Choy li fut

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jmontero, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Jmontero

Jmontero New Member

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some information. I understand that typically the first forms that one should learn is the 5 wheel stance and the 5 wheel fist form. Is there a specific order one should learn forms afterwards?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP from a fellow CLFer!

Those two forms are usually taught at the beginning level, but not always. (My school teaches them at an advanced level.) Different schools and lineages teach different forms. CLF has so many forms- so very many that there is no set standard.

Doesn't your school have a curriculum? You should learn what forms your instructor teaches you.

Where are you studying and from what lineage? I take it you just started from your post?

Again Welcome!

3. Jmontero

Jmontero New Member

Hello Aaradia,

I am very much a beginner. Unfortunately where I am located there are no CLF schools at all and I am trying to learn as much as I can in anyway I can.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Find somewhere you can train and go back to CLF when it's available to you :)

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

7. aaradia

Agree with Ben Gash CLF and Chadderz. Go train where you can find a qualified instructor. Hopefully, you can find a CLF school, but if not, it is better to train another style under an instructor than try to self teach CLF.

8. aaradia

But here is an example of what I am talking about. My school is part of the Plumblossom Federation, but our curriculum is different than this. Not even all Plumblossom schools follow this.

If you google other lineages, you can find other online curriculum requirements and they are also very different.

There is no one set CLF curriculum or order of learning things, even within lineages under the same GM, it can (and is) different.

9. Jmontero

Jmontero New Member

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your suggestions

10. Jmontero

Jmontero New Member

Does anyone know of any sifu that teaches CLF in the Cincinnati area I am willing to travel some if needed.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

No, but there do appear to be a couple of Tien Sha Pai schools which are always worth a look.