Makiwara

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Laksa, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Laksa

Laksa New Member

Hi everyone,
    First post on this forum. I'm from Melbourne - Australia
    I'm having a bit of trouble trying to obtain a floor mounted makiwara. I've tried Okinawa direct but they don't answer emails. Shureido Australia do not have the full Makiwara set.

I'm not handy with tools so not game nor can be bothered putting one together. Is there anyone out there who makes makiwaras in Melbourne Victoria?

Cheers
    Laksa

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Laksa

Laksa New Member

Thanks Simon. Cheers

4. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Hi Laksa,

sorry, but I don't know of any commercial outfit, have you tried ringing Tans Martial Arts?

I made myself a makiwara the povvo way by using some DAR Tassie Oak from Bunnings in a leaf-spring arrangement. I didn't glue them together, but I know of others who have, and I think it has worked out successfully for them. I have seen pictures of them with three boards, but I just used two. To mount it, I dug a hole in the ground. It worked fine for a couple of years until I hit it too hard and snapped it. You can see pics of how it is put together here.

If you want it floor mounted, buy a post stirrup from Bunnings at the same time and bolt it in that. No woodworking skill required!

5. Laksa

Laksa New Member

Hi Melb Goju,

Thanks for your advice. I will certainly take it on board as an option. Sounds like you know what you're doing. I will visit Bunnings tomorrow abd see what they stock.

Tans martial arts do not carry Makiwara posts. Shureido Japan replied and said there is a two month waiting period. I'm hoping Okinawa Direct will reply soon.

Cheers
    Laksa

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Welcome to MAP!

Do you need a floor mounted makiwara specifically, or could you use something like a maize bag for the same purposes? Also, is making either a portable one you can hang up or a DIY one planted in the ground out of the question?

8. SamuraiMaster

SamuraiMaster New Member

Welcome in the forum, do they actually have dojos in austrlia, or do you guys just train on the warm beaches? hhhhhhhmmmmm nice