Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have shot a series of short videos aimed at the the beginner/intermediate student who needs some help with their sparring.

I see lots of questions on here about how to move in on a strong well structured opponent. The answer is you can't, not unless you set him up first.

This first video is based on The Progressive Indirect Attack.

Progressive indirect attack (PIA) differs from attack by combination in that in PIA only the final blow is intended to score. Progressive indirect attack uses feints and false attacks to draw a reaction from the opponent, to induce the execution of a block or other defensive motion, then deceive the defensive move to score on another line of attack. The initial feint or false attack should bridge the distance by at least a half, leaving your final motion only the last half of the distance. Progressive indirect attack is a single forward motion without withdrawal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsS8bbDW_Rw"]Progressive Indirect Attack - YouTube[/ame]

2. Simon

The idea of this video series is to give the beginner student some ideas on how to enter when sparring without being tagged on the way in.

I see many threads here asking for tips, especially against bigger stronger guys.

The second video will be on single direct attack (single shots), the third video on attack by drawing, or counter fighting, and the final two videos on trapping and combination punching.

The Southpaw stance you see in the video very much comes from my JKD influence.

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Thank you Simon for the video, it was a pleasure to watch.

I nominate this to be stickied.

4. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

Thank you for the Video(s)!

I second Seventh! Stickie!

5. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I promise I'll try not to be too critical on this :D

7. JonWal

JonWal Valued Member

Cheers for putting the video up, I'll be starting sparring shortly after my initial grading and am trying to gather together as many tips as possible.

Will follow your series closely.

Cheers, Jon

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Nice tidy video Simon. I'm going to show this one to my sword students as the concepts equally apply to it.

Cheers,
    The Bear.

9. Simon

Thank you. I'm glad others see the crossover in principles.

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Great and helpful video!

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Kinda wondering when some of you lazy weapons people are going to make a similar thing ;)

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

This is great man, nice and simple to understand. This series is definitely going to help me with my spars, thanks for taking the time to do these.

13. Simon

You are more than welcome.

The second and third videos have been shot and edited and the next will be posted on the weekend.

It is on single direct attack and should help in understanding when to fire out that single shot, be that a punch or kick.

14. Simon

Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 2

This video is based on Single Direct Attack.

Single direct attack is simply punching or kicking an opponent at the precise moment of an opening. Single direct attack requires mastery of timing, range and speed and can be used as a pre-cursor to attack by combination (which will be another video). Visual recognition is important in understanding which and when each punch or kick should be utilised.

Although I'm not quite as pleased with this video it does hopefully explain my "watch the turbines" theory, which is how to spot when the opponent is going to hit.
    Armed with this knowledge you can time your own entrance with a far greater degree of success.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-BnqC6VfvA"]Single Direct Attack MPG - YouTube[/ame]

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Simon,

Thanks for the videos. I like your style of teaching and the way you break things down. Looking forward to the next one.

Osu!

Dan93

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  16. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Well I just came back from karate and during the sparring (yes we do them every week) I was doing so much better. Not just from your explanation about progressive indirect attacks, but I also got something from the way you stepped in.

You see, your step in made me realize how much of an idiot I was all this time. I've watched so many martial arts videos and yet I never noticed this at all.

So I always stepped in straight, whereas you naturally stepped in a bit diagonally. This made all the difference for me when stepping in. I actually even dodged several punches to my head just by stepping off my line when stepping in, even though I sometimes didn't even see the punch coming.

I gave the progressive indirect attack a try and after some trial and error, I was starting to clearly hit my opponents more cleanly and quite easily too actually. I kept them busy with a few quick punches during my diagonal step in and suddenly there were openings everywhere. I figured out that if I quickly altered between high and low before throwing the 'real' punch, I could even force them into full defense rather easily. Repeating this against the same opponents made most of my sparring partners go into defensive mode against me. I found this rather funny, since I was always the one who was mostly defense in spars. With the brown belts and higher this had a much smaller effect though, but I was still doing so much better against them than I normally would. Of course this is only natural, because they already do these techniques against each other.

But still, I was so surprised at how much better I was doing. Not stepping in straight and keeping my opponents busy with a few 'garbage' shots during my step in before giving a real one gave me openings I never even knew existed. This was the most fun session I ever had and I have to give my thanks to Simon for it. :love:

17. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Nice video, looking forward to apply this in Boxing.

Just noticed this, but are you a Southpaw Simon?

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Another quality video Simon. Clear, concise explanation of universal martial principles. These should be on everyone's must watch list.

The Bear.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

A dominant-hand lead is pretty common for folks from a JKD or FMA background. And Simon has both. :)

20. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Both of those were very nice Simon. Keep it up! I want to see more from you :)